British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

webfact

Just now, qwertyuiop said:

No they won't. The NHS is not available free of charge to Non-Residents. They would have to show that they had resettled in the UK, not simply returning for health care.

This particular couple sold everything and have nothing to go back to

The NHS don't check though. And since you don't have domicile registration like in other European countries, all that people would have to do is give a UK address. 

Even if they had to provide a registered address, they could provide one from their parents.

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're not explaining anything. It's widely known that a lot of people live cheaply in Thailand. This does not apply to families in all cases, with two children. 

You're the one who's closing your ears and mind to the fact that not everyone lives cheaply in Thailand. It could easily be this family is spending as much as they say they are.

The point seems to be not whether you "do" live cheaply, but whether you"can" live cheaply when adversity hits.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Interesting that you know so much about their personal financial situation.  What sort of house did they sell and what car were they driving at the time?  And you know what their mortgage was?  Maybe they need you to be their financial advisor.

Just reasonable estimates. Average house prices and average prices for 7 year old cars not hard to calculate.

Also, how much people generally owe a bank when they buy a house is not a magical figure shrouded in mystery.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mikebike said:

The point seems to be not whether you "do" live cheaply, but whether you"can" live cheaply when adversity hits.

Well, this poor family will have to, since they seem to be running out of options. But I can understand they are running down their savings the way they are, life in Thailand is not that cheap. Not much cheaper than Germany.

I just don't understand the lack of sympathy for a family that did nothing wrong. They got a job before they came out. They got into diffficulties through no fault of their own, only because of the global lockdown of the economies. It was not their fault. A man is deprived of his livelihood and there's no sympathy for a whole family in trouble?

They're your own people, British compatriots, What a strange attitude towards this nice family.

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 2

I just read their story they claim it cost them £500 for a letter from the British Embassy and and a 30 day visa if he was working he should have had a work permit and if she’s teaching English online she to should have a work permit if they sold there house and car I would imagine that they would have at least a million baht (25k) I can visualise a “ Go Fund Me Page “ appearing in the next few days do I have sympathy with them absolutely not and they choose to live in what is the most expensive part of the island where the supermarkets are miles away from them to shop .

I moved to Asia from Canada with two small children. It takes months of planning. Quit old job, sell house , sell car, book tickets, arrange visa, etc, etc. It is not something one cancels at the last minute. 

No job? Boo hoo. Just hunker down and wait just like the rest of the planet. Enjoy what you have while you have it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

It's 40 degrees in Thailand, why would you not get a house with a pool? Plus if you have two kids it's practically an essential.

I'm not getting my food flown in on a private jet, but a small pack of Boursin is 250 Baht, a pack of Prosciutto 300 Baht, two Australian Ribeyes 360 Baht, Waitrose croissants 290 Baht, it all adds up. With a family of four you can easily spend 30,000 Baht.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1002964/average-full-time-annual-earnings-in-the-uk/

LOL, you really think you are getting two Australian ribeyes for 360 baht? When it's about double that price in Australia?

More likely you have some quadruped from Udon Thani, species unknown. Haven't you understood in Asia generally, people tell you what you want to hear?

Edited by Lacessit

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The NHS don't check though. And since you don't have domicile registration like in other European countries, all that people would have to do is give a UK address. 

Even if they had to provide a registered address, they could provide one from their parents.

You have to have been out of the U.K. for a considerable time to be refused NHS treatment and then if you return to the U.K. all you have to do is telephone the DWP that you have moved back on a permanent basis and you get all your entitlements once you have informed them .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

No they won't. The NHS is not available free of charge to Non-Residents. They would have to show that they had resettled in the UK, not simply returning for health care.

This particular couple sold everything and have nothing to go back to

Illegal immigrants in the UK seem to have no trouble accessing NHS and GP services. Are they paying?

Edited by soi3eddie
Typo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Logosone said:
27 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Interesting that you know so much about their personal financial situation.  What sort of house did they sell and what car were they driving at the time?  And you know what their mortgage was?  Maybe they need you to be their financial advisor.

Just reasonable estimates. Average house prices and average prices for 7 year old cars not hard to calculate.

Also, how much people generally owe a bank when they buy a house is not a magical figure shrouded in mystery.

Oh, I see, bizarre, uninformed speculation, then! 

They had an 7-year old car, did they; how old was their house?  So go on, how much specifically did this couple owe their bank for their mortgage?  Did they have any other debts that they had to pay off from the proceeds of their car and house sale?

10 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

You have to have been out of the U.K. for a considerable time to be refused NHS treatment and then if you return to the U.K. all you have to do is telephone the DWP that you have moved back on a permanent basis and you get all your entitlements once you have informed them .

Once you have been out of the UK for 6 months, you lose your right to free NHS treatment.  

If you have stayed registered with your GP, you would probably be OK if you came back after that.

If you have been away, I think 2 years, you would have to pass the 'Habitual Residence'  test to get benefits

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Other than him appearing to be working or trying to work without the correct visa and WP I do not see their problem. They just sold their car and house in Devon so will be sitting with millions of baht in the bank. They should just enjoy the next few months of holiday in Phangan and when the world returns to normal decide what to do. They are in a much better position than 99% of the rest of us.

A few things seem strange in the article. As you say they've sold their house and car - maybe large mortgage and car loan?

Having both worked as dive instructors here in 2015 they are aware of the new tighter regime regarding correct visas, WP's etc; and must've read about all the recent tracking down of illegal workers and overstayeers. Or be totally stupid and have ignored all that.

They say they extended with a letter from the British Embassy - which suggests a tourist visa, and also say the husband was working as a dive instructor, which suggests illegally. They also say the extension renewal cost them GBP 500! Something a bit dodgy there - why not go themselves? 

Finally the wife chips in they're now teaching a little English to get by! Are they dumb and dumber or something? No WP, not likely the correct visa, no teacher qualifications etc etc.

Very soon their accommodation may well be provided for them! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Once you have been out of the UK for 6 months, you lose your right to free NHS treatment.

Only if you tell them.

I've been away 12 years, still registered with my (former) local GP.

You'd have to be exceptionally stupid to actually be refused/charged for NHS care.

Edited by BritManToo

It’s refreshing to see such examples. Proves to me that it’s not just my family that creates idiots (speaking of myself as that progeny).

Bringing kids to a foreign country, having no work visa (or so it seems from the full article and comments by the overly developed foreheaded parents) Is just bloody selfish and irresponsible regarding the kids. Imagine what it’s gunna look like when they’re picked up and taken to a detention centre, the kids will be traumatised!

3 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

If you have stayed registered with your GP, you would probably be OK if you came back after that.

If you have been away, I think 2 years, you would have to pass the 'Habitual Residence'  test to get benefits

It's a bit of a nonsense, because all they have to give is a UK address. No ID cards, no registration of domicile in the UK. How would the NHS know? They don't send out anyone to check this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

LOL, you really think you are getting two Australian ribeyes for 360 baht? When it's about double that price in Australia?

More likely you have some quadruped from Udon Thani, species unknown. Haven't you understood in Asia generally, people tell you what you want to hear?

This is not an Asian, this is a French butcher of my utmost confidence. We're simpatico. He slips me a ribeye for free maybe. I don't know why it was only 360, but I got two for that price. The meat was labelled "corn fed Australian beef". There is no way this French gentleman would lie to me. 

Edited by Logosone

35 minutes ago, Logosone said:

That's not true. Whilst it's fair to say some NHS Trusts are less concerned than others at enforcing the entitlement rules and collecting fees from those who must pay, there has been a tightening up.

They would instantly raise attention if they couldn't provide a permanent address and details of their current GP. 

Emergency treatment will always be given of course. Not like some countries where the bureaucracy comes first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That's not true. Whilst it's fair to say some NHS Trusts are less concerned than others at enforcing the entitlement rules and collecting fees from those who must pay, there has been a tightening up.

They would instantly raise attention if they couldn't provide a permanent address and details of their current GP. 

Emergency treatment will always be given of course. Not like some countries where the bureaucracy comes first.

But surely people move address in the UK? Why can't they just say they moved?

Before the NHS can enforce collecting fees they have to know that a person is not entitled to free care. How would the NHS know?

Of course they could just give details of their previous GP and the address of a parent.

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's a bit of a nonsense, because all they have to give is a UK address. No ID cards, no registration of domicile in the UK. How would the NHS know? They don't send out anyone to check this.

Depends on which Trust and depends on what the treatment is.

Few stitches in A&E, bit of sticky tape, maybe. In for an operation, checks will be made.

First suspicion would be failure to provide GP details. 

May get picked up, maybe not. NHS criticized for being too lenient and not diligent enough. Which suggests there is and will be tightening ups.

• Like 1