Very pleasant experience at Phuket Immigration – OA extension based on retirement

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

It will not be forever in lock-down, and this is a really interesting development when indeed it is Phuket IO policy not to require the thai IO-approved health-insurance anymore for OA Visa extensions for reason of retirement.

I do not see how Phuket can bypass a police order requiring insurance on O-A based retirement extensions. The OP is a Newbie poster and I would like to see further confirmation. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

It will not be forever in lock-down, and this is a really interesting development when indeed it is Phuket IO policy not to require the thai IO-approved health-insurance anymore for OA Visa extensions for reason of retirement.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I do not see how Phuket can bypass a police order requiring insurance on O-A based retirement extensions. The OP is a Newbie poster and I would like to see further confirmation. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP, did not have an O-A previously IMHO. I think he made a mistake. Perhaps he could clarify.

My gut feeling is that his ability to provide Immigration with a Foreign Insurance Certificate issued by his insurance company (as he stated in the OP) was probably crucial to his successful retirement extension application.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP, did not have an O-A previously IMHO. I think he made a mistake. Perhaps he could clarify.

Apparently, his O-A dates back to 2005:

I have an OA visa based on retirement which I have extended annually since 2005.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That's indeed a possibility.  It's also possible that the officer processing his application mistook his original OA Visa for an O Visa.  And the 3rd possibility is that Phuket IO does not require thai IO-approved health-insurance anymore for 1-year extensions of stay for OA Visa for reason of retirement (OPs before last sentence seems to indicate that that is the case).

>> Question for OP - Did you apply for the Visa you are extending in your home-country, or did you apply for it in Thailand or a neighboring country?

I'm a German national. From 2003 to April 2005 I worked in Seoul, Korea. My Non-Immigrant O-A visa based on retirement dated April 7, 2005 was issued in Seoul and I have extended it annually in Phuket up to now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PST said:

Are there seperate queues for 'normal' extensions, or do you need to queue in the same line as tourist/covid extensions?

There are separate queues for 'normal extensions (room 103?). Tourist/covid extensions are handled separately.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thomago said:

I'm a German national. From 2003 to April 2005 I worked in Seoul, Korea. My Non-Immigrant O-A visa based on retirement dated April 7, 2005 was issued in Seoul and I have extended it annually in Phuket up to now.

An OA is only available from your home country, if you got a visa from Seoul it would have been an O visa.(insurance not required)

That would certainly explain why you didnt need insurance, you got an extension from an original O visa, not an OA visa.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

An OA is only available from your home country, if you got a visa from Seoul it would have been an O visa.(insurance not required)

That would certainly explain why you didnt need insurance, you got an extension from an original O visa, not an OA visa.

Not correct. My OA was issued in Korea. I'm just looking at my old passport with the OA visa in it. Believe me.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I thought a non O-A was only able to be issued in your own country. In your case Germany. How did you obtain one in Seoul?

I worked in Seoul at that time. Submitted all the required paperwork to the Thai Embassy in Seoul and was issued an OA visa based on retirement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thomago said:

Not correct. My OA was issued in Korea. I'm just looking at my old passport with the OA visa in it. Believe me.

Is it a stamp or a full page sticker ? Any chance you can send a photo ?

You keep saying an OA based on retirement, an OA is only ever issued based on retirement, there are no other OA visa's. An O visa can be issued for various reasons, one of them being retirement.

If it is an OA then it would appear immigration has made a mistake in your favour, you were (and maybe will be next year) required to have insurance.

23 hours ago, thomago said:

These local insurances are very expensive and do not provide value for money.

Based on this, I was prepared to change my “OA based on retirement” to “OA based on marriage”.

I didn't think there was an OA based on marriage visa? Its just an OA visa for long term stay that needs insurance (or in your case not for some reason?).

You would need to change to O based visa and extend that based on retirement or marriage to avoid insurance.

49 minutes ago, thomago said:

what length of permission to stay stamp did you get on the first ever entry you made, based on that visa issued in Seoul on April 7 2005,

i think the terminology you use to describe your yearly extension of your permission to stay, as you call it an OA extension based on retirement, is confusing other posters on here, you can not extend any visa only the permission to stay stamp that the visa gives you on entry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I didn't think there was an OA based on marriage visa? Its just an OA visa for long term stay that needs insurance (or in your case not for some reason?).

You would need to change to O based visa and extend that based on retirement or marriage to avoid insurance.

You can only APPLY for the Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa in your home-country.  Since you need to be +50 years of age, it is sometimes also referred to as Non Imm O-A retirement Visa.

But when you apply for an EXTENSION of stay based on that original Non Imm O-A Visa you can do this for reason of retirement, or for another reason (e.g. marriage to a thai national).  The requirements are different, and ONLY an extension for reason of retirement requires the mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

When applying for an extension of your O-A Visa for reason of marriage, there is thus no reason to exit Thailand to switch to the Non Imm O Visa that does not require health-insurance.  When not married to a thai national, and wanting to avoid the thai IO-approved health-insurance you could convert to a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension, but that requires you to exit the country.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what length of permission to stay stamp did you get on the first ever entry you made, based on that visa issued in Seoul on April 7 2005,

i think the terminology you use to describe your yearly extension of your permission to stay, as you call it an OA extension based on retirement, is confusing other posters on here, you can not extend any visa only the permission to stay stamp that the visa gives you on entry.

My first permission to stay in 2005 was for one year and I have extended it annually here in Phuket.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, did you have permanent residence in Sth Korea when you obtained your O-A

No, I only had a work permit for my role as President & CEO for a large subsidiary of a major international company.

3 minutes ago, thomago said:

No, I only had a work permit for my role as President & CEO for a large subsidiary of a major international company.

Apparently it was some type of residency that the embassy in Seoul accepted or they would not of issued a OA visa to you. 

• Like 2