British family relocated to Thailand a week before coronavirus closed down the island - now they’re homeless and without work

webfact

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Oh but you do:

"In the 1980s and 1990’s, barley and triticale were the pre-dominant grains fed to Australian dairy cows. However, since the late 1990’s, wheat has become more commonly used. Other grains fed to dairy cows, particularly in the more northern dairying regions of Australia, are maize grain and sorghum."

Google Dr Steve Little "feeding maize grain to dairy cows in Australia"

Probably things have changed a bit since 1953.

I'm not saying that the corn-fed Australian beef was bad, it was very good. It's just not as good as Argentinian, Italian or Irish beef, that's all. That Australia allows hormones in beef, which is banned in Europe, is not exactly a mark of quality.

Oh for Pete's sake. You are talking about stuff fed to dairy cows to stimulate milk production. They are slaughtered when they stop producing. There's about 1.4 million dairy cows in Australia, against 55 million head raised for beef production on pastoral land. What are the odds of you getting what you think you are getting?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

One we lived in Pattaya at the time our rent 30k,our sons rent 2500 baht ,shared university accomodation with his cousin , him 12k a month to spend ,the rest our lecy ,wi fi etc so plenty to spend on food . no problem,i admit i must have taken some out of our savings to pay his uni fees,

Ah of course, the rent for the son is much lower, that was the key difference.

Thanks for clearing that up.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Oh for Pete's sake. You are talking about stuff fed to dairy cows to stimulate milk production. They are slaughtered when they stop producing. There's about 1.4 million dairy cows in Australia, against 55 million head raised for beef production on pastoral land. What are the odds of you getting what you think you are getting?

Hey, they sold me corn-fed Australian beef!

Just live with it!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

I would be as bold as to suggest that most Brits on this forum do not even know someone with their own pool in the UK.

Pool in UK ?? Heated pool please !!  ???? .. If not rather pointless !! 555

• Haha 1

The whole story is nonsense. Probably a bit of artistic licence by the newspaper, looking for an angle on Brits abroad.

They are living cheaply and doing fine. I would be surprised if they spend more than £500 a month in total costs, when looking at their blog. Likely even less.

So how could they be possibly running out of money in three to four months?

That would mean that they had as little as £2000 to their name....with two children to feed. Not believable. 

There is no way that they spent £500 on extending a visa exempt entry. They clearly entered on visa exempt stamps.

So...someone is lying.

7 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

And you know this exactly how?  Or is it yet another of the fantasies you've cooked up and believe to be true just because you thought it?

No, because I'm from Germany and I moved to the UK and when I went to register with an NHS doctor it was no problem at all. When I moved, it was not problem at all.

And being incredibly handsome I look very different to the English, so that should have aroused suspicion in and of itself.

But nobody came knocking on my door from the NHS.

I also noticed, I did not have to register my address anywhere, like I did in Germany. You have no ID cards.

So, pray tell, what on earth would stop this family from signing up with an NHS doctor? Nothing.

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

“And then we think ‘what happens after all of this, what happens in 30 days or if we’re stuck here for two or three months.’

“We’ll have no money left by that point.”

Selling their house and car in England only got them enough to tide them over for a few months?

Been living the high life on the island, haven't we?

These guys are in their forties.

Assuming they owned a family home in an average part of Exeter, and bought it for let's call it £200k. They would have put down, let's call it 15% deposit and put the rest on the mortgage. Let's assume they have only managed to pay back a third of their mortgage, and the house is now worth £325k. This all seems very reasonable to me having owned property in that part of the UK. Even factoring the interest on the mortgage, a distressed selling price and getting gouged on fees, maybe even missed the odd mortgage payment or two, they should have as a bare minimum £125k equity in the property. Let's also assume they had no savings, or that they used them to clear any debts they had, and that they used the money for the car to fund their travel costs and the first few months of staying in Thailand.

So, assuming that they've had their home for a decade or more, they should be sitting on 5 million baht, give or take.

The only way they could have nothing is if they bought their house in the last few years, and any increase in the property value was eaten up by mortgage get out costs when they sold. In which case, deciding to move to a third-world country where you can't legally work, with children, during a once in a lifetime viral pandemic was possibly not the best decision that they have ever made in their lives.

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The whole story is nonsense. Probably a bit of artistic licence by the newspaper, looking for an angle on Brits abroad.

They are living cheaply and doing fine. I would be surprised if they spend more than £500 a month in total costs, when looking at their blog. Likely even less.

So how could they be possibly running out of money in three to four months?

That would mean that they had as little as £2000 to their name....with two children to feed. Not believable. 

There is no way that they spent £500 on extending a visa exempt entry. They clearly entered on visa exempt stamps.

So...someone is lying.

Well you can't get work permit on visa exempt entry... were they then planning on working illegally? That's not a great way to start in a new country...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

These guys are in their forties.

Assuming they owned a family home in an average part of Exeter, and bought it for let's call it £200k. They would have put down, let's call it 15% deposit and put the rest on the mortgage. Let's assume they have only managed to pay back a third of their mortgage, and the house is now worth £325k. This all seems very reasonable to me having owned property in that part of the UK. Even factoring the interest on the mortgage, a distressed selling price and getting gouged on fees, maybe even missed the odd mortgage payment or two, they should have as a bare minimum £125k equity in the property. Let's also assume they had no savings, or that they used them to clear any debts they had, and that they used the money for the car to fund their travel costs and the first few months of staying in Thailand.

So, assuming that they've had their home for a decade or more, they should be sitting on 5 million baht, give or take.

The only way they could have nothing is if they bought their house in the last few years, and any increase in the property value was eaten up by mortgage get out costs when they sold. In which case, deciding to move to a third-world country where you can't legally work, with children, during a once in a lifetime viral pandemic was possibly not the best decision that they have ever made in their lives.

Don't say Exeter.

They'll crucify you.

It's Devon.

Also, you've vastly overestimated the house price. The average house price in Devon is £265,000 

Edited by Logosone

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

But surely people move address in the UK? Why can't they just say they moved?

Before the NHS can enforce collecting fees they have to know that a person is not entitled to free care. How would the NHS know?

Of course they could just give details of their previous GP and the address of a parent.

Jeez,  you just can't stop with the idiocy, can you?  You plainly have no critical thinking skills to speak of.

To answer your points -

1)  Yes, people move all the time and they also find a new GP in their new area if they have moved far.  If they are in good health, there's no urgency to it, but if they have medical problems and need regular meds or treatment. then they can only access them via a GP.  They'd need a prescription for ongoing meds, for a start.  They'd need a GP's letter for access to other services, such as physio for a dodgy knee or hip.  

2)  No-one can just turn up at a hospital or clinic and demand non-urgent treatment, which has to be sanctioned by a GP, as I see I am having to repeat and repeat to you.
If an emergency, such as a car accident or heart attack, no, the NHS will not be looking to charge you, but they will still want your GP's details.  Can't provide them?  Tough sh!t if you can't because unless you are at death's door, you will at best have to wait many hours or sent elsewhere.

3)  I believe it's actually illegal to provide false information to falsely gain treatment from the NHS, but apart from that the previous GP will say 'he's not here now mate' and then they will come looking.   And they do.

Edited by Mister Fixit

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Some people even go a bit further. Here's a guy who uses GFM to make a holiday in Thailand. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/kp3e2-i-want-to-travel-to-thailand

Good one ... 555 at least its straight up ... no sob story, Just I am a farmer .... (not sure that would qualify as a sob story ?)

image.png.c282dab5c3aec2e49b452b222fb3fe07.png

Even I can see that the English need a bit of tweak ... ???? ...

3 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Jeez,  you just can't stop with the idiocy, can you?  You plainly have no critical thinking skills to speak of.

To answer your points -

1)  Yes, people move all the time and they also find a new GP in their new area if they have moved far.  If they are in good health, there's no urgency to it, but if they have medical problems and need regular meds of treatment. then they can only access them via a GP.

2)  No-one can just turn up at a hospital of clinic and demand non-urgent treatment, which has to be sanctioned by a GP  as I see I am having to repeat and repeat to you.
If an emergency, such as a car accident or heart attack, no, the NHS will not be looking to charge you, but they will still want your GP's details.  Can't provide them?  Tough sh!t if you can't because unless you are at death's door, you will at best have to wait many hours.

3)  I believe it's actually illegal to provide false information to falsely gain treatment from the NHS, but apart from that the previous GP will say,. 'he's not here now mate' and then they will come looking. 

Well, funny story, I actually turned up at a hospital in the UK to demand non urgent treatment. This was literally just hours after I'd arrived in the UK for my interview with Oxford University, but I'd eaten some spoiled Fleischwurst a few hours earlier, so I had food poisoning. The hotel in Russell Square took me to hospital, I laid there for hours for an NHS doctor to tell me "Sorry there's no treatment for food poisoning, drink plenty of water". Not once was I asked what my previous GP was. I didn't even have one.

You're assuming they would check with the previous GP. Usually they don't. And even if they did, the odds that a doctor who has known you would cause you any difficulty are very small.

None of the above contradicts that notion that this family could just say to a new GP, we're new in the area can we register with you? If they tell the truth that they'd been outside the country, do you really think they'd refuse them.

I rather doubt it.

• Like 1

Seems irresponsible if you ask me bringing your children aged just one and three “. You would have to send them to school when old enough ( guessing money put aside ) can’t fault them from wanting a better lifestyle. However there’s plenty of ex pats who could soon be in the same boat ! Restaurants / Bars all closed and I’m predicting hotels will follow suit if the virus continues spreading... Anybody who thinks living in Thailand is cheap are deluded with the baht remaining strong. Costs myself around 2k month with the missus and 2 kids. There Quote nothing to go back for ? There savings will no doubt allow them to live comfortably until the virus stagnates and people start to return to there daily lives. My advice would be to hold tight and ride the waves,. Please no go fund page

4 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Well, funny story, I actually turned up at a hospital in the UK to demand non urgent treatment. This was literally just hours after I'd arrived in the UK for my interview with Oxford University, but I'd eaten some spoiled Fleischwurst a few hours earlier, so I had food poisoning. The hotel in Russell Square took me to hospital, I laid there for hours for an NHS doctor to tell me "Sorry there's no treatment for food poisoning, drink plenty of water". Not once was I asked what my previous GP was. I didn't even have one.

You're assuming they would check with the previous GP. Usually they don't. And even if they did, the odds that a doctor who has known you would cause you any difficulty are very small.

None of the above contradicts that notion that this family could just say to a new GP, we're new in the area can we register with you? If they tell the truth that they'd been outside the country, do you really think they'd refuse them.

I rather doubt it.

GP in UK generally want to help people .... They do not get 'rich' out of doing  the work they do .....

• Like 1

Reminds me of a friend of mine. He and his wife used their redundancy funds to take them and their 3yr old kid on a 6 month tour, staying in some beautiful parts of mainly Italy and France. No doubt it was a great experience, and the kid has been exposed to some nice cultural stuff. 

Now they're back home, money running out, neither can get a job, and baby number 2 is on the way. 

I totally understand this desire to do this 'gap year dad' stuff, but it's a massive gamble, and can backfire spectacularly. Each to their own though...

I am atheist to read aggressive and disdainful comments about a family whose only wrong is to want to live simply without being assisted by an organization and living on the fruit of their labor (whether you like it or not).
In addition, contrary to what is negatively presumed so easily, one can very well educate with a status of remote worker (freelance in one's country) abroad. I think that instead of presuming wrong, you could more seriously educate yourself and make the choice not to accuse or denigrate those who, in this world, do no harm to anyone by trying to live humbly without corrupting or abusing who let it be (and nobody forces you to live the same way, in the same way, nobody judges you to live differently, can do the same for you, we would all come out of it and all grown up). Perhaps the same ones who are courageously hard with the weak and tender with the strong... for money and privileges.
It is all the more absurd to pretend to give moral lessons in such an aggressive and unworthy form (end why ? where is the logic there ? what can be retain from this formal way to communicate ?), Which is more publicly and in the form of semi-anonymous and courageous bashing (null and dishonorable act by facts) .
No one is perfect and the aggressive comments are glaring proof (and there are only too many here).
I am hopeful that the choice that some who constantly try to judge others or constantly denigrate people who do not live like them (and who, however, do not steal from anyone and are not guilty of any crime), will be a day inspired by more kindness and discernment.

Please, try to be more humble and respectful, you can also learn this from Thailand Buddhists nice people (At least for those who are not constantly screwed at the bar).

By the time, i can also understand that everybody does what he is able to do, nothing more.

Edited by jerolamo
misstyping at the end.
  • Like 1

Just posted on the BBC:

Thailand has joined other countries in promising automatic visa extensions for tourists stranded by flight cancellations.

Tens of thousands of foreigners are believed to be stuck in the country, and social media posts show hundreds crowded together and queuing for hours at immigration offices to try to extend their visas.

The Thai cabinet has agreed to an automatic extension for anyone who arrived on a tourist visa on or after 1 March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52115535 (it is life feed so look for Jonathan Heads post at 11:38am)

• Thanks 1

...what were they thinking when they made this hmmm...bold decision with two small children..Ifor one would go home and good Gryff should follow immediately..no mention of a contract or WP..hmm good luck.