TM30 Driving me nuts

I was going to post a new topic about the TM30 but then I found this thread so maybe someone can answer my question here. I didn't want to change the topic from the OP's question but it seems like the issue is already been sorted out thoroughly.

So I was wondering if there's any point doing the TM 30 about two months late? I've never done a TM30 but now that I see it might be asked at the immigration, I would like to try and do it online. I arrived back to Thailand with SETV in the beginning of February and had a flight back to Europe in May. Now that flight are cancelled and the immigration is playing games with us, I feel like having all the possible papers just in case. But is there any benefit of having a TM30 done two months after you arrived or would that just be even worse? My normal +30 days extension is due in a few days and then the extra "covid extensions" would start in May (the one that needs all the paperwork).

I've never been asked to show a TM30 in any situation nor had I even heard of it since a while ago but this would be just in case of the "+30 day covid extension" being enforced in May (of course as we know from the news, all of that nonsense should be over any day now, but I just don't believe it before it's official). 

On 4/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, Surelynot said:

Found out what it was!!!!!! 1. TM6 (my error as mentioned)  2. I used Google translate when it was offered to change to English to fill the form in and that screws up the whole process. Did it all again without translation and it saved first time.

Thanks to one and all for suggestions. 

What do you mean use google translate?

The online form is in English.

Anyway, Google translate doesn't translate correctly sometimes.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What do you mean use google translate?

The online form is in English.

Anyway, Google translate doesn't translate correctly sometimes.

It's in Thai and English and without giving it second thought I allowed google to translate everything to make sure I didn't miss or misunderstand what was being asked. The act of translation seemingly prevents loading of the spreadsheet correctly.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I was going to post a new topic about the TM30 but then I found this thread so maybe someone can answer my question here. I didn't want to change the topic from the OP's question but it seems like the issue is already been sorted out thoroughly.

So I was wondering if there's any point doing the TM 30 about two months late? I've never done a TM30 but now that I see it might be asked at the immigration, I would like to try and do it online. I arrived back to Thailand with SETV in the beginning of February and had a flight back to Europe in May. Now that flight are cancelled and the immigration is playing games with us, I feel like having all the possible papers just in case. But is there any benefit of having a TM30 done two months after you arrived or would that just be even worse? My normal +30 days extension is due in a few days and then the extra "covid extensions" would start in May (the one that needs all the paperwork).

I've never been asked to show a TM30 in any situation nor had I even heard of it since a while ago but this would be just in case of the "+30 day covid extension" being enforced in May (of course as we know from the news, all of that nonsense should be over any day now, but I just don't believe it before it's official). 

I normally never bother with TM30 but as like you i though best to have all ducks in a row during this current situation.

Before you can do it online you must go to immigration and apply for user name and password, you'll get that in about 5-7 days, then subsequently not need to visit immigration to register address.

14 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So I was wondering if there's any point doing the TM 30 about two months late?

There is no problem doing it two month late.

The ONLY time TM-30 compliance might be checked, is when you visit your local IO for a service that requires your address (e.g. an extension of stay).  And in case IO checks it (some IOs don't enforce TM30 compliance) they are ONLY interested whether a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are presently staying (they are not interested in your TM30 history).

>> I have PM-ed you a step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website and file your TM30s on-line.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Before you can do it online you must go to immigration and apply for user name and password, you'll get that in about 5-7 days, then subsequently not need to visit immigration to register address.

This is not correct.  There is no need to visit IO to register on the IO TM30 website.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

There is no problem doing it two month late.

The ONLY time TM-30 compliance might be checked, is when you visit your local IO for a service that requires your address (e.g. an extension of stay).  And in case IO checks it (some IOs don't enforce TM30 compliance) they are ONLY interested whether a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are presently staying (they are not interested in your TM30 history).

>> I have PM-ed you a step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website and file your TM30s on-line.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

there will be a fine for late reporting ( for the house owner of where you're staying ).

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

there will be a fine for late reporting ( for the house owner of where you're staying ).

IO is not interested in your TM30 history.  If your IO enforces TM30 compliance (not all IOs do) they will only be interested when at the moment you visit them for a service that needs your address (e.g. an extension of stay) that a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are staying.

So the notion of 'late reporting' is void.  Either the last - i.e. a current - TM30 has been filed from the place where you are currently staying or this has not been done.

When your IO enforces TM30 compliance, YOU might be fined (800 to 1.600 THB) for not being in compliance.  Also the 'owner' of the place where you are staying (hotel, guesthouse, girlfriend's house, rental condo) might be fined.  That fine amounts to 2.000 THB per night/foreigner not reported within 24 hours of arriving at the place of stay (but I have never seen any reports of that actually being enforced for not reporting a foreigner staying at the premisses).

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

IO is not interested in your TM30 history.  If your IO enforces TM30 compliance (not all IOs do) they will only be interested when at the moment you visit them for a service that needs your address (e.g. an extension of stay) that a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are staying.

So the notion of 'late reporting' is void.  Either the last - i.e. a current - TM30 has been filed from the place where you are currently staying or this has not been done.

When your IO enforces TM30 compliance, YOU might be fined (800 to 1.600 THB) for not being in compliance.  Also the 'owner' of the place where you are staying (hotel, guesthouse, girlfriend's house, rental condo) might be fined.  That fine amounts to 2.000 THB per night/foreigner not reported within 24 hours of arriving at the place of stay (but I have never seen any reports of that actually being enforced for not reporting a foreigner staying at the premisses).

I've been fined twice, 1600baht eat time.

As mentioned i never normally bother but occasion #1 i bought a bike and needed a cert of residence which could only be obtained after TM30 complete and occasion #2 to get my ducks in a row for the current situation.

So the notion of 'late reporting' is not void as you suggest.

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've been fined twice, 1600baht eat time.

As mentioned i never normally bother but occasion #1 i bought a bike and needed a cert of residence which could only be obtained after TM30 complete and occasion #2 to get my ducks in a row for the current situation.

So the notion of 'late reporting' is not void as you suggest.

You were not fined because of 'late reporting'.  It actually does not matter WHEN you file your TM30, as long as it is done BEFORE you visit your IO.

You were fined because there was NO current TM30 filed from the place where you were staying at the moment you visited IO.  If it had been done even the day before, you would not have been fined.

Edited by Peter Denis

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You were not fined because of 'late reporting'.  It actually does not matter WHEN you file your TM30, as long as it is done BEFORE you visit your IO.

You were fined because there was NO current TM30 filed from the place where you were staying at the moment you visited IO.  If it had been done even the day before, you would not have been fined.

I beleive this is incorrect, you're suppose to register within 48 hours upon arrival at abode.

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I beleive this is incorrect, you're suppose to register within 48 hours upon arrival at abode.

Depends on the IO you are reporting to.

Filing a TM30 within 24 hours of arrival at the place where you are staying when returning from a journey abroad, is only required at some IOs.

What is your IO?

Edited by Peter Denis

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Depends on the IO you are reporting to.

Filing a TM30 within 24 hours of arrival at the place where you are staying when returning from a journey abroad, is only required at some IOs.

What is your IO?

Phetchabun.

This is a question i asked, i was there last week, it's a PITA having to do it when i'm only away for a few days at a time ( but much easier now with the online app ).

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Phetchabun.

This is a question i asked, i was there last week, it's a PITA having to do it when i'm only away for a few days at a time ( but much easier now with the online app ).

Whether TM30 compliance is enforced depends on your local IO.  Some IOs are 'hard-liners' and require that a TM30 is filed every time you are away for more than 24 hours from the place where are you staying, others only require it on return from trips abroad or to other provinces than the one where you are staying, there are also those that require you file one when returning from a trip abroad, and finally there are those that don't care at all whether a TM30 has been filed.

But since the ONLY time that TM30 might be checked is when you visit your local IO for a service that needs your address (e.g. an extension of stay, a residence certificate, ...) it ONLY matters that a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are presently staying, at the moment when you visit the IO.  So if you regularly travel and stay at hotels/guesthouses that will file a TM30 of you staying there, there is in fact no need to file a TM30 of you returning at your place of stay.  You only need to make sure that that is done before you visit your local IO.

However, if you registered on the IO TM30 website it only takes 1-2 minutes to upload the Excel-file with your data again so you might as well do it every time you return from a domestic or international trip and be in 'full compliance'.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Whether TM30 compliance is enforced depends on your local IO.  Some IOs are 'hard-liners' and require that a TM30 is filed every time you are away for more than 24 hours from the place where are you staying, others only require it on return from trips abroad or to other provinces than the one where you are staying, there are also those that require you file one when returning from a trip abroad, and finally there are those that don't care at all whether a TM30 has been filed.

But since the ONLY time that TM30 might be checked is when you visit your local IO for a service that needs your address (e.g. an extension of stay, a residence certificate, ...) it ONLY matters that a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are presently staying, at the moment when you visit the IO.  So if you regularly travel and stay at hotels/guesthouses that will file a TM30 of you staying there, there is in fact no need to file a TM30 of you returning at your place of stay.  You only need to make sure that that is done before you visit your local IO.

However, if you registered on the IO TM30 website it only takes 1-2 minutes to upload the Excel-file with your data again so you might as well do it every time you return from a domestic or international trip and be in 'full compliance'.

You cannot say this, you've already say things may differ at different locations.

This was my primary question and i was told i must re-register once returning to my primary residence, even if i've only been away for 2 days.

53 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You cannot say this, you've already say things may differ at different locations.

This was my primary question and i was told i must re-register once returning to my primary residence, even if i've only been away for 2 days.

Please re-read the messages I posted in response to your questions.

1 - You do not need to re-register (you only need to register once on the IO TM30 website, after which you can file your TM30s on-line).

2 - I do not doubt that that is what your IO told you.  But they cannot and will not check whether you have been away for a couple of days.  The ONLY time your local IO might check whether you comply with TM30 requirements is when you visit their office for a service that needs your address.  And at that time they ONLY check if a current TM30 is on file from the place where you are staying. 

3 - Even when they do not check your TM30 history, you might as well re-upload the Excel-file with your data when returning from a trip-abroad as it only takes 1-2 minutes when doing it on-line.  I do it myself also (if I don't forget it) after every domestic trip I make because it is little effort.  But the ONLY time it matters is whether you have done it before visiting your local IO (in case they enforce TM30 compliance, otherwise you do not even have to bother at all).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, Peter Denis said:

Anybody looking for help to register at the IO TM30 website and upload their TM30s > just PM me and I will send over a step-by-step instruction, also addressing most of the issues you might encounter.

As I understand it TM30 was cancelled months ago

10 hours ago, Misab said:

As I understand it TM30 was cancelled months ago

TM30 compliance has NOT been cancelled.

According to thai law, the owner or possessor of a place (be it hotel, guesthouse, rental condo, girlfriends house, etc.) has to notify Immigration within 24 hours of a foreigner arriving and staying at the place.  Failure to do so can result in a fine of 2.000 THB per foreigner/night not reported.

But this is seldom enforced (I have not seen any reports of owners/possessors being fined for not having reported a foreigner).

HOWEVER, some IOs require that this TM30 notification was done (providing evidence of the place where the foreigner is staying) when the foreigner applies at the IO for a service that requires his address (e.g. an extension of stay).  And some even go so far as to deny the service requested as well as fine the foreigner (800 THB to 1.600 THB) when the owner of the place where he is staying has not filed that TM30.

So you can be in trouble when your local IO enforces TM30 compliance (not all of them do) and the owner of the place where you are staying has not filed the TM30 of you staying at that premisse (e.g. the house owner being abroad or in another province, and cannot be reached).

But fortunately there is also the option that you can register on the IO TM30 website ON BEHALF of the owner, or as TENANT of the (rental) place, and filing the required TM30s yourself.

It is not difficult to do (if you know how) and doing so you would be in compliance with the TM30 law.

But obviously if your local IO does not enforce TM30 compliance there is no need to do this.

Edited by Peter Denis

21 hours ago, sapson said:

Unless your permanent address in Thailand registered with immigration changes, no need to worry about notifications  online or scurrying off to immigration to report a trip, its just needless stress.

But it's what we're told to do.

It's all ok.....until it's not.

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

According to thai law, the owner or possessor of a place (be it hotel, guesthouse, rental condo, girlfriends house, etc.) has to notify Immigration within 24 hours of a foreigner arriving and staying at the place.  Failure to do so can result in a fine of 2.000 THB per foreigner/night not reported.

But this is seldom enforced (I have not seen any reports of owners/possessors being fined for not having reported a foreigner).

HOWEVER, some IOs require that this TM30 notification was done (providing evidence of the place where the foreigner is staying) when the foreigner applies at the IO for a service that requires his address (e.g. an extension of stay).  And some even go so far as to deny the service requested as well as fine the foreigner (800 THB to 1.600 THB) when the owner of the place where he is staying has not filed that TM30.

So you can be in trouble when your local IO enforces TM30 compliance (not all of them do) and the owner of the place where you are staying has not filed the TM30 of you staying at that premisse (e.g. the house owner being abroad or in another province, and cannot be reached).

But fortunately there is also the option that you can register on the IO TM30 website ON BEHALF of the owner, or as TENANT of the (rental) place, and filing the required TM30s yourself.

It is not difficult to do (if you know how) and doing so you would be in compliance with the TM30 law.

But obviously if your local IO does not enforce TM30 compliance there is no need to do this.

2 cases right here of getting fined for not reporting.

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

2 cases right here of getting fined for not reporting.

Yes, quite possible.

If your local IO enforces TM30 compliance (not all of them do) and when you apply there for a service that needs your address (e.g. an extension of stay) they might fine you (800 THB or 1.600 THB) when there is no current TM30 in their files of you staying at the place under their jurisdiction.

When they do that you are in fact fined for the negligence of the house owner/possessor, which is the reason why there was so much - justified - outrage regarding that practice.

Some applicants - especially those living in rental condos - were faced with unwilling condo owners to file the TM30, or condo owners living abroad or in different provinces that were difficult to reach.

As mentioned in my previous post

> Fortunately there is also the option that you can register on the IO TM30 website ON BEHALF of the owner, or as TENANT of the (rental) place, and filing the required TM30s yourself.

Obviously if your local IO does not enforce TM30 compliance there is no need to do this.

But if you are worried about not being in compliance, just register on the IO TM30 website and file the required TM30s yourself.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Here is just 2 examples of the Thai property owner being fined 

Edited by greg71
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 10:56 AM, Peter Denis said:

So this info makes me think if it's better to do it now or not at all. In the case that I need to go for the "covid extension" with all the paperwork (embassy letters, TM30 etc etc...) sometime when the immigration reopens, I could be asked for the TM30 and be charged for doing it 2 moths late? Not a big deal if they charge a 800-1,600b penalty but charging the house owner 2,000 per night (60,000b) would be a disaster. So let's say that I don't do the TM30 at all, could they still charge the house owner? Of course if they require the TM30 for the for my SETV's "covid extension" in the future, then I don't have much choice but do it anyway.