We now have a squirrel !

Dog caught a squirrel.

Mum got hold of it....possible damaged leg.

We've been keeping it in a basket with water and banana.

Nephew especially has been handling it and it now seems quite happy and seems undamaged now.

Mum's found a cage for it.

What should it eat? I thought muesli might be good.

I dare say we'll let it go but it would be nice if it was tame first it seems to enjoy being handled.

Or maybe it would be v happy in a nice cage and outings.

• Like 1

Cute, but let it go for your own sake

What do squirrels eat? Well, squirrels just happen to eat a lot of things. Squirrels are not picky eaters. If you have spent any time observing the eating habits of common squirrels, this is clear. Squirrels have a natural appetite for many native fruits, flowers, veggies, fungi, nuts, tree, plants and insects to their habitat.

Beware Lyme disease 

What diseases do squirrels carry? As many other rodents, squirrels are subjected to contracting and spreading various diseases, out of which some may pose only a slight discomfort while others can lead to more serious health problems. In general, squirrels that get in contact with humans in inhabited areas are rarely sick and dangerous for that
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, RJRS1301 said:

Cute, but let it go for your own sake

What do squirrels eat? Well, squirrels just happen to eat a lot of things. Squirrels are not picky eaters. If you have spent any time observing the eating habits of common squirrels, this is clear. Squirrels have a natural appetite for many native fruits, flowers, veggies, fungi, nuts, tree, plants and insects to their habitat.

Beware Lyme disease 

What diseases do squirrels carry? As many other rodents, squirrels are subjected to contracting and spreading various diseases, out of which some may pose only a slight discomfort while others can lead to more serious health problems. In general, squirrels that get in contact with humans in inhabited areas are rarely sick and dangerous for that

Thanks for help

We have decided to leave the door open on the cage in the garden so feeding may not be a problem.

Young nephew will be upset.

Edited by cheeryble

If you let it go be sure it's healthy enough to escape from the predators.

In the meantime you can let it jump around in your home. It's fun.

And don't feed it ripe papaya - bad experience with that one.

If you want to go to the doctor I can recommend Animal Hospital Kasetsart University, Exotic Animals.

https://goo.gl/maps/AtwLp5fCaYrfuQmL8

They are good and not expensive.

in recent years, I have managed to retain various birds and .... squirrels, despite deforestation and deforestation around my home.
So let all these animals go free, you will have more fun seeing them land on a manger, bathe in basins, and for furry animals, the joy of seeing them take, with their little hands, a piece of bread, apple, and especially bananas.
 And to see them snack, a great joy.
 I have tried various seeds, but without success. Except for birds and tarantulas.
Above your cage, therefore put a transparent plastic, as a roof.
This will prevent food from getting wet in the event of rain.
For my squirrels, I made a pantry with a 6 L water bottle, by cutting a rectangle on it, so as to pass a few fingers to put the food and a cover for the rain and the pigeons, very greedy , who pass the head.
The opening of the cap is sufficient for the passage of the squirrels.
 By cons, under this "bell" it is very hot, so I made an opening opposite, of the same diameter.
I have one of the squirrels that often eats inside and I don't want him to feel unwell.
Attach your bottle.
As for the cats, numerous, I put a lot of cords between the shrubs and the gate, the pantry, in height.
When cats jump, they get caught in the ropes.
I had thought of barbed wire, but hey, I don't really like blood .......LOL