BANGKOK
geovalin

Foreign citizens told to schedule commercial flights home

Two embassies are urging foreign nationals to leave the Kingdom via commercial flights amid COVID-19 fears, prompting Australians and others grounded here to express frustration against their government on social media. The Kingdom has recorded 109 confirmed novel coronavirus cases as of yesterday afternoon and many flights ceased operations following the global virus outbreak earlier this year. The government is currently drafting a law that would allow a state of emergency to be enacted to combat COVID-19.

Last week British national Jerry Lewis arranged a chartered flight to leave the Kingdom after many commercial airlines had cancelled scheduled departures. Many foreign nationals are still stranded in the country, waiting for their governments to provide a way out of the country. Emily Zeeberg, spokeswoman for the United States embassy, said yesterday the US State Department on March 19 urged citizens around the world to leave COVID-19 affected countries while some flights are still available.

“In countries like Cambodia, where commercial departure options remain available, US citizens should arrange for an immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period,” Ms Zeeberg said. “US citizens abroad seeking to return to the United States should use commercial travel, as available, and not rely on evacuation flights, which are not currently an option in Cambodia for US citizens,” she added.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50708189/foreign-citizens-told-to-schedule-commercial-flights-home/

If I was an American citizen staying in Thailand, I would definitely stay put here. The US has now the highest number of cases and the death toll is increasing at an alarming pace. Thailand is far, far safer - provided of course, that one takes the standard precautions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

I live in SE Asia and my embassy, Irish, contacted me but did not try to persuade me either way. They just wanted to know my preference. Many foreigners, especially those with ties to the location where they live, don't see the point of abandonning their families and friends in SE Asia, their houses and other goods just to go to their home country through a risky flight (danger of being infected onboard) to a location where they have no home, perhaps having to bunk up with relatives or find a rented room somewhere (not so easy). There are also some visitors who are quite happy to stay put in Asia. Visitors who want to go back are probably bothering the embassy anyway.

So to any embassy is pushing people to leave I have to ask, WHY?

So to any embassy is pushing people to leave I have to ask, WHY?

Maybe because not knowing how things might "progress", the Embassy people don't want more of their nationals in-country than need to be, meaning potentially more problems?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Giving Homer Simpson a bad name...

Homer and Donald do sound quite alike, and they're both a strange colour, and intellectually-challenged! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm stamped in until late November, I'm going nowhere.

• Like 1