British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

webfact

3 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Thanks. Well I am happy to be proven wrong. So he has a work permit on his Visa exemption. I never knew this was possible, now I know. Good day to you sir.

No one said he had a work permit.  He's almost certainly not working now anyway.  

He'd need a non-Immi visa B to get a work permit and by the sounds of it, he doesn't have one. 

He probably came not even realising he'd need a work permit, much less the correct visa to get one.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I noted the following from the cited news article.

If indeed they did sell their Devon home, with a median house price in Devon of £267,956, I reckon they can afford 30-day extensions for at least a year, no?

That's assuming there were no mortgages or other loans to pay off first ...

I'm sure they would have much less capital than you assumed.

1 minute ago, Mister Fixit said:

No one said he had a work permit.  He's almost certainly not working now anyway.  

He'd need a non-Immi visa B to get a work permit and by the sounds of it, he doesn't have one. 

He probably came not even realising he'd need a work permit, much less the correct visa to get one.

Which was my point all along. I said his only problem was that he was working illegally which upset a fellow forumite. You might want to re-read the thread. We are in agreement here!

6 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

“And then we think ‘what happens after all of this, what happens in 30 days or if we’re stuck here for two or three months.’

“We’ll have no money left by that point.”

Selling their house and car in England only got them enough to tide them over for a few months?

Been living the high life on the island, haven't we?

I doubt they'd be living the high life, not with two very young children with them.

I suspect they thought he'd be working (illegally) and having some sort of income and she would perhaps doing her online teaching (again illegally).  No-one is daft enough to just live off their capital, are they?  Oh, wait ...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

You live on 1875 paying two rents in Bangkok, university fees for son? How do you do that? 

I would suggest very comfortably.

£1,875 at today's exchange rate is just over 75,000 Baht.

Most Expat families could easily survive on that, especially when they are at a stage where they only have rent and food to worry about.

I have a wife and three children with me in Thailand with the oldest in her third year of university and we could easily survive on 75,000 Baht per month.

This is Thailand, not Vegas or Dubai.

Most Thai families would be happy trying to survive on 20,000 Baht per month.

With two rents to pay? 75000 Baht? I'm in Chiang Mai, I easily pay 140,000 Baht. A house here costs 35,000 if it is of any any quality with a good pool. Even with a a cheaper house that'd be 60000 Baht alone, add university fees, food, I spend 30,000 Baht on food alone every month. Do you live in a rural villlage or something?

I'm not talking about Thai families, I'm talking about European families living a lifestyle they are used to.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Which was my point all along. I said his only problem was that he was working illegally which upset a fellow forumite. You might want to re-read the thread. We are in agreement here!

You said 'So he has a work permit on his Visa exemption. I never knew this was possible, now I know.'

Unless you were being sarcastic, you are wrong.

15 minutes ago, banglay said:

Do you actually believe all the figures coming out from Thailand ???  they do not add up .. Chinese Year (25th January 20)  over 500.000 Chinese Tourists came to Thailand in that week with unrestricted access and  with a large proportion of that figure coming from the Wuhan province ...

Italy's original infection is believed to come via  Chinese tourist visit the country .. and their number were miniscule compared to how many came to Thailand over the same time period ...

Or maybe  thai's are immune .....

No, but I don't believe the figures coming out the UK either. Even Sir Patrick Vallance doesn't. He said the real number of cases is ten or twenty times higher. And Neil Ferguson said peak infection time is about second week of April. 

Could get ugly in the UK.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Have some compassion.

There's enough sob stories about Thai people losing their jobs and all the rest of it......

Imagine if i said the below about them....... think before you comment!

857,299 have corona.

42,114 dead because of corona.

100 million business close because corona.

2 billion loose the job. 

Why this story news now? 

Are they famous?

Have compassion with them ?? You got to be joking (actually I do not think they are asking for anything, yet anyway ???? ) .... As one other posted commented .. They have sold up and moved out ... How much cash do they have in the bank ?  How long can they live on that ?  How does that compare with many others ...  Clearly very responsible parents .. I wounder i they have full medical insurance for themselves and the kids ....  Then go on and splash it all over the news ...  ..

Where is that BMW again?

Sure live a carefree life and take responsibility for your own actions ...  I got no problem with that ???? ...

39 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

It reads to me that they have extended their Visa Exemption once, then have extended again with a letter, meaning that this seems to be their third extension

They only arrived beginning of March, so maybe read again !! ????

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Have compassion with them ?? You got to be joking (actually I do not think they are asking for anything, yet anyway ???? ) .... As one other posted commented .. They have sold up and moved out ... How much cash do they have in the bank ?  How long can they live on that ?  How does that compare with many others ...  Clearly very responsible parents .. I wounder i they have full medical insurance for themselves and the kids ....  Then go on and splash it all over the news ...  ..

Where is that BMW again?

Sure live a carefree life and take responsibility for your own actions ...  I got no problem with that ???? ...

Wind your neck in, imagine how boring the world would be if everyone lived in the rat race, he who dares wins etc.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, they came here when there were already very serious Covid 19 problems, infections, large scale death in many countries (China and Italy just 2 examples. Idiots.

But, as we all know, not in Thailand.

Thailands brilliant handling of the situation had resulted in far, far fewer casualites (1 death?) than S.Korea.

S. Korea being held up as an example of outstanding handling of the situation. 

Why should the happy family (and all the happy tourists who continued to arrive) have been concerned?

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

It is no more difficult for his family than the others who have been stranded around the world
p.g.a coronavirus
He is a sneak trying to get sympathy.

The world screams wolf but only sheep are coming.

This forum never ceases to amaze me how so many 'experts' there appear to be! Then there are those who bicker off topic and can't be proven wrong. I notice that during this period, there are even more 'experts' and cases.

How can any of us know or even predict how much equity this family had in their house and car?! And the same for their visa status.

Back on the topic (which should be an April Fool), there's a 16-year age gap between the parents.

The dad will be 60 by the time the kids are into their teens.

Koh Phangan has pretty average diving, and yes it's near the end of the season.

Very foolish parents, if it's a true story. But the mum's tattoo might suggest that she's someone who acts without thinking in the longer term.

As the first couple or replies pointed out, WHY IS THIS NEWS?

Anyway, it keeps members happy because we're up to 7 pages in as many hours! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2long said:

Back on the topic (which should be an April Fool), there's a 16-year age gap between the parents

And??

Murdoch had kids in his 80s

How many TVP have younger children and they are over 60?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"Relocated"? 

What does that mean? 

Sold everything? Came with little kids? 

My BS-dar is screaming WARNING!

Relocated means to move to Thailand without having a plan. I only feel sorry for the kids, to be honest.

These people do not look like they could homeschool them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

I vaguely remember dad had a saying for dumb Rs's like them "Ships for brains" or something like that.

I Think You'll find Yer Dad said..................S*IT for Brains,Mate !!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

A house here costs 35,000 if it is of any any quality with a good pool.

Oh of course, to survive here you will definitely need a luxury house with a good pool, I'm sure that the house that they sold in the UK also had a pool.

I spend 30,000 Baht on food alone every month.

Really, how much food do you eat?

Are you getting your food flown in on your own private jet?

I'm talking about European families living a lifestyle they are used to.

And I'm talking about a family are claiming that they are fighting to survive.

The lifestyle that you are suggesting would be out of reach for most UK families in their own country and indicates a lifestyle far above the lifestyle they are used to.

I'm not talking about Thai families

Why not, they have to survive the same as everyone else, they don't need a palace with a swimming pool to get by.

Just because you are so wasteful with your money it does not mean that everyone else has to waste the same amount as you to have an enjoyable lifestyle.

I have lived here for over 20 years and I have never seen any other expats with bills and expenditure as large as yours.

I stand by my earlier statement that most Expat families could easily survive on 75,00 Baht per month, the fact that you can't comes down to your own personal lifestyle choices and does not reflect the average expat family living in Thailand.

It's 40 degrees in Thailand, why would you not get a house with a pool? Plus if you have two kids it's practically an essential.

I'm not getting my food flown in on a private jet, but a small pack of Boursin is 250 Baht, a pack of Prosciutto 300 Baht, two Australian Ribeyes 360 Baht, Waitrose croissants 290 Baht, it all adds up. With a family of four you can easily spend 30,000 Baht.

I don't think spending 3000 pounds a month is a lifestyle above what this UK family of four is used to.

"The median annual earnings for full-time employees in the United Kingdom was approximately 30.35 thousand British pounds in 2019. "

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1002964/average-full-time-annual-earnings-in-the-uk/

Edited by Logosone