Foreign citizens told to schedule commercial flights home

geovalin

Two embassies are urging foreign nationals to leave the Kingdom via commercial flights amid COVID-19 fears, prompting Australians and others grounded here to express frustration against their government on social media. The Kingdom has recorded 109 confirmed novel coronavirus cases as of yesterday afternoon and many flights ceased operations following the global virus outbreak earlier this year. The government is currently drafting a law that would allow a state of emergency to be enacted to combat COVID-19.

Last week British national Jerry Lewis arranged a chartered flight to leave the Kingdom after many commercial airlines had cancelled scheduled departures. Many foreign nationals are still stranded in the country, waiting for their governments to provide a way out of the country. Emily Zeeberg, spokeswoman for the United States embassy, said yesterday the US State Department on March 19 urged citizens around the world to leave COVID-19 affected countries while some flights are still available.

“In countries like Cambodia, where commercial departure options remain available, US citizens should arrange for an immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period,” Ms Zeeberg said. “US citizens abroad seeking to return to the United States should use commercial travel, as available, and not rely on evacuation flights, which are not currently an option in Cambodia for US citizens,” she added.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50708189/foreign-citizens-told-to-schedule-commercial-flights-home/

If I was an American citizen staying in Thailand, I would definitely stay put here. The US has now the highest number of cases and the death toll is increasing at an alarming pace. Thailand is far, far safer - provided of course, that one takes the standard precautions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

I live in SE Asia and my embassy, Irish, contacted me but did not try to persuade me either way. They just wanted to know my preference. Many foreigners, especially those with ties to the location where they live, don't see the point of abandonning their families and friends in SE Asia, their houses and other goods just to go to their home country through a risky flight (danger of being infected onboard) to a location where they have no home, perhaps having to bunk up with relatives or find a rented room somewhere (not so easy). There are also some visitors who are quite happy to stay put in Asia. Visitors who want to go back are probably bothering the embassy anyway.

So to any embassy is pushing people to leave I have to ask, WHY?

Maybe because not knowing how things might "progress", the Embassy people don't want more of their nationals in-country than need to be, meaning potentially more problems?!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, madmen said:

Australia is 

Light years ahead of Thailand in testing and accurately reporting results. Thailand could already have a 100k dead for all we know

Australia is doing better than I had expected, I was expecting a Texas like response, but things like keeping schools open (is that still a thing?), allowing cruise ships to dock without checks, still give me doubts. I also heard of mass queuing at centerlink, much like immigration here. Also Thailand cannot have 100k dead lol. Can't even be a few hundred, as some of those would be tourists and you'd hear about it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Australia is doing better than I had expected, I was expecting a Texas like response, but things like keeping schools open (is that still a thing?), allowing cruise ships to dock without checks, still give me doubts. I also heard of mass queuing at centerlink, much like immigration here. Also Thailand cannot have 100k dead lol. Can't even be a few hundred, as some of those would be tourists and you'd hear about it.

In the Irish Republic Coronavirus related unemployment claims have increased by 12% or 1 in 8 of the workforce (330,000 people) since March 16th.

25 minutes ago, madmen said:

Yeah I plucked that figure out of my backside, much like the Thai's are doing lol 

I fly into Sydney in 2 weeks and into the hotel intercontinental for 2 weeks isolation all expenses paid courtesy Mr Morrison 

Mini bar got some stick then?!????

• Like 1

For reference:-

These are today's international flights (1st April) from Phnom Penh - no international flights from Siem Reap. Okay if you want to travel via China, Japan or South Korea and if you can get to Phnom Penh!

DAY TIME FLIGHT NUMBER DESTINATION AIRLINES REMARK
2020-04-01 00:30
MU 760
Shanghai
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 07:55
KR 961
Chengdu
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 08:00
CZ 324
Guangzhou
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 08:10
K6 668
Guangzhou
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 16:40
9C 8534
Shanghai
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
DEPARTED

2020-04-01 22:50
NH 818
Tokyo Narita
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif

2020-04-01 23:40
KE 690
Seoul Incheon
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif

2020-04-01 23:55
OZ 740
Seoul Incheon
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif

2020-04-02 00:40
CA 746
Zhengzhou
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:
1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Giving Homer Simpson a bad name...

Homer and Donald do sound quite alike, and they're both a strange colour, and intellectually-challenged! ????

wait till you see your November alternative! - Mr Burns ????  

image.jpeg.2220415b37b0fab7554a137593c32093.jpeg

33 minutes ago, 0zr0cks said:

That would only be remotely true if you’re naive enough to believe the Thai government figures. Do your homework ol mate, how many viral pneumonia’s are there on record now compared to previous years? If you can find this stat you’ll find where some of the hidden Covid cases are/were, but I suspect you won’t find it....... you follow?

i'm not being naive .... NSW has a large number of infected and at my home town which the population is only about 300 people there are 3 infected there, and it's hillbilly country.

I don't care about what the Thai government numbers, I care about what country do I think is a higher risk to catch the virus, and i say Australia.  I'll stay put here in my condo thanks ....   less chance of catching it here.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference:-

These are today's international flights (1st April) from Phnom Penh - no international flights from Siem Reap. Okay if you want to travel via China, Japan or South Korea and if you can get to Phnom Penh!

DAY TIME FLIGHT NUMBER DESTINATION AIRLINES REMARK
2020-04-01 00:30
MU 760
Shanghai
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
MU_0.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 07:55
KR 961
Chengdu
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
KR_small.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 08:00
CZ 324
Guangzhou
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
CZ_small_1.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 08:10
K6 668
Guangzhou
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
K6_0.gif
DEPARTED
2020-04-01 16:40
9C 8534
Shanghai
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
9C_small.gif
DEPARTED

2020-04-01 22:50
NH 818
Tokyo Narita
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif
NH_small.gif

2020-04-01 23:40
KE 690
Seoul Incheon
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif
KE_small.gif

2020-04-01 23:55
OZ 740
Seoul Incheon
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif
OZ_0.gif

2020-04-02 00:40
CA 746
Zhengzhou
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif
CA_Small.gif

Bill ,   can I get one way tickets to Wuhan .. ?     if so, please throw a few TV farang on board will ya.  thanks.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

I live in SE Asia and my embassy, Irish, contacted me but did not try to persuade me either way. They just wanted to know my preference. Many foreigners, especially those with ties to the location where they live, don't see the point of abandonning their families and friends in SE Asia, their houses and other goods just to go to their home country through a risky flight (danger of being infected onboard) to a location where they have no home, perhaps having to bunk up with relatives or find a rented room somewhere (not so easy). There are also some visitors who are quite happy to stay put in Asia. Visitors who want to go back are probably bothering the embassy anyway.

I don't think they're trying to get people like you to leave. It's tourists, business people and other temporary entrants, who normally live at home and would run out of money and options if they stay too long, that they urge to return home.

Although I'm contemplating moving back to the west with my family in due course...it would be impossible to do so in a hurry. I am good here and will wait it out. The only thing I am concerned about are immigration issues, but that is not currently relevant for me. I hope by the time it does become relevant, the situation will have improved enough to allow travel again.