Golf Courses open in Singapore -Thailand knows better?

Thailand

That is because no one can afford to play a game there anyway.

I used to nip across to Batam, stay for 3 days at hotel, play 3 of the 7 beautifully kept courses, all meals. Total cost would be equivalent to one game in Singers!

Mind you, there are some well off people in Singapore!

Edited by ianezy0
  • Thanks 1

Personally, and selfishly,  I wish they were still open. However if you agree with social distancing then probably the right decision to close even with some of the measures being taken in the article. 

The golf bar I was playing out of still had 10 or more golfers last Friday with most of those in a mini bus. Meeting beforehand and then in a bus together, then congregating with caddies around the bags makes social distancing not very meaningful.

Playing as a singleton would work better but everyone would need their own transport - which I have.

3 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

If you read the report, at the courses mentioned, most were busier than normal.

However I do agree with the general thrust of your comments.

Daft closing golf courses, close clubhouses and stop presentations yes. Many countries have done the same though just copying each other.

Could just say no caddies until Corona passes that allows the golf clubs to get money

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

In Australia some golf courses are closed and some are open.  A lot of that depends on the ownership - if the golf course is owned by the golf club (food and alcohol) then it had to close. Luckily mine is seperate, and the golf club is closed, but the golf course is open. Strict rules on distancing though - only 2 players per playing group and no sharing of carts.  Perhaps that is why many are closed in Thailand - they dont seem to be know how to have golf without the compulsory caddie. 

2 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

In Australia some golf courses are closed and some are open.  A lot of that depends on the ownership - if the golf course is owned by the golf club (food and alcohol) then it had to close. Luckily mine is seperate, and the golf club is closed, but the golf course is open. Strict rules on distancing though - only 2 players per playing group and no sharing of carts.  Perhaps that is why many are closed in Thailand - they dont seem to be know how to have golf without the compulsory caddie. 

Yes i think the compulsory caddy means you can't social distance especially if they are pretty ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

I used to nip across to Batam, stay for 3 days at hotel, play 3 of the 7 beautifully kept courses, all meals. Total cost would be equivalent to one game in Singers!

Mind you, there are some well off people in Singapore!

I am a member of the Singapore Island Golf Club and pay the equivalent of 3500 baht per month (160 sing) in fees. Unlimited rounds, no caddie, no cart required. This is probably the best club in Singapore. Probably the same that you are paying for one round in Thailand if you have to use a compulsory caddie and cart. Unfortunately there is a waiting list for memberships at a mere 4,000,000 baht. (I bought mine in 1979)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I am a member of the Singapore Island Golf Club and pay the equivalent of 3500 baht per month (160 sing) in fees. Unlimited rounds, no caddie, no cart required. This is probably the best club in Singapore. Probably the same that you are paying for one round in Thailand if you have to use a compulsory caddie and cart. Unfortunately there is a waiting list for memberships at a mere 4,000,000 baht. (I bought mine in 1979)

Enjoy,sounds like a great purchase.

That said the 2 courses I frequent when I can cost 380  baht 18 holes including caddy fee, and  230 baht 18 holes including caddy fee.

Low season specials at very good courses can be as little as 550 baht including caddy fee and cart. 

Currently my major enjoyment and pastime and healthy exercise is unavailable.

Edited by Thailand