So: face masks do help reduce infection

RocketDog

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Hong Kong scientists recently put it very succinctly: absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence.

The supposed lack of evidence is due to a lack of research. But countries where most people do wear face masks seem to be doing a better job of reducing infections than those where most people don't.

and  God  is real too, in fact anything you  want to believe without evidence is  true, we  should  all be in an isolation bubble 10 miles  apart dressed  in yellow singing kumbyaaaaa, lack of evidence doesnt mean this is  incorrect.......surely??

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

But countries where most people do wear face masks seem to be doing a better job of reducing infections than those where most people don't.

So you are taking one aspect of very complex Asian lifestyle and assuming that is the sole reason for lack of infection. Correlation does not imply causation.

There are a multitude of differences in Asian cultures that are experiencing less current infections that cultures that aren't. But you seem to be ignoring all other differences and focusing on the one thing that is front and centre.

By your logic I could declare that countries that eat the most short grain rice have the least infections. I could also declare that countries that consume the most olive oil per capita get the most virus - but I'd be wrong.

Why would I be wrong? Italy, Spain and America go through a metric crapload of olive oil and they have the most infections. How is that logic different to your logic on masks?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Yes, and in the unlikely scenario when you are in a 7-11 and someone sneezes who is infected, a mask may prevent the droplets from entering your respiratory system.  As I eluded to in another thread, even if a mask only helps 5% of the time, it is worth it, when near other people 

trouble is that their effluent also inundates the exposed facial skin. So don't forget to follow up surface disinfecting your noggin just before and again after removing the mask later on...

9 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Of course it helps. I already posted multiple studies that support that claim. Even the WHO and CDC are considering changing their guidelines after telling all the sheeps not to use a mask. 

"Widespread use of nonmedical masks could reduce community transmission. But recommending their broad use could also cause a run on the kind of masks that health care workers desperately need." 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

Your a Complete Fool, Not to wear one , I hate idiots and Fools 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Nothing to do with masks.

Pointless arguing about this anyway. People still claiming wearing the rubbish masks generally available in Thailand is a good thing

The problem is with Thailand, not the mask?

There's a reason doctors and nurses wear surgical masks during surgery. They prevent infection, principally to prevent infection of the patient's open wound but it stands to reason that if they prevent germs from a doctor's mouth getting out into a patient, then it likely will prevent germs in the other direction.

• Like 2

When I read posts, or hear comments, from persons who shun the wearing of face masks, and repeatedly try to defend the ignorance of their ill-informed stance, I am reminded of an oft-used quotation from my English teacher at Grammar school, "It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought a fool, than to open it, and remove all doubt"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Most sensible people in Bangkok have been wearing a mask for months, due to the PM2.5 pollution!  I feel naked if I go out without one.

were people wearing air tight masks with appropriate filters? follow the science not the herd.