Tourists get automatic visa extensions

56 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Which office did you extend at?

- Visa support letter from embassy (original and copy)

I believe you, but it defies logic that if your 400 miles from bangkok and get your letter from embassy by email pdf, then they expect you to make a trip to bangkok embassy for original?

does anyone expect that if you called your embassy, and could actually speak to that particular office that they'd say "right-o, we'll have that in the post forthright, no worry."

nong khai
Edited by warvet1970
What utter nonsense, then. These people really are buffoons. It brings to mind the Keystone Kops.

29 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

1900 baht is the reason they want you down in Immigration. 

They should just set up a online system for now. They could even charge 2k and make a extra 100 a head. They make more and we still come out ahead do to transport costs being saved. Most importantly would be social distancing. They can shut the online system off once this crisis is over. 

Edited by lovesthespicy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, sapson said:

Its a sad indication of the extreme control they feel the need to exercise over western residents and tourists.

Clearly it needed to be an across the board at least 3 month extension for everyone, to keep people out of immigration offices and avoid travel which may soon become impossible anyway.

I just dont get it and the apparent obstructive difficult jump through hoops attitude reported in some cases why?  What do they gain?

17 hours ago, sapson said:

"What do they gain?" ... How about 1900 baht per extension application! 

Hey folks it is a start.  At least they have now reached the point that they can look at this.  Granting the automatic 30 day is going to cut down on the number of people at CW.  Is it a perfect solution HELL NO but it is a start.

These things will work out and hopefully things wil get resolved.

17 hours ago, csmith said:

What's the problem .… I extended my NON-IMM 'O' (spouse) VISA two weeks ago at Chiangmai Immigration … arrived early in the morning … second in that queue … all done and out by 10:30a.m.

I am looking at doing the same from Multi Imm Non "O" visa

All straightforward but where it says....

"7.1 Bank Certificate, bank statement and updated bank book"

What's a bank certificate?

Bank statement AND updated bank book? Surely, an updated bank book shows identical info as a bank statement? Or am I missing something?

13 hours ago, lovesthespicy said:

Confusing for me as I've got a METV. I came in on January. I reentered March 14th. So would I have automatic extension when I do my 30 days? I'm guessing no way of knowing without going down to immigration. 

I would say yes, you are the type of tourist they want to keep away from immigration for now with this rule. If you re-entered in March, you should actually have got 60 days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, falang1969 said:

Bank statement AND updated bank book? Surely, an updated bank book shows identical info as a bank statement? Or am I missing something?

Upto date letter from your bank branch showing your balance..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

Does that March 1 include people who renewed visas after that date? I renewed for 30 days on March 26. Entered the country on Feb 26.

Probably not, it states people who entered the kingdom after march 1st

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's NOT those that arrived after March 1 that are in real trouble, as they can still apply for the 30-day 'normal' extension with relatively little paperwork.

But it's those that arrived before March 1, and already 'used up' the normal 30-day extension they were provided.  The requirements to apply for the 'emergency covid-19' 30-day extension are preposterous and for many even impossible to meet (e.g. the owner of the place where you are staying, has to be with you when applying for that emergency extension).

It would be funny, if the consequences were not so devastating for those confronted with this bureaucratic madness.

I can understand in their option ….as they seems to help the "so called real tourist" …., while those in problem are / where the ones , who used in the anyway legall ways...,the options to jump from one stamp to another, to stay as long the system could be squeezed .

But it does not solve the overcrowded immigration , only a few less , as the big numbers are the ones I described up

Edited by david555

18 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Because no-one knows how long this is going to go on (for quite a while by the looks) consider an ED visa if you are applicable. 1900 each month and the hassle and risk of doing this every 30 days in such heat is torture ????

An education visa requires you to study... where are you going to do that with all teaching facilities closed?

Don't think you'll be granted that one any time soon!

• Like 1

I would think an automatic 60 day extension to whatever your current expiry date is, with no need to visit immigration would have been a better proposal. Then they could just shut the immigration offices down or at least go with a skeleton staff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NamH2O said:

Doe's anyone know if this directive applies to 30 day entry's under Bilateral agreement.My wife is from laos,already been refused 30 day extension as entry's under Bilateral agreements are not permitted.

The details aren't public yet (maybe not even decided yet)

Your wife can get a letter from her embassy and apply for a 30 day extension based on this.

We have the letter,been to immigration on monday,were told to wait for the announcement,we were told that if we want to apply for and extension we would need to provide more documents.ie copy of owners blue book + there ID, Various photos of her at the apartment,and a map of where we live,now I read they require two sets of everything which I have prepared this morning,just trying to avoid another trip tomorrow to Jomtien. Entry finishes 6th April.

Edited by NamH2O
Add more info

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Can you not go for a one year Marriage Extension?

Not after losing your job that allowed you to meet income requirements and losing 200k baht trying to get new job and work permit in another country. Im stuck hete till borders open up again and can get visa to new country eithet vietnam ot czech republic. Which the czech republic ill be going for study at one of the top universities in the world for cinamatography and photography. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, smedly said:

I wish every western tourist that ever visited Thailand was here right now to experience this - it would take a very long time to forget about the treatment they received - in fact it would leave such a sour taste I suspect they would never be back

Foolishness !

To put it another way. Please don't come to immigration for your 30 day extention for your tourist visa. We will give it to you free for not showing up at Thai immigration to protect us from coronavirus. If you overstayed your tourist visa already, you will be fined 500 baht per day. Thai law is clever with loopholes so they can change the meaning later on. The best thing to do is have the money to pay fines if needed, this is always the safe thing to do.

Edited by Winky Wilson
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It's NOT those that arrived after March 1 that are in real trouble, as they can still apply for the 30-day 'normal' extension with relatively little paperwork.

But it's those that arrived before March 1, and already 'used up' the normal 30-day extension they were provided.  The requirements to apply for the 'emergency covid-19' 30-day extension are preposterous and for many even impossible to meet (e.g. the owner of the place where you are staying, has to be with you when applying for that emergency extension).

It would be funny, if the consequences were not so devastating for those confronted with this bureaucratic madness.

You didn't think for one minute that IMM was going to make it easy ? they make it So Difficult that people not even going to try and just cop the consequences and Have to Pay.   ????

• Like 1

can you see ? Finally someone has been able to think !

Just wait a bit more, slow brains need time, and then we will all get an automatic visa extension.

But truly, how can they be so retarded ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

People who arrived on a tourist visa after 1st March can just apply for the regular 30 day tourist extension, these are not the people who currently have problems staying legal.

Thanks for the "help" Thai government.

You need to read what he said. They are trying to curb group gatherings by making it automatic without the need to go to the office. Really need to stop assuming everything is bad

I arrived in bkk on the 7th Feb on a 60 days tourist visa. Gotta extend 30 days on the 6th April.

Going to the new temporary K counter tomorrow Friday and handover my brand new passport with only one stamp. 

I’m going to take the risk of catching the C-19 since public transportations, taxis probably are filled with viruses.

Its also a major risk of getting the virus after an immigrant officer who holds thousands of passports daily put his dirty hands on my passport...

why not make it simple and let people do this online and pay the 1900 baht extension fee???

why they wanna put us and them self in a risk?

Bureaucracy or just crazy???

2 hours ago, falang1969 said:

Ae you saying you have a multiple entry non O visa? Thst is different.