China tapped for more masks to protect medics

snoop1130

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

i skimmed through the anecdotes in the article, decided to check the one item that seems most relevant to the discussion.  that would be the who statement of "no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission."  that right there would be a red flag, indicating there indeed WAS evidence of transmission!  what did they mean by "significant"?

from your linked article:

But a Jan. 12 WHO press release said: “Based on the preliminary information from the Chinese investigation team, no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission and no health care worker infections have been reported.”

the press release linked to does NOT contain this quote.  i didn't bother to check the other links, as i don't consider this reporting.

https://www.who.int/csr/don/12-january-2020-novel-coronavirus-china/en/

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i skimmed through the anecdotes in the article, decided to check the one item that seems most relevant to the discussion.  that would be the who statement of "no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission."  that right there would be a red flag, indicating there indeed WAS evidence of transmission!  what did they mean by "significant"?

from your linked article:

But a Jan. 12 WHO press release said: “Based on the preliminary information from the Chinese investigation team, no evidence of significant human-to-human transmission and no health care worker infections have been reported.”

the press release linked to does NOT contain this quote.  i didn't bother to check the other links, as i don't consider this reporting.

https://www.who.int/csr/don/12-january-2020-novel-coronavirus-china/en/

Well, if you don't consider articles outlining facts, timelines and named sources as reporting, there obviously isn't anything I can show you that will make you change your mind. You've picked a side and you're blindly sticking with it.

But remember, opinions don't change facts. Facts change opinions. Or at least they do with rational thinkers. 

14 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Well, if you don't consider articles outlining facts, timelines and named sources as reporting, there obviously isn't anything I can show you that will make you change your mind. You've picked a side and you're blindly sticking with it.

But remember, opinions don't change facts. Facts change opinions. Or at least they do with rational thinkers. 

facts?

the "news" article you posted printed a FAKE quote that does not appear in the linked who statement!

i took the time to check the named source.  did you?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

facts?

the "news" article you posted printed a FAKE quote that does not appear in the linked who statement!

Right, China and the WHO did warn us that this can be transmitted human-to-human. They just thought by saying "there's no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission" in early January that people would assume to prepare for the worst. What a bunch of dummies we are. 

Mind you, that does beg the question why China got angry with the US for "inappropriately reacting to the outbreak" by restricting air travel from China back in early February. Maybe you should be a spokesperson for China and the WHO:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/coronavirus-us-travel-restrictions-monday/index.html

57 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

facts?

Why did WHO take that tweet down? I thought it was as clear as mud.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/who-haunted-by-old-tweet-saying-china-found-no-human-transmission-of-coronavirus/

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Why did WHO take that tweet down? I thought it was as clear as mud.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/who-haunted-by-old-tweet-saying-china-found-no-human-transmission-of-coronavirus/

jinkies!  you don't quit with the fake news, do you?

clickbait headline altering meaning sez:

old tweet saying China found no human transmission of coronavirus

text sez:

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

jinkies!  you don't quit with the fake news, do you?

clickbait headline altering meaning sez:

old tweet saying China found no human transmission of coronavirus

text sez:

Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in #Wuhan, #China

Oh, sorry. Fake news. Of course. 

Clearly they were trying to inform us the virus could be spread person to person. Then a month later they got angry at US for restricting travel from China. Makes perfect sense.

Edited by rkidlad