Jump to content
BANGKOK
thomago

Very pleasant experience at Phuket Immigration – OA extension based on retirement

Recommended Posts

It could be worth it to relocate to Phuket for a month or so for those people where the local immigration want insurance.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It could be worth it to relocate to Phuket for a month or so for those people where the local immigration want insurance.

Island is in lockdown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Island is in lockdown.

Yes of course it is, I was talking a broader time frame when the virus is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

It will not be forever in lock-down, and this is a really interesting development when indeed it is Phuket IO policy not to require the thai IO-approved health-insurance anymore for OA Visa extensions for reason of retirement.

I do not see how Phuket can bypass a police order requiring insurance on O-A based retirement extensions. The OP is a Newbie poster and I would like to see further confirmation. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP, did not have an O-A previously IMHO. I think he made a mistake. Perhaps he could clarify.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there seperate queues for 'normal' extensions, or do you need to queue in the same line as tourist/covid extensions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

It will not be forever in lock-down, and this is a really interesting development when indeed it is Phuket IO policy not to require the thai IO-approved health-insurance anymore for OA Visa extensions for reason of retirement.

 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I do not see how Phuket can bypass a police order requiring insurance on O-A based retirement extensions. The OP is a Newbie poster and I would like to see further confirmation. 

 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP, did not have an O-A previously IMHO. I think he made a mistake. Perhaps he could clarify.

My gut feeling is that his ability to provide Immigration with a Foreign Insurance Certificate issued by his insurance company (as he stated in the OP) was probably crucial to his successful retirement extension application.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP, did not have an O-A previously IMHO. I think he made a mistake. Perhaps he could clarify.

Apparently, his O-A dates back to 2005:

Quote

I have an OA visa based on retirement which I have extended annually since 2005.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That's indeed a possibility.  It's also possible that the officer processing his application mistook his original OA Visa for an O Visa.  And the 3rd possibility is that Phuket IO does not require thai IO-approved health-insurance anymore for 1-year extensions of stay for OA Visa for reason of retirement (OPs before last sentence seems to indicate that that is the case).

>> Question for OP - Did you apply for the Visa you are extending in your home-country, or did you apply for it in Thailand or a neighboring country?

 

I'm a German national. From 2003 to April 2005 I worked in Seoul, Korea. My Non-Immigrant O-A visa based on retirement dated April 7, 2005 was issued in Seoul and I have extended it annually in Phuket up to now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PST said:

Are there seperate queues for 'normal' extensions, or do you need to queue in the same line as tourist/covid extensions?

There are separate queues for 'normal extensions (room 103?). Tourist/covid extensions are handled separately.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...