British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

webfact

What kind of moron packs up a young family, moves to a foreign county hoping for a dead end job, has no rainy day funds to protect his family and then cries “woe is me” when things predictably go to hell. No sympathy from me on this self induced misery but feel badly for the children of this irresponsible couple.

• Like 1

Keep it civil please.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

5 hours ago, banglay said:

Do you actually believe all the figures coming out from Thailand ???  they do not add up .. Chinese Year (25th January 20)  over 500.000 Chinese Tourists came to Thailand in that week with unrestricted access and  with a large proportion of that figure coming from the Wuhan province ...

Wuhan is not a province. Wuhan is the capital of Hubei province.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

They sold their house and car, but in 2-3 months they won't have money anymore?

Weren't many travel warnings issued in February already, but they still decided to fly in March?

Must be a <deleted> car and a dump of a house in a distressed area. Or else they spend like there's no tomorrow.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Basil B said:

They are living a dream... Unfortunately dreams turn into nightmares, my advice is get back to blighty while you can.

Found the following information on repatriation flights.

There are still seats available with Condor from Phuket or Bangkok at €99 one way on direct flights to Frankfurt. This price does not go up. They are primarily for Germans but Brits and EU citizens are welcome too providing there are seats.

Most of these direct flights are running half empty now so there should be plenty of room. From there you just need to take a flight back to the UK . Book online directly with Condor Airways. 

I think there are only 4 or 5 flights from each destination left now between the 3-9 April after that the German repatriation flights will stop. If they want to go home now is the last chance to do it.

Judging by their original level stupidity in coming they will probably elect to stay which is even more stupid.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

People make mistakes but throughout the process of selling your home, car and possessions, was there no pause for reflection. ?Normally two heads are better than one. 

Not if the combined IQ only adds up to 20

• Haha 1

Look having read through the posts here there is a lot of guessing going on and some factual mistakes.

1 They are on koh phangan,an island so no way will it be 40c,like upper or central Thailand,sea breezes ect.

2 where was it said by them they needed a pool,if they are near the beach they don't.

3 you can eat thai food cheaply,surely there must be a big c or something on the island,tesco,or some such where they can buy bread,milk ect.

4 They should be worrying less about covid than Dengue fever ,the island is riddled with it,i got it there back in my backpacking days,it floored me for a week,and was a young fit guy then.

5 a lot of conjecture about their financial situation as nothing was mentioned in the original article all these calculations of house prices in devon,if they had a mortgage ect,are meaningless. 

Regardless of this i still think it was a very silly thing to do period.

• Thanks 1

from the online article:

"Lauren claims the locals have helped them massively: “We have got a little house on the beach, purely because the local people have been so amazing."

Amazing Thailand. The locals helping stranded foreigners.  No "what a bloody dumb people let them sort it out themselves", just a kind hand helping them. NO FELLOW FARANG HELPING THEM NOT EVEN THEIR OWN BLOODY FAMILY.

Think about that, before posting next time again  insulting remarks like "Thai ppl are idiots and liars, etc". ONE THAI IS MORE HELPFUL THAN ALL FARANG COMBINED.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

What kind of moron packs up a young family, moves to a foreign county hoping for a dead end job, has no rainy day funds to protect his family and then cries “woe is me” when things predictably go to hell. No sympathy from me on this self induced misery but feel badly for the children of this irresponsible couple.

You'd be surprised by the amount of people that have no 'rainy day funds', for most normal working class people very unlikely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

This is not an Asian, this is a French butcher of my utmost confidence. We're simpatico. He slips me a ribeye for free maybe. I don't know why it was only 360, but I got two for that price. The meat was labelled "corn fed Australian beef". There is no way this French gentleman would lie to me. 

ROFL. Beef in Australia is not corn fed, it's grass fed. That's what those giant cattle stations in the Kimberley and Northern Territory are all about. Corn is what they give cattle in Kansas feedlots. Last time I looked, Australia grew wheat when the drought was not visiting.

While I can appreciate you have a good relationship with your butcher, and you are lucky to get low prices from him, the thought that what you are buying may be deliberately mislabelled to deceive both you and him has not occurred to you?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

ROFL. Beef in Australia is not corn fed, it's grass fed. That's what those giant cattle stations in the Kimberley and Northern Territory are all about. Corn is what they give cattle in Kansas feedlots. Last time I looked, Australia grew wheat when the drought was not visiting.

While I can appreciate you have a good relationship with your butcher, and you are lucky to get low prices from him, the thought that what you are buying may be deliberately mislabelled to deceive both you and him has not occurred to you?

LOL, You didn't know there's corn fed Australian beef? There is. They have corn fed and grass fed beef.

Here's a pic of grain fed beef on sale at Big C ????

https://www.bigc.co.th/australian-grain-fed-beef-ribeye-per-kg.html

He's French. A total above board butcher, he'd never lie about his meat. 

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

They sound like a couple of carefree backpackers. I guess they forgot about the kiddies! 

Living the dream ,  and wakening up to the nightmare .

Nothing new in Land of smiles ..

Edited by elliss

34 minutes ago, Mak25 said:

Wuhan is not a province. Wuhan is the capital of Hubei province.

My sincere apologies .. I used Wuhan because it is the  agreed City and epicenter that cultivated and nurtured this nasty virus . But thank you for bring it to my attention and correcting me.. I again apologies for making such a stupid school boy  error it obviously perplexed you so much you had to response  .

????

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

That's a very nice map.

I used to do roughly that journey every week to Plymouth from, wait....where the heck is Ramsgate and Broadstairs ??

They're still in exactly the same place that they have always been. Have you not seen a map before?

• Haha 1

One thing for sure when this is over tourists will return and some will want to dive or learn to dive.

But there will be fewer with less spending money, Dive centres will be fighting to survive, with so many expat diving instructors who have been in Thailand decades fighting to stay employed and remain in Thailand I do not see any chance for new kids on the block unless they are willing to work for free.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

LOL, You didn't know there's corn fed Australian beef? There is. They have corn fed and grass fed beef.

Here's a pic of grain fed beef on sale at Big C ????

https://www.bigc.co.th/australian-grain-fed-beef-ribeye-per-kg.html

He's French. A total above board butcher, he'd never lie about his meat. 

So you are changing the description from corn fed to grain fed. I can accept oats are grown in Oz for that purpose, because I once helped a farmer crop 15,000 acres of them. However, grain fed is a tiny minority against what is grass fed IF you can believe the labelling.

Enjoy your steaks, and thanks for a good laugh. As they used to say to me in America, you're not from around here, are you?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bartolo57 said:

Thailand under the virus an easy mistake to make - but Kho Tao what were they thinking. Almost text book stupid. 

I thought it was Koh Phangan, but where ever they are Devon would be far superior in every department.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So you are changing the description from corn fed to grain fed. I can accept oats are grown in Oz for that purpose, because I once helped a farmer crop 15,000 acres of them. However, grain fed is a tiny minority against what is grass fed IF you can believe the labelling.

Enjoy your steaks, and thanks for a good laugh. As they used to say to me in America, you're not from around here, are you?

It was labelled as corn fed beef from Australia! 

Pretty much every third Australian cow eats grains, even grassfed ones. 

I looked it up.

No, I'm not Australian. But your beef and lamb is not bad. I would prefer Italian, Argentinian, German or Irish, but they don't sell that here. 

Australia allows the use of hormones, so it is qualitatively inferior to European beef. But of course, Thailand buys Australian because it's closer, so not much that can be done about it really.