Hua Hin Immigration making it difficult to get emergency extension.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

There is a retirement visa in Singapore that a pensioner can access?

Didn't think so.

Better bring your business to a place like Singapore, they are miles ahead of the Thai. I hope we can move soon.

what bit of "bring your business to" made you think he wanted to retire there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Sad to say I agree, but the principal motivator in the psychology of a Thai is ego. Way down in the porridge that passes for a brain in Thailand, is the awareness that they are a 3rd-world country. Thais know this, and they very much do not like it so an unhealthy proportion of their lives is spent in trying to establish psychological dominance over other people, mainly foreigners, and principally Europeans, anyone in fact who hails from the land which is not a 3rd-world country or whom they suspect of feeling that they are superior to Thais when everybody knows they couldn't possibly be.

So the exercise is not to collect data, the exercise is to oblige the foreigner to jump through hoops, in the process making themselves feel powerful and omnipotent. I've been in this position many times since I arrived in Thailand 16 years ago. Yes it's irritating, yes they should have progressed as people but appear not to have done and no, I don't believe there is an alternative to just sitting down and smiling. A Thai will always support another Thai if in a conflict situation with a foreigner. There will be no help coming from that quarter however ridiculous the situation.

As already noted, sad to say, but imho irrefutable. It gives me no pleasure whatever to say it, but I like many others have fallen victim to the ego games played by many Thais, and I see no alternative explanation

Thais were used exclusively in testing Dunning-Kruger's cognitive bias theory

• Like 1

It's not just Asians, in most Western countries that I have any knowledge of, Thais are regarded as most undesirable, even as tourists (note the case of South Korea for example). This is a direct result of the habit of many Thais, while insisting that foreigners observe the most minute of rules in Thailand are yet uncaring of the laws of the other country which they happen to be visiting.

they don't have the best reputation around asia for sure

Edited by GeorgeCross

2 hours ago, retayl said:

all the Immigration Officer repeated was “ must have all forms to send to Head Office”, sadly this is all too believable.

But it's obviously a lie because in for example Chiang Mai this is not required.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

The process seems rather straightforward if you are a genuine [stranded] tourist staying at a Hotel.

True, if you are simply a tourist... ie not on an O-A, or Extension, unlikely you would have a one year rental, or own a property.

I don't see a provision for those living with a friend or relative either.

Damn you idiots, make some straightforward facility for those stranded here to sit it out!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I'm sure the hotel manager is happy to go to immigration together with the tourists who need to extend their visa to be interrogated

I was staying in a condo complex with more than 300 units. Imagine how busy the owner must be, presumably travelling from BKK and then going back and forth to the IO day after day.

Edited by teatime101
  • Like 2

Farangs can count the dead and tell everyone else so best they get out so the chinese human rights abuses, lies, corrupt, etc,.. mentality can continue. 

I tell my family about all this rubbish and they clearly think im joking and i get frowned upon. Thailands a joke but they are the only people that dont know it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, retayl said:

. They also want a print out of the email received from the Embassy.

Can't see anything wrong here.

It's quite easy to type a letter and print it off.

They're just making sure it's original and not fraudulent. 

6 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Can't see anything wrong here.

It's quite easy to type a letter and print it off.

They're just making sure it's original and not fraudulent. 

To write yourself an email and print it makes it more difficult?

I think all embassies which are issuing the letters are issuing them to everybody, so there is no point in faking it if your embassy issues it.

If the IO thinks that the embassy of the applicant does not issue such letters, and thus the letter might be fake, he could just call them to confirm it.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Thais were used exclusively in testing Dunning-Kruger's cognitive bias theory

Hrrrmmm.

Possible,

That would certainly fit the observable facts though Dunning and Kruger's work is often treated in the same way as Alfred Adler's "superiority complex" though frankly I am not and never have been a fan of Alfred Adler. In my view he was correct to the extent that the superiority complex he describes originates in the need to overcome an inferiority complex, which without a doubt many, perhaps most Thais suffer from, in my judgement a natural consequence of inviting hordes of American military personnel to R&R in Thailand during the Vietnam War; The grunts from USA weren't famous for behaving well.

Nevertheless what you say seems to be correct, or at least plausible; at worst, if incorrect, it does seem to fit the facts. Whether Dunning and Kruger really did examine Thais only, I frankly don't know. Still, David Dunning is a sincere and pleasant enough guy who is acutely aware of the misuse to which his and Kruger's work has been subject (mainly by people who lack a formal education in psychology, but who wish to appear otherwise), and that does seem to causes him some genuine disappointment. I may ask him though about the Thai content of his subjects next time we meet - though geography is not exactly a big help i this regard…

Some years ago I discovered a paper by one of the first Thai PhD's in psychology. It was really an amazing read, though the scholarship of it accorded pretty much with expectations. I'll see if I can dig out the paper, it was available on the web somewhere.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Haha 1