Mae Hong Son: Foreigners ordered to stay away - night curfew until April 15th

webfact

31 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I think anywhere you move you'll find more and more people showing their true colours during this crisis, not only Thailand.

In NSW Australia's country towns the city residents are no longer welcome. They are met with makeshift road signs "Go away" and some are getting their tyres sliced. The same hostile people were begging them to come back and spend money only a month ago during the bushfire crisis. They received a lot of handouts and donations from the same people they are turning away now.

I'm currently stuck in India, Goa. Yesterday I moved to a different AirBnb accommodation which has wifi - I can't afford now not to have a backup internet connection. The new place is a private apartment in a resort, where some people also live permanently. What was supposed to be a simple check-in turned into a 3 hours Mexican stand-off with the residents. I managed to get in after 3 hours and maybe more than 50 phone calls with the Australian consulate, the Indian ministry of tourism, the police, the health centre and my landlady. The police came in and OKed me to come in, only to be fronted by a small demonstration of around 10 Indians telling me directly in my face "We don't want you here, go find another place".  Tons of extra phone calls and I eventually wore them down and they dispersed. If it was someone with thinner skin he would walk away frightened.  There are other reports of foreigners here getting beaten by the police with bamboo sticks because they went to the pharmacy to collect medicine.

There are good people too, and my Airbnb landlady who is in Mumbai is just outstanding. She spend a good part of the day yesterday helping me. I had only a couple of biscuits left and a litre of water, the food shops are closed and you are not allowed to wander around. There are some good places to order food online like Swiggy, but they take only Indian credit cards and no COD now - my whole stack of Oz credit cards is pretty much useless here. The only feasible way to pay here online is via Amazon Pay, but you can't top your wallet unless you have an Indian credit card again! My landlady purchased via her account some Amazon digital gift cards, with which I finally was able to load my wallet and pay for food. I'm transferring money back to her with Transferwise. Simple things made incredibly difficult for foreigners in India.

Everything about that place is a dump just make sure you dont end up that place they call an hospital 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stuhan said:

After reading this i have decided enough is enough.I am sick of this racist <deleted> from Thailand. After this covid 19 has died down if it dies down i am out of here and Asia.I have found a place in south america that is not racist,cheap,easy to settle and safe,i have already started the process.I love Thailand but it's just becoming a bad place for expats now .

ok GRINGO lol

1 hour ago, Forza2002 said:

Stuhan... can you share the name of the place in South America (can PM me). I'm in the same boat, sick of the xenophobic rants, pollution and Govt. ass kissing the Chinese.

@Forza2002 Check out Panama. Golden visa similar to Portugal but way cheaper - https://offshorecitizen.net/residency-and-passports/panama-golden-visa-by-investment-program/ Life's good there. Belize too, but not quite as safe unless you have good contacts.

2 hours ago, Denim said:

But if Thai , no need to worry.

When all this is over and these places want tourist money again I just hope someone will remind them of what the governor really thinks of them.  Cash cow vermin.

So Thais can come and go as they please into the province?  All non Thais are tested and checked, but no Thai people are?  

We should remember that that province has a lot or foreigners entering and leaving..... Asian ones from Myanmar, so don't just think its a farang thing going on.  I can understand why they places some of these restrictions, but it surely should apply to everyone, and the Thai people themselves (of which there are far more on there than any foreigners).  

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

I just can't understand why at this time the Thai's are so adamant on all this petty bureaucratic nonsense when they could just do a blanket amnesty for 30-90 days. They really want this fat stack of papers as if there's some dire consequences of them not knowing exactly where we are for the next month? For me personally, lots of respect is being lost on these people in the last few weeks.

don't you think they have enough problems of their own without groups of foreigners running around unaccounted for? Look at how many cases of human trash from foreign soils that have caused problems in the past in Thailand. You can blame the behavior of all the sex criminals, scam artists, visa dodgers and other losers for the requirements of keeping tabs on people. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

You blokes read too much into these things - the whole of Australia has done the same. No foreigners allowed entry, simple as that

Some state borders are also closed, with exception of people travelling their for work allowed over and back, (they obviously do not carry the virus, coz they work) anyone else entering have to quarantine for 14 days, but can drive to destination , so anomolies everywhere

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Everything about that place is a dump just make sure you dont end up that place they call an hospital 

Some really bad stories here coming from Brits, or they are whinging more than every other nation ????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/life/had-leave-husband-hospital-goa-desperate-bring-home/

"Initially, I was allowed out to the shops. I’m half-Indian, which means I don’t have to worry about the street harassment faced by white tourists, who are told to “Go back to your own country” by locals who assume they have coronavirus. Some have even had stones thrown at them."

I've had a chat with a Brit staying in my new place yesterday. His mother died from coronavirus a day ago in UK, and he is stuck here unable to farewell her. Heartbreaking. Poor guy, he was very distressed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Some state borders are also closed, with exception of people travelling their for work allowed over and back, (they obviously do not carry the virus, coz they work) anyone else entering have to quarantine for 14 days, but can drive to destination , so anomolies everywhere

As I know only too well. 7 days in to 14 days self isolation after returning from Thailand last week.

Just now, emptypockets said:

As I know only too well. 7 days in to 14 days self isolation after returning from Thailand last week.

Were you transported to a hotel, or allowed to continue to your home destination??

This is a very smart man, that really needs to check the status of his IQ-meter. If one of his residents returns from a province that has not banned foreigners and has been infected, is that not same as an infected foreigner?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

I just can't understand why at this time the Thai's are so adamant on all this petty bureaucratic nonsense when they could just do a blanket amnesty for 30-90 days. They really want this fat stack of papers as if there's some dire consequences of them not knowing exactly where we are for the next month? For me personally, lots of respect is being lost on these people in the last few weeks.

Phillipines has already..total amnesty for 3 months...I think Indonesia is pretty much the same now...Maybe the oh so Thais can't do anything wrong lovers will wake up and smell the coffee...They hate us, always have and always will...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Latest garbage from Immigration!

EUfIC2nWAAAzF9f.jpg

OMG. So much unnecessary documents. I don't think owners are going to have so much time on their hands

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

Great...hope every foreigner will remember that after everything is over! Let Mae Hong Son be the s***hole again that it was, before they got improved quality of life due to the tourism. Great landscape there, but one of poorest regions in Thailand.

They might be poor on paper.

But do you have any idea have many illicit substances are smuggled through this area? Maybe there is a reason for not wanting tourism/foreigners - now they have a great excuse.

• Like 1