So: face masks do help reduce infection

RocketDog

4 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

You had no idea they were or are lying. That is your pure bias. If It wasn't bias you would give facts to back your statement.

If You’re Going to Wear a Mask, Make It One of These

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/going-wear-mask-one-173709998.html

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-makes-worlds-best-face-070000734.html

On 4/2/2020 at 4:46 AM, Farangwithaplan said:

So if you aren't listening to the science of masks, are you listening to amateurs who came up with the studies you refuse to link to?

Wear a mask if you are sick or have a pimple. If not, don't.

On the radio today a person that is supposedly an expert or government official ( I missed the start ) said that wearing a mask was MORE LIKELY to cause an infection because people were more likely to touch their face wearing one.

If one wants to wear one, one should also wear eye protection as a virus is as likely to enter through the eye as the nose, and resist touching their face.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Well said. That is exactly the reason to wear a mask whether one agrees or not that it a health benefit. I was going out without a mask per WHO guidelines (which actually might be wrong) until I sensed few days ago I was making people uncomfortable. 

So got a 35b. mask right away and wear it now. Hardly a burden to mask up for the occasional foray outside.

Had I worn a mask at the supermarket last week I'd have been the odd one out. Most other people there were obviously aware that wearing a mask will not stop one becoming infected. I had taken one just in case, but it wasn't necessary.

The few people that were wearing one were not wearing goggles which negated any benefit the mask might have given them.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On the radio today a person that is supposedly an expert or government official ( I missed the start ) said that wearing a mask was MORE LIKELY to cause an infection because people were more likely to touch their face wearing one.

If one wants to wear one, one should also wear eye protection as a virus is as likely to enter through the eye as the nose, and resist touching their face.

Face shield below is used for health workers but goggles or even sun glasses could prevent droplets from hitting your eyes. Notice the face shield only blocks direct sprays its not sealed at sides or bottom. 

BB1274TC.jpg

Professor Lee for Spectator: “Imagine a birthday balloon. A virus is smaller than this by roughly the same amount that the balloon is smaller than the earth. Just think about that for a moment: balloon, earth; virus, balloon.” No wonder some think face masks marginal.

GM turns gutted, shuttered Warren plant into face mask supplier

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/gm-turns-gutted-shuttered-warren-plant-into-face-mask-supplier/ar-BB11Y2hK?li=BBnbfcN

*** In the article above GM is making level 1 masks first  "to protect workers, delivery drivers EMT's" later will make surgical masks which are a higher level to "protect" Dr's nurses.

Coronavirus might spread much farther than 6 feet in the air. CDC says wear a mask in public.

CDC underestimated at first how long the droplets could remain in the air and how far they could travel, now that they know  they say wear a mask.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/coronavirus-might-spread-much-farther-than-6-feet-in-the-air-cdc-says-wear-a-mask-in-public/ar-BB1297Jm?li=BBnba9O

On 4/2/2020 at 8:16 AM, Skallywag said:

Yes, and in the unlikely scenario when you are in a 7-11 and someone sneezes who is infected, a mask may prevent the droplets from entering your respiratory system.  As I eluded to in another thread, even if a mask only helps 5% of the time, it is worth it, when near other people 

Topic......So face masks do help reduce infection.

And the CDC now advises covering the nose and mouth area with a bandanna or homemade mask, but along came the stable genius and said, “This is voluntary, I don’t think I’m gonna’ be doing it.”

Good leadership or stupidity.........make your own mind up.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Had I worn a mask at the supermarket last week I'd have been the odd one out. Most other people there were obviously aware that wearing a mask will not stop one becoming infected. I had taken one just in case, but it wasn't necessary.

The few people that were wearing one were not wearing goggles which negated any benefit the mask might have given them.

I didn’t wear my seatbelt while driving the other day, no one else was wearing one, I didn’t want to be the ‘odd one out’ !!!

[The few people that were wearing one were not wearing goggles which negated any benefit the mask might have given them] - VERY VERY VERY WRONG: The mask prevents YOU from spreading the virus if you are an unwitting carrier, wearing googles make no difference in preventing your aerosol from spraying out when you cough or sneeze etc... 

Doesn’t everyone know this by now? 

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I didn’t wear my seatbelt while driving the other day, no one else was wearing one, I didn’t want to be the ‘odd one out’ !!!

[The few people that were wearing one were not wearing goggles which negated any benefit the mask might have given them] - VERY VERY VERY WRONG: The mask prevents YOU from spreading the virus if you are an unwitting carrier, wearing googles make no difference in preventing your aerosol from spraying out when you cough or sneeze etc... 

Tigers in NYC Zoo get Covid19 from keeper----save the Tigers  ( or your pet) wear a mask

https://www.the-sun.com/news/641241/tiger-coronavirus-new-york-bronx-zoo/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly

On 4/5/2020 at 2:29 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Doesn't everyone also know that "I don't have any symptoms" does not mean one doesn't have the virus and is spreading it.

On 4/5/2020 at 1:54 PM, jayboy said:

Professor Lee for Spectator: “Imagine a birthday balloon. A virus is smaller than this by roughly the same amount that the balloon is smaller than the earth. Just think about that for a moment: balloon, earth; virus, balloon.” No wonder some think face masks marginal.

The actual danger from wearing masks as I understand it is that people are MORE likely to touch their face while wearing one. The virus enters through the nose or the eyes.

Where masks are useful is preventing infected droplets traveling through the air, but if one is sneezing or coughing a lot, one shouldn't be in public anyway.

On 4/5/2020 at 7:29 PM, richard_smith237 said:

If anyone is coughing or sneezing they should not be going out in public. Doesn't everyone know this by now?

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:12 PM, Farangwithaplan said:

And where are the facts to back up your statement?

How do you sanitize yourself after you touch the mask? How are you disposing of the mask and how often are you changing the mask?

where is the evidence that its harmful?

it blocks access to your nose and mouth via your hands. you can take it off without touching your nose or mouth.

better then nothing.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone is coughing or sneezing they should not be going out in public. Doesn't everyone know this by now?

This virus can be shed for 4-5 days before one shows symptoms. This is one of the reasons it is now recommended to wear masks even if one *thinks* they are not infected. If course, the mask needs to be used properly and disposed of (or washed, if it is a washable one). 

8 hours ago, DavisH said:

This virus can be shed for 4-5 days before one shows symptoms. This is one of the reasons it is now recommended to wear masks even if one *thinks* they are not infected. If course, the mask needs to be used properly and disposed of (or washed, if it is a washable one). 

Not only is the virus shed up to 5 days or longer before any symptoms shown, you can also expect 20-30% of the infected to be totally or partly asymptomatic.

https://www.dw.com/en/up-to-30-of-coronavirus-cases-asymptomatic/a-52900988

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

If not coughing or sneezing and stay away from others how exactly will one be infecting others by not wearing a mask?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fhickson said:

where is the evidence that its harmful?

it blocks access to your nose and mouth via your hands. you can take it off without touching your nose or mouth.

better then nothing.

It doesn't block access to your eyes, and that, IMO, is how most people will contract the disease, when they get the virus on their hands, and rub/ wipe their eyes- something most of us do, often without even thinking about it.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If not coughing or sneezing and stay away from others how exactly will one be infecting others by not wearing a mask?

Japanese  Doctors say the virus can also be transmitted by simply talking or breathing close to someone.

If your worried about infection thru the eyes wear eye/sun glasses or clear safety goggles

Plus a Thai FB page has recomended that Thai attack farangs who refuse to wear masks.

And in Phuket you must wear a mask or face up to 20,000 baht fine

•  

Edited by Tony125

Science on the march. 

Yes, the Asians were right (helped along by a culture that has been cool with masks in general anyway).

The westerners were wrong.

We all MUST wear masks or face coverings. Don't fight it.

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, Farangwithaplan said:

So if you aren't listening to the science of masks, are you listening to amateurs who came up with the studies you refuse to link to?

Wear a mask if you are sick or have a pimple. If not, don't.

You forgot to mention to wear a mask if it is Halloween, or if you are robbing a bank.

On 4/7/2020 at 1:15 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It doesn't block access to your eyes, and that, IMO, is how most people will contract the disease, when they get the virus on their hands, and rub/ wipe their eyes- something most of us do, often without even thinking about it.

true, but its better to have your nose and mouth covered and your eyes uncovered, then to have all three uncovered.

if your wearing a facial shield, its still better to have a mask on then to not have one on.

Edited by fhickson

5 hours ago, fhickson said:

true, but its better to have your nose and mouth covered and your eyes uncovered, then to have all three uncovered.

if your wearing a facial shield, its still better to have a mask on then to not have one on.

The cloth and surgical masks do NOT block this virus. The reason to wear them is that they do block sprays/droplets of the person wearing it. The reason to wear them is for OTHER people and if everyone does wear them, yes all of the public is better protected. But the huge downside of the mask thing that I see especially in Thailand is the public is clearly largely ignorant about the real uses of the masks. Social distancing is actually more important for SELF protection. So people wear the masks and think they can carry on as normal.

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

Name places in Jomtien, pratumnak, Naklua, khoa Talo where they can be purchased...I think that's the problem, they are just not easily available and haven't been for 6 weeks...I'm more worried about people...Thais especially that touched my trolley in Makro for no reason and come right close to you at any 7/11....

Not in Pattaya right now but although the malls ( in BKK) are closed the supermarkets/pharmacies and restaurants are open inside for take away and every one I have been to have vendors outside selling home made or even N95 or surgical masks as well as hand sanitizer or alcohol spray. Tesco Lotus Changwatena BKK had home made masks for sale when they ran out of surgical masks and a Pharmacy inside had many different size hand sanitizers and alcohol sprays. Open your eyes and look around.

Plus  the guidlines state some type of mask , doesn't have to be N95/surgical masks can be home made , bandana, ect. Plenty of vids on YouTube stating how to make a mask with or without seewing skils

9f91ac559a910378690fa56b12dedde2.jpg

On 4/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, Tony125 said:

Japanese  Doctors say the virus can also be transmitted by simply talking or breathing close to someone.

If your worried about infection thru the eyes wear eye/sun glasses or clear safety goggles

Plus a Thai FB page has recomended that Thai attack farangs who refuse to wear masks.

And in Phuket you must wear a mask or face up to 20,000 baht fine

•  

Did you miss the part where I said "stay away from others"? Theatre staff wear masks to stop droplet infection of patients, not because they are afraid of the patient infecting them, but they work up close and personal with patients. It's difficult to use a scalpel from 2 meters away. I worked with some surgeons that only covered their mouths.

If your worried about infection thru the eyes wear eye/sun glasses

Sorry, but airborne viruses blow around in the air and can "float" in from the side of glasses, which is why medical staff wear goggles or face shields, not glasses alone.

a Thai FB page has recomended that Thai attack farangs who refuse to wear masks.

People act irrationally when they are fearful. There are a lot of people out there trying to make people afraid and succeeding.

in Phuket you must wear a mask or face up to 20,000 baht fine

As good a reason to wear one as any. I hope they ain't charging $10 for one mask though, which is what a local pharmacy was selling them for in NZ.