Very pleasant experience at Phuket Immigration – OA extension based on retirement

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I didn't think there was an OA based on marriage visa? Its just an OA visa for long term stay that needs insurance (or in your case not for some reason?).

You would need to change to O based visa and extend that based on retirement or marriage to avoid insurance.

Based on my limited understanding -- but with previous advice from Peter Denis -- I think that an OA based on retirement permission to stay can be converted to an OA based on marriage or dependents. No insurance would then be required and no need to leave the country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thomago said:

Based on my limited understanding -- but with previous advice from Peter Denis -- I think that an OA based on retirement permission to stay can be converted to an OA based on marriage or dependents. No insurance would then be required and no need to leave the country.

There is no conversion of OA visa entry. You would just apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no conversion of OA visa entry. You would just apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage instead of retirement.

So what you're saying (Joe), is if I apply for an extension based on marriage, (and yes I do have a Non Immigrant O-A), Immigrations is going to ignore the requirement for the insurance and process my application just like every other plain old Non-Immigrant O for reason of marriage to a Thai citizen?  

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct. insurance is not required for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

The insurance is only shown in the clause of the police for retirement extensions.

The glitch is that some odd offices may either say it is required or will refuse to the extension based upon marriage with a OA visa entry,

Ok, so what about our office here in Ubon.  Any feedback on experiences from either Rajabhat or Sirindhorn yet?

11 hours ago, mosan said:

Ok, so what about our office here in Ubon.  Any feedback on experiences from either Rajabhat or Sirindhorn yet?

I have seen nothing about them. Stop by the office at Rajabhat and ask them is the best thing to do.

12 hours ago, mosan said:

As UJ suggested, just visit your local IO and ask whether the health-insurance requirement is applicable when applying for the 1-year extension of your original O-A Visa for ANOTHER REASON than for retirement (e.g. for marriage, dependant child, ...).

It is foreseen in the IO rules/regulations, but in case they don't allow applying for reason of marriage (or still require the health-insurance even when applying for reason of marriage), just PM me and I will sent you a comprehensive guideline outlining all details/options to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension (which does NOT require health-insurance).

• Like 1