Free fabric face masks to be distributed soon

snoop1130

Free fabric face masks to be distributed soon

By The Nation

800_ee8f8c41d86326f.jpg

Suriya Juangroongruangkit

The Industry Ministry plans to hand out 10 million fabric face masks for free to help members of the public protect themselves during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit said on March 17 the Cabinet had earmarked Bt65 million to produce more than 50 million units.

Manufacturers of the items will be chosen by the Federation of Thai Industries, while the production standards and quality of the fabric used will have to first be approved by the Thailand Textile Institute.

The first lot of a million units will be distributed on April 11, and another 5.6 million units should be ready for distribution by the beginning of May.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385199

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-01

1 minute ago, stuhan said:

Last week our village leader called to ask about all family living on our land and he asked about me the farang living here,we gave all the info he wanted ,so he was fully aware of me being here for three years never leaving the country and to my surprise they came with 4 free masks for my family but not for me,i presume thats another dig at the farang .I have helped this village,given food and employment and this makes me feel they really don't give a hoot about us farangs.

Maybe he thought you would be offended .... ???? ... Farang not use mask .. or Farang is superman .. Him no need ...

Take care and stay safe !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The virus affects the respiratory system so if they prevent at least some of the germs from entering your lungs by way of your airways they must be doing more good than harm.

The disease (covid-19 is a disease not a virus) also lives on surfaces for a few hours...best not be accidentally putting that mask on inside out !!

• Haha 2

Awash with the things here. Apart from the ones we bought cheaply

( cloth ) and a pack of surgical type they came around yesterday and gave the wife another 4 for both of us. In the meantime my wife and several of her friends have been making them for distribution in Bangkok. Drive into local Ampur and all sorts of cloth ones on sale and nowadays just about everyone is wearing them except children.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The virus affects the respiratory system so if they prevent at least some of the germs from entering your lungs by way of your airways they must be doing more good than harm.

It does not only protect you from getting it,But more importantly  It  prevent others from giving it to you through exhalation. 

Everyone should be required to wear a face mask, oa least it would reduce transmission by  that factor.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

The disease (covid-19 is a disease not a virus) also lives on surfaces for a few hours...best not be accidentally putting that mask on inside out !!

Why is it called the Coronavirus then?

1 hour ago, stuhan said:

Last week our village leader called to ask about all family living on our land and he asked about me the farang living here,we gave all the info he wanted ,so he was fully aware of me being here for three years never leaving the country and to my surprise they came with 4 free masks for my family but not for me,i presume thats another dig at the farang .I have helped this village,given food and employment and this makes me feel they really don't give a hoot about us farangs.

More and more examples will happen, and those that thought everything Thai is wonderful are going to be the hardest hit. I envisage many Buriram shirts and Amulets owned by foreigners being binned.

1 hour ago, stuhan said:

You won't be helping them anymore.

2 hours ago, stuhan said:

Many years ago in a very different crisis I found myself in a crowd of 100+ people where small food parcels (1 meal) were being thrown into the sea of hands....

Guess who was the only one to leave empty handed?

(Tongue-in-cheek to a certain extent but it was blatantly obvious....& I wasn't actually there for the food!)

Edited by evadgib

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Correct that Covid-19 is not the virus, the virus causes Covid-19. Similar like HIV vs AIDS. But if you want to be pedantic then don't say a disease lives on surfaces. A disease is a condition of the living organism that an infection with the virus causes.

13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

It doesn't really protect healthy person from getting infected other than lowering the number of times such person touches his or her face.

Except idiots like me who when I do wear the mask I'm  continually scratching and adjusting the mask because it irritates and fogs up my specs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Except idiots like me who when I do wear the mask I'm  continually scratching and adjusting the mask because it irritates and fogs up my specs.

I saw some masks that have another "flap" inside that basically seal the mask at the top to stop that. I had a Xiaomi mask before that had that, you could flip the flap down where it would let the air go up into glasses (or into eyes, which is also quite irritating), or you could put the flap up, which pushed the air out on the sides. The mask with fan I use has a memory foam at the top to minimise the air escaping mask at the top, but it's nowhere near as good as the old one. That was original AirPoP mask. Haven't seen them for sale anywhere in a long time now.

13 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Presumably they will be distributed in Bangkok, like all the Ptt hand sanitiser, and other free masks.  It is about time they started distribution of these essentials in Isaan to people who have no hope of buying anything protective!

We were given 1 free mask each here out in the sticks, Buriram way