Alcohol Sale Ban

stament

11 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

They have already said that it's not a 'Total Forced Lockdown.' This isn't China, where they welded apartment house doors shut.

People will still be able to go to work if their businesses are still operating. People will still be able to go food shopping where ever they want. Or go to the pharmacy or any other essential needs.  It's the 'unnecessary trips' that they will be trying to control. And with good reason.

The Chinese did that?

1 hour ago, stament said:

The Chinese did that?

They even welded people into their appartments in Wuhan! Delivered food and water by ropes through the windows. They took 'self-quarantine' to a whole new level. I talk with people in China every day via the computer, and the drastic measures that were taken were REALLY drastic. Only one member of a family was allowed outside at a time in other areas, and had to have a 'pass' issued by the local government. Most of the kids never left the house for 4-5 weeks straight.

57 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Alcohol per se has nothing to do with the amount of Coronavirus cases.

That's correct. The ban is being done to try to suppress people going outside, interacting with others, be that in the mini-marts or gathering together for drinks as they do every day and night. Social distancing is being enforced by the government because people are too selfish to self-discipline themselves.  If we're going to behave like children deprived of our toys, we deserve to be treated like children. In a Pandemic, the wants of the individual must accede to the needs of the community.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:47 PM, holy cow cm said:
On 4/2/2020 at 8:11 PM, Hank Gunn said:

I live in Buriram and haven't heard of this. Not being a big drinker, a ban may well have been implemented here without my knowing it, but I've not seen it here on TV nor on a Buriam-specific forum I'm on.

Just a quick addendum, it appeared on my last trip to Makro a couple of days ago that beer, wine, and spirits were still available. As I said, I'm not a big drinker but every once in a while a cold beer, maybe even two, tastes really good when it's 38 (100 F) +.

It was a today post that someone stated after a post someone said Surin had fallen. He said he lived just across the line in Buriram. Anyway even if it does happen just be prepared to have your blue moon hot day beer ready. KOME was the classic. KSAN sucked. 

Well, I can confirm the no alcohol sales in Buriram. Yesterday at Makro saw all the beer, wine, and whiskey taped off with the official announcement. As I said though, not being a big drinker anymore (did most of my heavy drinking in my late teens to late twenties) it's not too much of a bother.

I think the big reason for this is to prevent the social groupings that tend to accompany drinking; especially here in Thailand (doubly so for Isaan). Still, it would be nice to allow people to have a cold one on hand to help "cool off" while isolating at home.

Oh, and nice to see another ex-Bay Area resident. Listened to KOME and KSJO a lot in my youth. I especially liked Greg Stone's "StoneTrek" show of Progressive Rock, on KOME on Sunday evenings. Ahh, good memories.

13 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Well, I can confirm the no alcohol sales in Buriram. Yesterday at Makro saw all the beer, wine, and whiskey taped off with the official announcement. As I said though, not being a big drinker anymore (did most of my heavy drinking in my late teens to late twenties) it's not too much of a bother.

I think the big reason for this is to prevent the social groupings that tend to accompany drinking; especially here in Thailand (doubly so for Isaan). Still, it would be nice to allow people to have a cold one on hand to help "cool off" while isolating at home.

Oh, and nice to see another ex-Bay Area resident. Listened to KOME and KSJO a lot in my youth. I especially liked Greg Stone's "StoneTrek" show of Progressive Rock, on KOME on Sunday evenings. Ahh, good memories.

Yeah was KOME, KSJO and KFOG back in the day. Or even further back in way younger days was KFRC and Dr Don Rose. Flipped through all the stations. Yep Burlingame and San Mateo for me. 
So officially Buriram has fallen. Too bad. CM still up and running. But it can close if they want it to because I just stocked up with some nice wine, scotch and a few cases of beer. Only one thing on the list left to get but no hurry at this point. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Faulty logic. Deny the alcoholic his booze, and he'll therefore needlessly end up in the hospital with DT's.

Normally, FG, your posts are more than sane. This time I detect a hint of Mormonism -- should we now ban the purchase of coffee, since coffee houses, like pubs, are now forbidden? Just because the banning of where certain fruits are served, to prevent social gathering, is in effect -- should we thereby ban the fruits? No, if you want to go on a caffeine or booze high in your now-isolation at home -- why not? And if, while shopping for essentials in the supermarket, you can flip over from the milk aisle to the whisky and coffee aisles -- why not?

No, maybe there could be an argument that mom and pop booze stores, like barber shops, should be closed...... but I'm not sure what the argument could be, considering there are alternatives, like the aforementioned supermarkets.

Don't get too preachy. I normally enjoy your posts.

Why do you assume that everybody that wants a drink is an alcoholic? There are many people who will try to get a drink but very few who will end up in hospital with the DT’s

As can be seen on this thread there are many people who do not want a ban. I doubt that we will all end up in hospital.

Edited by Throatwobbler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

Wouldn't selling tobacco be far more dangerous?

Dangerous to the individual smoker, less so to the community.

And it's the community well-being that is the motivating issue behind the alcohol ban, not the drinking of it itself.

• Like 2

I heard somewhere in CM today had a restaurant with approx 10 foreigners sitting inside, no proper business license and they got caught. Now my idiotic thai neighbors last week had a little party in the back outside of their house for about 6-7 hours. 
Drinking is ok but not in a congregation. 

Seems my kids know everything way before I do so if they put out the word properly and hard on social media and then enforced it hard by arrests then there would not be these social gatherings. 

It’s not the alcohol, it’s the mentality and them needing to get the point and how sharp it is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I heard somewhere in CM today had a restaurant with approx 10 foreigners sitting inside, no proper business license and they got caught. Now my idiotic thai neighbors last week had a little party in the back outside of their house for about 6-7 hours. 
Drinking is ok but not in a congregation. 

Seems my kids know everything way before I do so if they put out the word properly and hard on social media and then enforced it hard by arrests then there would not be these social gatherings. 

It’s not the alcohol, it’s the mentality and them needing to get the point and how sharp it is. 

Did you report your neighbours?

1 hour ago, stament said:

Did you report your neighbours?

No because I don’t need an enemy living beside me. I just overlooked it and now they are staying at their parents for now. Not bad 30ish people just ignorant a bit. We don’t rent as we own so cannot just pick up everything and move. This place is until I die. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deej said:

Virtue Signalling again????

Can any virtuous act, or thought, or any description of a virtuous act, or thought, or any commentary on any virtuous act, or thought, or any description of a virtuous act, or thought ...

Not emit, or contain, a signal ?

~o:37;

59 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

No because I don’t need an enemy living beside me. I just overlooked it and now they are staying at their parents for now. Not bad 30ish people just ignorant a bit. We don’t rent as we own so cannot just pick up everything and move. This place is until I die. 

30 is a lot ????

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah was KOME, KSJO and KFOG back in the day. Or even further back in way younger days was KFRC and Dr Don Rose. Flipped through all the stations. Yep Burlingame and San Mateo for me. 
So officially Buriram has fallen. Too bad. CM still up and running. But it can close if they want it to because I just stocked up with some nice wine, scotch and a few cases of beer. Only one thing on the list left to get but no hurry at this point. 

Ha, I remember when KFOG was "elevator music", knew of KFRC and Don Rose but never listened to him. I was right down the road from you in Los Altos Hills/Palo Alto. (Change "Hank" to "Henry M." in my screen name and that's my high school alma mater. Just attended my 40th reunion last summer.)

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to stock up on beers before they stopped selling at Makro. But for me, no big deal as I'm not a big drinker and can wait a month or two before they lift the ban (hopefully ???? ). Heading out to the in-laws tomorrow so I might check to see if one of the country stores is still selling or not. If so, I may grab a case or two which for me should last more than a month.

• Like 1