Hua Hin: Latest virus case - #12 - is Brit who had contact with compatriot

webfact

Hua Hin: Latest virus case - #12 - is Brit who had contact with compatriot

10pm.jpg

Covid-19 authorities in Hua Hin have announced that the resort has a 12th case of the virus who is a 51 year old Briton who had contact with the 3rd case that was recorded, also a British national. 

The 51 year old man was staying at a hotel where, after realising that his friend was infected, he stayed in his room only accepting room service food and doing all his own cleaning. 

As a precaution, even though they are at low risk of contracting the virus, all staff at the hotel have been placed in 14 day quarantine. Ban Muang did not say what hotel it was. 

A motorcycle taxi rider who took the man to hospital is also under observation.

Some 125 people have been on a watchlist from 8th to 30th of March in Hua Hin. 

Fifty five of these have completed a 14 day quarantine. 

Of the 70 who remain still in quarantine, 48 are from Europe and four from America and include several other nationalities. Five are Thais who came back from abroad.

Source: Banmuang

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-01

19 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They continued to allow people infected with the virus to enter the country - this is why there are lots of cases of foreigners.

I would be happier if they shut down inter provincial travel to keep Hua Hin relatively virus free.

people too selfish to shutdown their 'holidays' when all the signs pointed to problems ahead - I guess that's part of the reason the predictions of death rates over there are horrific..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

this is why i have been on lock down since March 10. 

and still some farangs not wearing masks here.

And farangs still seeking a bar or somewhere to drink away from their house....non believers everywhere:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Covid-19 authorities in Hua Hin have announced that the resort has a 12th case of the virus who is a 51 year old Briton who had contact with the 3rd case that was recorded, also a British national. 

and the latter may have got it from a Thai - right ?

no way to prove otherwise since testing is limited 

• Like 1

So , why did he go to the hospital?  Say he stayed in room, had food delivered, then motorcy took him to hospital... did his symptome turn severe?  Where does he go after hospital?  Have to fly back to the UK? 

When he gets better can he return to hotel?  Immunity after correct? 

Reporting insufficient. 

Hope the guy is OK. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is why i have been on lock down since March 10. 

The same ones who never wear helmets on the motorbike I guess ????

there's a big assortment of masks in the Sam Peng 20 baht shop, on the pala u road, up near nong korn / mon mai

i am sure there must be lots of other shops who have them now too

it is now the law that you must wear a mask at the market

i also saw a guy get stopped from entering tesco lotus cos he never had a mask

best to wear one i think - even if it is just to make other people feel safer. 

it must be hard for the workers at 7, lotus etc, serving people all day, whilst handling their cash and products etc

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

They continued to allow people infected with the virus to enter the country - this is why there are lots of cases of foreigners.

I would be happier if they shut down inter provincial travel to keep Hua Hin relatively virus free.

Too bad they can't do the same with the goddamn air pollution! If the Wu flu don't get you the horrendous air pollution will.????????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Because like myself, they're taking advice from most of the world's doctors and scientists.  I will wear one to follow a rule when necessary but when I have the option, I won't.  Nothing against people wearing masks as in the main, it doesn't do any harm and there is some social benefit.  However, there is a lot of evidence that shows a mask as being an aid to spread.  I'll repeat a post I made on another thread:

To the government and others:

STOP PROMOTING THE USE OF MASKS AS THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.

Because of this, Thais actually believe that if they're wearing a mask then they're safe!

I went into 7/11 yesterday afternoon.  I used the sanitiser on the way in and on leaving.  If there's no sanitiser then I'll use my own, which I'm never without.  Then consciously keep my distance from others.  When I arrive home, I wash my hands with soap and water before doing anything else.

I decided to watch people going in and out of 7/11 for 15 mins.  In that time I notice most Thais wearing masks but NOT ONE used the sanitiser and were certainly not practicing social distancing.

The emphasis needs to shift from masks to hand washing, social distancing because until then, masks become the be all and end all of protection.

Retail outlets etc have now banned entry without a mask.  The government have now classified used masks as hazardous material to be disposed of in red bins, highlighting again the importance of masks as the number one priority.

Until people get real on how to protect themselves, it's not going to get better.

Strangely enough, one of the girls in that 7/11 goes to university and speaks quite good English.  I was sort of pointing out why I wasn't wearing a mask and she piped up that she was wearing one because it's a rule and told me not to wear one unless I have to.  She said she's studying tropical diseases at uni.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

The same ones who never wear helmets on the motorbike I guess ????

Helmets are there to protect against Drain Bamage , for most of as that boat has sailed.:tongue:

Edited by sirineou

4 hours ago, sirocco said:

I don't know where you can find them in Hua Hin, I stopped looking for them.
I make them myself, either in accordion, bellows or mouthpiece.
Take a fine cotton, or slightly fluffy, or a cotton / polyester, and put, inside a washable fiber filter, felt, or very very fine chamois.
Paper towels can help, by making an accordion, fold the two ends to your length and staple or put a safety pin. Pass a rubber band or cord.
A minimum of 30 cm by 30 cm is required.
Use your imagination, you have so many on the forum !!!!!

Protecting yourself is protecting others

no need to get stressed about masks; stay at home, only go outside for food, medicine or excercise once a day. stay 2 m from other people, wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds - these are the recommended effective ways to prevent infection in most western countries.

or you could do it the thai way; wear a mask and carry on as normal. up to you

• Like 2

Samsensam,

thank you for your compassion, but i don't stress at all.
And since I am not a dirty farang, I soap myself all the time, I wash my teeth after each meal and clean my ears and my nose.
And then making masks or other things is always taking care.
Okay, now I'm going to do my pushups by hanging on to the railing of my patio.
Good night.

This thing about the masks is nuts about Thais getting angry with foreigners, where I live in Rayong most Thais are still not wearing masks although it's compulsory to wear in Makro, Big C etc. but so far here there don't seem to be complaints. If you walk into the 7/11's the staff have them rolled up until a customer comes in.

I wore a mask on the scooter anyway because of all the dust being thrown into the air.