Jump to content
BANGKOK
up2you2

On Google search engine page, Search settings is disabled.

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, treetops said:

"Germany" in the bottom left means it thinks that's where you are, hence it's offering it in German too?  Are you there or are you using a VPN that would make it think so?  I'm not sure if it's related to the settings issue or not.  Here's another link to  get directly into the settings:

 

https://www.google.co.uk/preferences?hl=en

 

Last night I was trying to find an image on Image Google.

I tried to change some country of origin settings to Germany.

Your link comes up that my current Region setting is: Current setting

And under Languages: English

Greyed outScreenShot2877.jpg.5e6defd1ef07a4cf024c88893932e428.jpg - please refer to screen shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a look at this Mozilla support page on what may be blocking 'cookies' being set or saved. Go through each item in turn.

 

Do you remember checking any security or blocking options when trying to temporarily setting your country of origin? That's probably when an option got flipped inadvertently. 

 

If this doesn't work you can always have Firefox RESET

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Last night I was trying to find an image on Image Google.

I tried to change some country of origin settings to Germany.

Wherever you made that change needs undone.

 

40 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Greyed out

Looks the same as mine but mine is not greyed out  - what happens if you hover the cursor over it?  What about "Privacy" and "Terms" next to it?

 

image.png.5c90fd9ae39906fe6d93316b03060e40.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, treetops said:

Wherever you made that change needs undone.

 

Looks the same as mine but mine is not greyed out  - what happens if you hover the cursor over it?  What about "Privacy" and "Terms" next to it?

 

image.png.5c90fd9ae39906fe6d93316b03060e40.png

 

 

Hovering over Settings Privacy and Terms a line appears underneath them.

Clicking on the last two, they engage/open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Take a look at this Mozilla support page on what may be blocking 'cookies' being set or saved. Go through each item in turn.

 

Do you remember checking any security or blocking options when trying to temporarily setting your country of origin? That's probably when an option got flipped inadvertently. 

 

If this doesn't work you can always have Firefox RESET

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems

I did not check any security or block options when I was  trying to temporarily setting my country of origin.

Firefox RESET, I can live with this problem, and maybe on an update it might clear itself.

What Mozilla support page are you referring to please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Hovering over Settings Privacy and Terms a line appears underneath them.

Clicking on the last two, they engage/open.

...so it's just the "Settings" word, of the three, that does nothing when clicked?

 

Sounds very JavaScript / Cookies / Data Cache issuey to me. But you're not experiencing issues with any other website using FireFox?

 

Another thing to try would be to install Firefox on top of the existing installation. Sometimes preferable to doing a an 'reset'.  If you were to try the in-browser 'reset' option I'd suggest exporting your browser bookmarks, as a 'reset' may have you set up as a new user (fresh start).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RichCor said:

...so it's just the "Settings" word, of the three, that does nothing when clicked?

 

Sounds very JavaScript / Cookies / Data Cache issuey to me. But you're not experiencing issues with any other website using FireFox?

 

Another thing to try would be to install Firefox on top of the existing installation. Sometimes preferable to doing a an 'reset'.  If you were to try the in-browser 'reset' option I'd suggest exporting your browser bookmarks, as a 'reset' may have you set up as a new user (fresh start).

Correct, only "Settings" that does nothing.

No other issue with Firefox sites.

Thank you for your additional suggestion, but sometimes I'm not lucky.

I have an existing problem that I can live with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resolved.
On searching Coronavirus Thailand on Google, the search results came up in German.
So I clicked on the Settings entry on the page, changed the Region Settings to United Kingdom, saved it.
Results back to English.
But best of all the Home Page back to normal, no other Languages offered, and in the left hand corner United Kingdom.
However the Settings feature still doesn't engage - weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

Resolved.
On searching Coronavirus Thailand on Google, the search results came up in German.
So I clicked on the Settings entry on the page, changed the Region Settings to United Kingdom, saved it.
Results back to English.
But best of all the Home Page back to normal, no other Languages offered, and in the left hand corner United Kingdom.
However the Settings feature still doesn't engage - weird.

Racking my brain as to what I could have done, to enact this.

Thinking back only logging out of Google, then logging into Google might have triggered it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to think you're patient zero, as my chrome browser now has the same symptoms (clicking the top two entries in the google search settings popup menu do nothing).

 

Though just now thought to ask you, is the issue affecting the same menu option elsewhere? 

Try doing a google search for, whatever, and see if the google search "Settings" menu options function there.

 

image.png.eab6b565974a290d9e6c9d3394406103.png 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I'm beginning to think you're patient zero, as my chrome browser now has the same symptoms (clicking the top two entries in the google search settings popup menu do nothing).

 

Though just now thought to ask you, is the issue affecting the same menu option elsewhere? 

Try doing a google search for, whatever, and see if the google search "Settings" menu options function there.

 

image.png.eab6b565974a290d9e6c9d3394406103.png 

On Chrome and MSN all options are working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a vague feeling that there are two setting in Google that need to be changed.  One is your language preference and the other is your location,  And these two setting are not together so one can easily be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...