BANGKOK
webfact

Makro reserves two hours for elderly and those with special needs

Oh goodie, goodie.  The Mrs and I both can both go early.  Well, maybe.  Wonder if this is like two-tiered pricing where it only applies to kon Thai?  🤔  Hummm?

On 4/1/2020 at 3:38 PM, Antonymous said:

Aha! There had to be catch!

Catch 22? 

On 4/1/2020 at 3:47 PM, fforest1 said:

Is 57 considered elderly?

I wonder how they are going to check the age of every customer. For Thai, it is not a problem because they have their ID card.

But for foreigners who don't have driving licence, do they need to bring their bulky passport when they go shopping?

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I wonder how they are going to check the age of every customer. For Thai, it is not a problem because they have their ID card.

But for foreigners who don't have driving licence, do they need to bring their bulky passport when they go shopping?

Just take a zimmer frame and you should be ok...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

'bulky passport', 

another reason not to stop working out.

• Haha 2

Went there this morning. Not crowded but OMG. No Mama Noddle and very little eggs. What's happened. Hording?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Only those foreigners priding themselves on their shrewdness for not bothering to get one of those utterly useless pink ID cards. Heh.

For the rest of us foreigners, it is not a problem because we'll just whip out the cards.

Edited by BigStar

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Shocked said:

Went there this morning. Not crowded but OMG. No Mama Noddle and very little eggs. What's happened. Hording?

I've noticed NO major stores can currently keep eggs in stock. Went to a local farmers market, plenty on hand and no markup. Open air, but we still needed to wear a mask, get temp taken, and get a hand sanitizer spritz. I REALLY hope they don't get shut down, I get all my fruits & veggies there.

Edited by J Town
speling [sic]

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Only those foreigners priding themselves on their shrewdness for not bothering to get one of those utterly useless pink ID cards. Heh.

For the rest of us foreigners, it is not a problem because we'll just whip out the cards.

Are all foreigners on Non-O visa eligible to apply for the pink card? How to apply?

2 hours ago, Shocked said:

Mama noodles is loaded with MSG, get something else.

23 hours ago, Saltire said:

Be interesting to see if a Thai driving licence will be enough to admit foreigners?

And if business operators are in early too it may well be very busy, especially at checkouts

A lot of foreigners don't have Thai driving licence, I see them riding their bicycles. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Are all foreigners on Non-O visa eligible to apply for the pink card? How to apply?

Yep. First you get a yellow book from your Amphur and then you're entitled to get a pink card, which may well be at the same office on the same day as you get the yellow book.

Yellow book requirements vary from province to province and can be easy peasy or a bit onerous. It's of course quite onerous at Pattaya, to keep yellow books away from all the riff-raff, but I had good time getting mine anyway, joked around, flirted with the ladies, gave my phone# to one (still waiting), got a smile out the Mayor (very personable; what nice office, too) and his men when I told him I was "trying" to speak Thai, and saluted the security guards on the way out. Most of the time you can make interacting with Thais quite pleasant, with patience and congeniality. I like my pink card.

Anyway, search the Visas forum for "yellow book" and you'll find some threads on the subject. Need to filter out the usual noise.

Edited by BigStar

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Huh. Finally some use for it. 

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Huh. Finally some use for it. 

Use mine at the bank for over-the-counter withdrawals, use it at the PO to send a package, use it at another bank for paying bills, etc. But for those members who only do what is necessary--eat, drink, sleep, and have bowel movements--it's, strictly speaking, not necessary. As in the Makro case: carry your passport, old man. 🙂 Me, I tend to add in a few extras here and there.

I have the pink ID, only use I had was a couple of times to get Thai entry price but those were later propped up back to farang prices. I'll carry it now when I go to Makro, thanks for the heads up.