Users slam Grab for charging extra in time of crisis

snoop1130

Users slam Grab for charging extra in time of crisis

By The Nation

gwrg.PNG

Delivery company Grab came under fire after it announced it was collecting Bt3 extra from users of GrabExpress (Bike) and GrabAssistants.

On April 1, Grab also launched “GrabCare”, a new campaign to cut down on the commission taken from providers from 35 per cent to 30 per cent and allowing GrabCar and GrabTaxi to deliver food. The company is also giving discounts for food deliveries to the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute, Raj Pracha Samasai Institute, Ramathibodi Hospital, Chulalongkorn Hospital, Rajavithi Hospital, Siriraj Hospital, and Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun Hospital.

However, on the Grab application, there is a new announcement that users of GrabExpress (Bike) and GrabAssistants will be required to pay an extra Bt3 for every delivery ordered. This announcement was slammed, with people saying the company is taking advantage of the crisis, when people are forced to stay home and are suffering from financial problems.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385203

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-01
  • Like 1

Sounds like Grab is reducing their cut on the restaurant end from 35% to 30%, which is really needed, as the restaurant owners I speak to say that make almost no profit when they lose 35% on the order. Grab is then charing the person ordering the food 3THB more. It is shifting cost to the consumer, which is reasonable, especially considering it is only 3THB. If Grab's outrageous commission on the restaurant side puts the restaurants out of business, everyone loses.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

However, on the Grab application, there is a new announcement that users of GrabExpress (Bike) and GrabAssistants will be required to pay an extra Bt3 for every delivery ordered. This announcement was slammed, with people saying the company is taking advantage of the crisis, when people are forced to stay home and are suffering from financial problems.

How lucky for people that can stay home and only have to pay 3 baht extra during a time like this. Try to think about the poor people working and deliver during risky times. Maybe they would be happy if they just had to pay 3 baht instead.

• Like 2

Anyone know what FoodPanda is doing in these times? 

I've heard they have upped their charges for consumer and restaurants too.  Any restaurant owners or people in the know please speak out.

... and as always in such situations some small criminals who try to take advantage by stealing money from those who don't already have it ... an example, JD Central (online shopping) charges for a simple mask 293 Baht plus shipping...

14 hours ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

Am I reading this correctly - 3 baht price rise?  And folks are going nuts??  

Part of the problem I suspect is because relatively speaking this involves small numbers.... so any increase — when expressed as a percentage — will now appear on an optics basis, to be much bigger than the raw number increase itself....

the same can occur with much larger numbers..... a base number - say 50,000 - can appear to be quite small if it’s expressed as just .2% — but that’s from the larger number of 25,000,000

So, my guess here is that it’s not so much about 3 baht per se... but that the 3 baht, expressed as a percentage, now optically appears to be quite big.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

How lucky for people that can stay home and only have to pay 3 baht extra during a time like this. Try to think about the poor people working and deliver during risky times. Maybe they would be happy if they just had to pay 3 baht instead.

It's the drivers that get hit the hardest during times like these, risking their health making absolute peanuts.  I used to do DoorDash as a side hustle in the US, which is a similar service to Grab food.  They wanted me to drive 5 miles to pickup and deliver burger king for ~$6...lol.  When you run the numbers you're not even making minimum wage most nights working for these companies.