BANGKOK
webfact

British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

57 minutes ago, Logosone said:

They'll always have health insurance in the UK, because it's free.

No they won't. The NHS is not available free of charge to Non-Residents. They would have to show that they had resettled in the UK, not simply returning for health care.

This particular couple sold everything and have nothing to go back to

• Like 1

Just now, qwertyuiop said:

No they won't. The NHS is not available free of charge to Non-Residents. They would have to show that they had resettled in the UK, not simply returning for health care.

This particular couple sold everything and have nothing to go back to

The NHS don't check though. And since you don't have domicile registration like in other European countries, all that people would have to do is give a UK address. 

Even if they had to provide a registered address, they could provide one from their parents.

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're not explaining anything. It's widely known that a lot of people live cheaply in Thailand. This does not apply to families in all cases, with two children. 

You're the one who's closing your ears and mind to the fact that not everyone lives cheaply in Thailand. It could easily be this family is spending as much as they say they are.

The point seems to be not whether you "do" live cheaply, but whether you"can" live cheaply when adversity hits.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Interesting that you know so much about their personal financial situation.  What sort of house did they sell and what car were they driving at the time?  And you know what their mortgage was?  Maybe they need you to be their financial advisor.

Just reasonable estimates. Average house prices and average prices for 7 year old cars not hard to calculate.

Also, how much people generally owe a bank when they buy a house is not a magical figure shrouded in mystery.

• Haha 1

Is dive instructor one of the jobs that is available for foreigners?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mikebike said:

The point seems to be not whether you "do" live cheaply, but whether you"can" live cheaply when adversity hits.

Well, this poor family will have to, since they seem to be running out of options. But I can understand they are running down their savings the way they are, life in Thailand is not that cheap. Not much cheaper than Germany.

I just don't understand the lack of sympathy for a family that did nothing wrong. They got a job before they came out. They got into diffficulties through no fault of their own, only because of the global lockdown of the economies. It was not their fault. A man is deprived of his livelihood and there's no sympathy for a whole family in trouble?

They're your own people, British compatriots, What a strange attitude towards this nice family.

Edited by Logosone
  • Haha 2

irresponsible and selfish parents. sorry, have no sympathy for them

• Thanks 1

Gotta be an April Fools Joke! If not the parents are both fools and a joke!

• Haha 1

I just read their story they claim it cost them £500 for a letter from the British Embassy and and a 30 day visa if he was working he should have had a work permit and if she’s teaching English online she to should have a work permit if they sold there house and car I would imagine that they would have at least a million baht (25k) I can visualise a “ Go Fund Me Page “ appearing in the next few days do I have sympathy with them absolutely not and they choose to live in what is the most expensive part of the island where the supermarkets are miles away from them to shop .

I moved to Asia from Canada with two small children. It takes months of planning. Quit old job, sell house , sell car, book tickets, arrange visa, etc, etc. It is not something one cancels at the last minute. 

No job? Boo hoo. Just hunker down and wait just like the rest of the planet. Enjoy what you have while you have it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Logosone said:

It's 40 degrees in Thailand, why would you not get a house with a pool? Plus if you have two kids it's practically an essential.

I'm not getting my food flown in on a private jet, but a small pack of Boursin is 250 Baht, a pack of Prosciutto 300 Baht, two Australian Ribeyes 360 Baht, Waitrose croissants 290 Baht, it all adds up. With a family of four you can easily spend 30,000 Baht.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1002964/average-full-time-annual-earnings-in-the-uk/

LOL, you really think you are getting two Australian ribeyes for 360 baht? When it's about double that price in Australia?

More likely you have some quadruped from Udon Thani, species unknown. Haven't you understood in Asia generally, people tell you what you want to hear?

Edited by Lacessit

13 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The NHS don't check though. And since you don't have domicile registration like in other European countries, all that people would have to do is give a UK address. 

Even if they had to provide a registered address, they could provide one from their parents.

You have to have been out of the U.K. for a considerable time to be refused NHS treatment and then if you return to the U.K. all you have to do is telephone the DWP that you have moved back on a permanent basis and you get all your entitlements once you have informed them .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1