Tourists get automatic visa extensions

To reconfirm .… yes I renewed my NON-IMM 'O' (Thai Wife) Visa for 12 months … I've been doing this annually since 2002 in Chiangmai. Baht 1,900

if you want to go in and out of the country during the 12 months then you need to also apply independenly for re-entry permits … which can be done anytime during the 12 months.… different form.

D5C6DEF2-115F-41BA-9F88-1B66B06872EE.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Just calculate 30 days after the current one and make a note of the date by which they have to leave.

Upon departure Immigration will look at the most recent stamp and add 30 days to calculate if overstayed.

This approach will make all the data in their databases useless.

This only seems to cover people on tourist visas who will need the extension at the end of April or later so it really will not address the issue they say it will. The queues will still be crazy long, and the people who need emergency extensions due to Covid will still be in a difficult situation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If you want to discuss something you should at least read a bit about this topic first. The procedures are not the same.

To obtain a regular tourist extension you have to go to immigration one time, and then walk away with your 30 day extension.

To get 30 days from an embassy letter you are required to go to immigration two times, first you get an under consideration stamp and on the second visit you get the actual extension stamp.

?

My family and I arrived on March 8th. Our only reason for the visit was to clear out our condo for our relocation to the Philippines, but Manila locked down while we were in BKK and all flights canceled.

We would need an extension by Monday, so are you saying we (including my 4-yr old boy) would not need to go to some God-forsaken hellhole at 5 am and queue with hordes of others? Would it take less time for us? Could we avoid the crowds and hot sun? NO!  Plus, in theory, people that have already extended once should have had plenty of time to leave the country -- why the first extension?  Lockdowns were not in full force to most countries a month ago. So there is logic to the plan, even if you don't like it. It will absolutely reduce the queues.  

The issue of need for embassy letter and other absurd requirements and only getting 7 or 15 days is totally different, but obviously needs to be addressed as well. At least this is a step in the right direction.

What they have done will help a lot of people, including my family of three (assuming "tourist visa" actually means exemption) who were here for legitimate reasons

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

This only seems to cover people on tourist visas who will need the extension at the end of April or later so it really will not address the issue they say it will. The queues will still be crazy long, and the people who need emergency extensions due to Covid will still be in a difficult situation.

Presumably it also covers those on visa exempt so will reduce pressure on the queues straightaway.

I seriously doubt that the majority of people who were flocking to the Immigration offices recently were those who came to Thailand after 1 of March. Why will they visit the immigration if all of them have a lot of time left before their visa expires?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, eppic said:

We would need an extension by Monday, so are you saying we (including my 4-yr old boy) would not need to go to some God-forsaken hellhole at 5 am and queue with hordes of others? Would it take less time for us? Could we avoid the crowds and hot sun? NO!

If you were in Chiang Mai: Yes. Here they have different queues, and the tourist visa extension queue is considerably shorter and faster.

I don't know if they also do it like this in Bangkok.

Edited by jackdd

26 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Let’s wait another week or two until those above will understand that their solution did not work. Then they will come up with something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

I seriously doubt that the majority of people who were flocking to the Immigration offices recently were those who came to Thailand after 1 of March. Why will they visit the immigration if all of them have a lot of time left before their visa expires?

Those who came in on a visa exempt after the 1st of March will just now be looking for extensions so if they don't need to come in that will reduce the queues. The people queuing last week and not going to be the same as the people queuing next week.

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Those who came in on a visa exempt after the 1st of March will just now be looking for extensions so if they don't need to come in that will reduce the queues. The people queuing last week and not going to be the same as the people queuing next week.

Entering on March 1st would require extension no later than Monday (two days ago).  Many would not wait until the last day, so would come a few days earlier.  For certain there have been regular extensions amongst the crowds -- we were planning to go today but waited in case of possible changes.  In Bangkok AFAIK all extensions are treated exactly the same, second "emergency" extension or not. Same queue, just different paperwork.

11 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Presumably it also covers those on visa exempt so will reduce pressure on the queues straightaway.

Nope, hardly anyone came in after 1 March, but plenty left. I cant see how such an insignificant number will reduce crowding that much country-wide. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sapson said:

i agree.  but unless the need is there to get your extension right away, I am thinking that no one will need to point out the futility, especially if it’s true I need to bring an extra person with me to IO.  Their pronouncement helps about as many as they can count on their fingers and toes and when they see that the line of 3000 is still there .. as reported in one news story .. they’ll have to re-think this.  Nonetheless they are showing that they’re not very bright.

There is no change, only that tourist arrived after 01 of march do not need to visit IO, to get their ordinary 30 days extension.

Still no help to farrangs in Thailand with visa problems because of the Covid crisis.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Nope, hardly anyone came in after 1 March, but plenty left. I cant see how such an insignificant number will reduce crowding that much country-wide. 

I doubt "hardly anyone" came in. A reduced number but still several thousand.

3 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Because no-one knows how long this is going to go on (for quite a while by the looks) consider an ED visa if you are applicable. 1900 each month and the hassle and risk of doing this every 30 days in such heat is torture ????

ED Visa? You need to leave the country and apply at a Thai Embassy/Consulate. If you can even leave the country you are definitely going to be denied entry back into Thailand!

18 minutes ago, Covid19Everywhere said:

Could someone please elaborate if this is valid also for visa-exempt-entries after the 1st of March?

Because in the text it says for people with "Tourist Visa", but visa-exempt-entry is no Tourist Visa, right?

Anyone knows?

they mean visa exempt, probably don't even know what they call it themselves. why would someone on a tourist visa after march 1st be going to immigration now. they would have the end of april/beginning of may until they have to get an extension.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Covid19Everywhere said:

Could someone please elaborate if this is valid also for visa-exempt-entries after the 1st of March?

Because in the text it says for people with "Tourist Visa", but visa-exempt-entry is no Tourist Visa, right?

Anyone knows?

A tourist visa is someone on a SETV or METV. Not a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

A tourist visa is someone on a SETV or METV. Not a visa exempt entry.

If they use the term tourist visa like in this story, there is a 99% chance that this includes visa exempts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmjam said:

I believe this is for 30 day visa exempt.

I'm inclined to agree, but I wish they'd make things clear. What is the exact visa type, how long is the waiver and what bureaucratic process is involved, if any? Do we just stay home and wait until the next extension is granted? Will there be a fee at the end? Etc, etc. Do we need to do anything online?

• Like 2