Tourists get automatic visa extensions

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

This is not helping anybody that needs help......This is just a kick in the face to those who are already down, and lending a helping hand to those who least need it....

no surprise, these are thais

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sapson said:

Its a sad indication of the extreme control they feel the need to exercise over western residents and tourists.

Clearly it needed to be an across the board at least 3 month extension for everyone, to keep people out of immigration offices and avoid travel which may soon become impossible anyway.

I just dont get it and the apparent obstructive difficult jump through hoops attitude reported in some cases why?  What do they gain?

I've lived in Thailand long enough to realise and I hasten to add I see it in my Thai son. They are never ever wrong. I guess tongue in cheek the hoards of dirty foreigners at Thai immigration offices are to blame for the virus. 

• Like 1

This would suggest they are referring to three types of 'tourist visa'. 

Types of Tourist Visa

Understanding Visas for Tourists Visiting Thailand

Visa Exemption

The Visa Exemption is the most commonly used method for entering Thailand. On landing at an Airport, you are are stamped permission to stay for 30 days. This covers most people on their holidays. The stamp can be extended at a local Immigration Office (in country) for 1,900 Baht for a further 30 days, after which you then have to leave the country.

If you are coming and going from Thailand into neighbouring countries, you can re-enter using another Visa Exemption stamp, with either 30 days or 15 days granted depending on nationality. That is provided you are out of the country for a few days. You are no longer able to exit and immediately re-enter (visa run) with visa exemptions. Similarly, even if you stay out for a few days, you will be turned away at the border if your Visa Exemptions are obviously going back to back. Always carry your onward plane ticket printed out (not digital) in case requested.

Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV)

If you wish to stay longer than the 30 day Visa Exemption without leaving the country or going to pay for an extension, the easiest option is to buy a Single Entry Tourist Visa from any Thai Consulate or Embassy, with fees as per their websites. The length of stay is 60 days from day of arrival (the single entry of the visa). It may be extended at the local Immigration Office (in country) for a further 30 days for 1,900 Baht, as long as this is done before the 60 days has expired, with the date stamped in your passport, next to the stapled-in white departure card, the last day possible. This will mean you have 90 days in total before you need to leave the country.

The Single Entry Tourist Visa itself shows a validity of 3 months, but this has nothing to do with length of stay, simply stipulating that you must enter the country (i.e. use it) before the expiry date shown (which will be 90 days from when the visa was issued).

After the 60 days (or 90 if you buy that extension), having left the country, you can then re-enter again with either a new Single Entry Tourist Visa bought at a Consulate in one of the countries bordering Thailand and start the 60 days (or 90 if you buy that extension) process once more. Or you can re-enter on a Visa Exemption stamp, granting you 30 days (airport) or 30 or 15 days (land, according to your nationality). How many times you can buy back to back SETV’s and which country has the most amenable Embassy or Consulate for issuing said back-to-back Single Entry Tourist Visas is discussed and updated on many websites.

Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) – The loss of days

What is misunderstood with a Single Entry Tourist Visa is the Single Entry. Simply put, you use this up when you first enter, so whilst you can stay for 60 days and then extend in country for 30, if you step over the border, the visa is immediately finished/cancelled. This is regardless of whether you have used up its full quota of days.

As an example, were you to leave the country after 20 days to pop into Cambodia to see the temples and then come back to Thailand by air or land, you will be given a 30 days (airport) or 30/15 days (land, according to your nationality) visa exemption stamp. You do not pick up the 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa from where you left off, so the 40 days remaining are lost. If buying a Single Entry Tourist Visa but also wanting to travel a little outside of Thailand, therefore, use up your days before you go.

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

Laem Ngop Immigration for Thailand Visa from Koh Chang
Multiple Entry Visas are issued only in your country of origin.
There are strict criteria which must be met for the visa to be granted. Though varying from country to country, these involve bank statements showing at least $6,000 for at least 3 months, letters of employment or if self employed, assessments forms and registration documents, plane tickets in and out and hotel reservations.

The visa is valid for 6 months from date of issue, with 60 days granted per trip. After that, you must leave the country and on re-entry will be granted another 60 days. There is no word yet on whether each 60 days can be extended in-country by 30 days for 1,900 Baht at a local Immigration Office, as is possible with the Single Entry Visa (SETV).

Similarly, it is too early to say if you can hop out at land border after the 60 days (or 90 days if extensions are allowed), stamp into the neighbouring country, turn straight around back into Thailand and re-activate the next 60 days. It may be that you have to stay out for a few days

The Multiple Entry Visa itself shows a validity of 6 months, but this has nothing to do with length of stay, simply stipulating that you must enter the country (i.e. use it) before the expiry date shown (which will be 180 days from when the visa was issued). Only time will tell if it is permitted, but there is nothing to stop you leaving on the days just before expiry and coming back in to re-activate another 60 days. This means though the visa is finished, you are still permitted to stay until those 60 days are up and so in effect, it will give you 8 months in the country.

https://www.tratimmigration.com/tourist-visa-information/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone who was here before March 1st is probably immune by now.

What we really need are antibody test certificates and things might start to look a bit normal by end of April.

There are worse countries to be on lockdown.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

Confusing for me as I've got a METV.

I assume that they're only interested in the date you arrived in the Kingdom, which was 14th March. So, you should be covered. 

I came in early Jan, and did a visa run on 4th March. So, I am covered as well.

Edited by teatime101

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's NOT those that arrived after March 1 that are in real trouble, as they can still apply for the 30-day 'normal' extension with relatively little paperwork.

But it's those that arrived before March 1, and already 'used up' the normal 30-day extension they were provided.  The requirements to apply for the 'emergency covid-19' 30-day extension are preposterous and for many even impossible to meet (e.g. the owner of the place where you are staying, has to be with you when applying for that emergency extension).

It would be funny, if the consequences were not so devastating for those confronted with this bureaucratic madness.

You can only <deleted> with the cock you've got ????????????????????

5 hours ago, sapson said:

I just dont get it and the apparent obstructive difficult jump through hoops attitude reported in some cases why?  What do they gain?

It's not what they gain, it's what they lose - CONTROL.

As others said, it makes sense just to give a 90 day carte-blanche extension across the board.

55 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

This would suggest they are referring to three types of 'tourist visa'. 

Types of Tourist Visa

Understanding Visas for Tourists Visiting Thailand

Visa Exemption

The Visa Exemption is the most commonly used method for entering Thailand. On landing at an Airport, you are are stamped permission to stay for 30 days. This covers most people on their holidays. The stamp can be extended at a local Immigration Office (in country) for 1,900 Baht for a further 30 days, after which you then have to leave the country.

If you are coming and going from Thailand into neighbouring countries, you can re-enter using another Visa Exemption stamp, with either 30 days or 15 days granted depending on nationality. That is provided you are out of the country for a few days. You are no longer able to exit and immediately re-enter (visa run) with visa exemptions. Similarly, even if you stay out for a few days, you will be turned away at the border if your Visa Exemptions are obviously going back to back. Always carry your onward plane ticket printed out (not digital) in case requested.

Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV)

If you wish to stay longer than the 30 day Visa Exemption without leaving the country or going to pay for an extension, the easiest option is to buy a Single Entry Tourist Visa from any Thai Consulate or Embassy, with fees as per their websites. The length of stay is 60 days from day of arrival (the single entry of the visa). It may be extended at the local Immigration Office (in country) for a further 30 days for 1,900 Baht, as long as this is done before the 60 days has expired, with the date stamped in your passport, next to the stapled-in white departure card, the last day possible. This will mean you have 90 days in total before you need to leave the country.

The Single Entry Tourist Visa itself shows a validity of 3 months, but this has nothing to do with length of stay, simply stipulating that you must enter the country (i.e. use it) before the expiry date shown (which will be 90 days from when the visa was issued).

After the 60 days (or 90 if you buy that extension), having left the country, you can then re-enter again with either a new Single Entry Tourist Visa bought at a Consulate in one of the countries bordering Thailand and start the 60 days (or 90 if you buy that extension) process once more. Or you can re-enter on a Visa Exemption stamp, granting you 30 days (airport) or 30 or 15 days (land, according to your nationality). How many times you can buy back to back SETV’s and which country has the most amenable Embassy or Consulate for issuing said back-to-back Single Entry Tourist Visas is discussed and updated on many websites.

Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) – The loss of days

What is misunderstood with a Single Entry Tourist Visa is the Single Entry. Simply put, you use this up when you first enter, so whilst you can stay for 60 days and then extend in country for 30, if you step over the border, the visa is immediately finished/cancelled. This is regardless of whether you have used up its full quota of days.

As an example, were you to leave the country after 20 days to pop into Cambodia to see the temples and then come back to Thailand by air or land, you will be given a 30 days (airport) or 30/15 days (land, according to your nationality) visa exemption stamp. You do not pick up the 60 day Single Entry Tourist Visa from where you left off, so the 40 days remaining are lost. If buying a Single Entry Tourist Visa but also wanting to travel a little outside of Thailand, therefore, use up your days before you go.

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

Laem Ngop Immigration for Thailand Visa from Koh Chang
Multiple Entry Visas are issued only in your country of origin.
There are strict criteria which must be met for the visa to be granted. Though varying from country to country, these involve bank statements showing at least $6,000 for at least 3 months, letters of employment or if self employed, assessments forms and registration documents, plane tickets in and out and hotel reservations.

The visa is valid for 6 months from date of issue, with 60 days granted per trip. After that, you must leave the country and on re-entry will be granted another 60 days. There is no word yet on whether each 60 days can be extended in-country by 30 days for 1,900 Baht at a local Immigration Office, as is possible with the Single Entry Visa (SETV).

Similarly, it is too early to say if you can hop out at land border after the 60 days (or 90 days if extensions are allowed), stamp into the neighbouring country, turn straight around back into Thailand and re-activate the next 60 days. It may be that you have to stay out for a few days

The Multiple Entry Visa itself shows a validity of 6 months, but this has nothing to do with length of stay, simply stipulating that you must enter the country (i.e. use it) before the expiry date shown (which will be 180 days from when the visa was issued). Only time will tell if it is permitted, but there is nothing to stop you leaving on the days just before expiry and coming back in to re-activate another 60 days. This means though the visa is finished, you are still permitted to stay until those 60 days are up and so in effect, it will give you 8 months in the country.

https://www.tratimmigration.com/tourist-visa-information/

True, but single entry and multiple entry tourist visa people who entered after the 1st of march wouldnt be at the immigration offices asking for extensions. They have another month plus a 30 day extension.

20 minutes ago, notyouraveragefarang said:

Going at 5am is for nebies.  Late afternoon is my deal and its worked for me everytime.  Go a day early just in case. 

Under normal situations I would agree and we have never personally gone early -- the IO's magically work much faster right before quittin' time so we found after lunch was best -- you usually finish in the afternoon regardless of arrival time. Only problem with afternoon visits to CW has been the horrendous traffic leaving the complex at same time as all the government employees.

But these are not normal times.  Those arriving in the afternoon at the new processing center have been sent home. Plus, who wants to wait outside in the afternoon sun at the new office? 

Edited by eppic

What if I have already extended my visa run? It will expires on 1th of May. I can't find easy flights due to corona virus, do you think that with a letter from my italian embassy immigration will extend my visa for another 30 days?.

2 hours ago, jimmjam said:

they mean visa exempt, probably don't even know what they call it themselves. why would someone on a tourist visa after march 1st be going to immigration now. they would have the end of april/beginning of may until they have to get an extension.

2 hours ago, jimmjam said:

they mean visa exempt, probably don't even know what they call it themselves. why would someone on a tourist visa after march 1st be going to immigration now. they would have the end of april/beginning of may until they have to get an extension.

You got it right on.  I came in feb 12° .. 2 mo. TV .. went early la migra for extension on mar 13° taking me to May 11°.  Your good description & my example I think shows the validity of what you say and how they looked at this thinking how they could just alleviate the crowds at oficina la migra, then hoping continuing attrition will take care of it.  Not.  Many on 30 day tourist exempt have left for 2 reasons : they never planned over Max 3 weeks holiday, the rest booked it home .. high-tailed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Nope, hardly anyone came in after 1 March, but plenty left. I cant see how such an insignificant number will reduce crowding that much country-wide. 

Yes Less than the 1.6 million March last  year but according to TAT, if you can believe it more than half a million, 

Link here for March Arrivals 

Many of these will be joining us in the queues at Immi or airports .

https://marketingdb.tat.or.th/en/web/guest/tatwebportallink

Swampy 334,696

D Muang 84,682

Phuket   147,450

h yai 2400

also lists the smaller airports but not the land borders that were open .

We can agree to differ what is a significant number and it's reduced to a trickle lately but thats a lot of folks and you only need to be within 28 feet of a sneezing super spreader to discover your life is only worth 1900 baht to them.

Sorry 27 feet we can all relax, thats about 8 metres to EUros, not the hands length suggested here

Dr. Fauci tells coronavirus briefing that a 'very robust,

Dr. Fauci tells coronavirus briefing that a 'very robust, vigorous' sneeze CAN travel 27 feet.Maybe Fauci Offy but I'm taking no chances.

First they came for those standing in line.....

12 hours ago - 'If you see somebody do that get out of the way': Dr. Fauci tells coronavirus briefing that a 'very robust, vigorous' sneeze CAN travel 27 feet.
Edited by RubbaJohnny

My heads spinning after reading through the,to date,8 pages on this thread

To reiterate.....i flew into bangkok(don muang)from siem reap cambodia on march 9th and was granted a 30 day visa exempt stamp till april 7th so if i go along to the thai immigration department on say friday(april 3rd)with my passport(containing said stamp till april 7th)and with a print out of my original return to europe details(from kuala lumpur back to athens,greece via istanbul,turkey with turkish airlines)a flight which has since been cancelled but minus my tm6 arrival card which has since been lost and with 1,900baht ......can i expect to be given at least a 30 day stamp in my passport 

An italian tourist staying at my hostel in bangkok is saying that the thai government is currently discussing extending the 30 day visa exempt to 90 days but that is not finalised as yet

Also could anyone clarify which immigration office i should report to on friday as it seems the original one was deluged with applicants

3 minutes ago, solomon david said:

My heads spinning after reading through the,to date,8 pages on this thread

To reiterate.....i flew into bangkok(don muang)from siem reap cambodia on march 9th and was granted a 30 day visa exempt stamp till april 7th so if i go along to the thai immigration department on say friday(april 3rd)with my passport(containing said stamp till april 7th)and with a print out of my original return to europe details(from kuala lumpur back to athens,greece via istanbul,turkey with turkish airlines)a flight which has since been cancelled but minus my tm6 arrival card which has since been lost and with 1,900baht ......can i expect to be given at least a 30 day stamp in my passport 

An italian tourist staying at my hostel in bangkok is saying that the thai government is currently discussing extending the 30 day visa exempt to 90 days but that is not finalised as yet

Also could anyone clarify which immigration office i should report to on friday as it seems the original one was deluged with applicants

Where to go depends on where you are are.

If you are Nonthoburi or Bangkok there is a new office

A temporary immigration centre has been opened at the Central Investigation Bureau in Muang Thong Thani estate in Nonthaburi province to relieve congestion at the Government Complex on Chaeng Watthana Road.

Immigration spokesman Pol Maj Gen Surapong Chaijan said on Thursday that opening of the temporary office would ease crowding and facilitate social distancing in queues, a necessary step to control the spread of coronavirus disease.

It would provide a range of heavily used services such as 90-day reports and visa extensions for foreigners, and 24-hour reports on accommodation.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Ask your hotel for directions its a long way in the morthern suburbs near my daughters Id guess hour in normal traffic , with less than normal maybe 30-40 minutes , if you can get an honest taximeter and take express way part way 200-400 baht depending on traffic, If concered for health don't even think about public transport and far to far to walk c20km

Have we had official confirmation yet? I've been back and forth to immigration 3 times this week, was told it was 'close' after arriving around lunchtime. Fwiw it's in the parking lot of the CIB building and is a disorganised mess. Sneering immigration officers and a lack of information anywhere. Even this communication has been unclear.

I arrived on a VE on 5th March which runs out on Friday. I'm right in thinking I'll be granted a an automatic extension? 

Fwiw it's not just people who travelled when told not to. There'sca variety of reasons people could still be here. I live in China (who have banned all foreigners from entry) and am staying in Asia so I can work on Chinese time rather than through the night in the UK. It's clear that the Thai authorities attitudes towards foreigners is disgraceful though, from comments in the press to deliberstely obstructive immigration procedures. Crazy considering how the economy is so reliant on tourism. They'll reap what they sew as tourists will continue to visit other SE countries instead. I won't be back, that's for sure. 

6 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Presumably it also covers those on visa exempt so will reduce pressure on the queues straightaway.

where did it say that? I saw people on tourist visas. Ok saw the post where they defined visa exempt as also a tourist visa on the immigration website. let's hope they are thinking this way with this.

Edited by vermin on arrival

So what is the deal now? I got a 30 day on arrival on March 14th in Mae Sai, so I do not have to do any extension until late June?
Or is it really only real tourist visa holders (which would be confusing as they do not need to extend until like the 1st of may or later).

Would be very nice news if I don't have to go anywhere at all until like June lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

5 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

What if I have already extended my visa run? It will expires on 1th of May. I can't find easy flights due to corona virus, do you think that with a letter from my italian embassy immigration will extend my visa for another 30 days?.

If your current stay expires on May 1st then you can't extend until mid April. If after mid April circumstances are still the same (travel bans and no automatic extensions for all tourists) then yes you can extend again with a visa support letter from your embassy. I did exactly that. I am currently staying on visa exempt and I got a stamp telling me to report back in after 2 weeks. There's no real end date in my passport now. Guess they'll just stamp another 2 weeks next time and I probably have to keep doing that.

Paperwork I needed:

- 2 extension application forms

- Visa support letter from embassy (original and copy)

- 2 passport photos (glue onto application forms)

- 2 copies of apartment lease

- copy of house book and owner ID card (2 sets) (ask your landlord)

- 2 sets of pictures of myself standing in front of apartment, inside living room, inside bedroom (3 pics on one A4 page)

- 2 sets of copies of passport ID page, visa and entry stamps and TM6 departure card

I made 2 separate stapled stacks from all these papers. Make sure to sign all copied pages. Bring 1900 baht cash. Wear a mask. It's mandatory. After you get a number find a quiet spot and don't linger in the crowd like most stupid farangs tend to do. Patiently wait until they call your number.

Edited by AgentSmith
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

If they use the term tourist visa like in this story, there is a 99% chance that this includes visa exempts.

They do seem to consider VOA and visa exempts as tourist visas because the temporary office in Muang Thong Thani is said to be for tourist visas but they actually only deal with VOA and exemptions. 

5 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

If your current stay expires on May 1st then you can't extend until mid April. If after mid April circumstances are still the same (travel bans and no automatic extensions for all tourists) then yes you can extend again with a visa support letter from your embassy. I did exactly that. I am currently staying on visa exempt and I got a stamp telling me to report back in after 2 weeks. There's no real end date in my passport now. Guess they'll just stamp another 2 weeks next time and I probably have to keep doing that.

Paperwork I needed:

- 2 extension application forms

- Visa support letter from embassy (original and copy)

- 2 passport photos (glue onto application forms)

- 2 copies of apartment lease

- copy of house book and owner ID card (2 sets) (ask your landlord)

- 2 sets of pictures of myself standing in front of apartment, inside living room, inside bedroom (3 pics on one A4 page)

- 2 sets of copies of passport ID page, visa and entry stamps and TM6 departure card

I made 2 separate stapled stacks from all these papers. Make sure to sign all copied pages. Bring 1900 baht cash. Wear a mask. It's mandatory. After you get a number find a quiet spot and don't linger in the crowd like most stupid farangs tend to do. Patiently wait until they call your number.

Which office did you extend at?