So: face masks do help reduce infection

RocketDog

On 7/26/2020 at 5:33 PM, geriatrickid said:

Mandatory mask wearing only took effect on July 15 after the increase in infections. 

So what? People in Asia often do, and especially in Hong Kong and since January have been wearing masks voluntarily.

A new wave has come despite that, therefore masks are of little to no help. Placebo.

19 minutes ago, dastakantattaka said:

So what? People in Asia often do, and especially in Hong Kong and since January have been wearing masks voluntarily.

A new wave has come despite that, therefore masks are of little to no help. Placebo.

People are still killed in road accidents, therefore seatbelts are of little to no help.

Placebo.

The question is "How much worse would it have been with no one wearing masks".

Science.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dastakantattaka said:

The world is not dead yet, therefore, masks prevented a catastrophe.

-- with equal or greater scientific rigor than your argument.

• Confused 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:34 PM, Ketyo said:

In fact I can add some evidence to this debate.

Since my minimart requires shoppers to wear a mask I do it.

Last week I sneezed with the mask on. 

I can confirm that the snot that comes out gets captured by the mask. If you push the mask to your face after that, your face will get covered in snot.

This means that the person in front of you gets less snot on them.

Where is my nobel prize for science?

Yes. This "argument" is about as compelling as what makes more of a mess? Baby in car seat taking a dump with diaper, or baby in car seat taking a dump without diaper. 

These are very tough mind experiments for some. 

Sneezed with a mask on and it helped to spread the virus

funny and too simplictic argument  that doesn't prove anything.

I've seen people who even with a mask on, when they're sneezing, they're taking it out, only to sneeze more easy.

And people who even without a mask, would sneeze in a napkin or cover their nose with shoulder or handkerchief.

Edited by dastakantattaka

• 2 weeks later...

Face masks with valves or vents do not prevent spread of coronavirus, CDC says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/face-masks-with-valves-or-vents-do-not-prevent-spread-of-coronavirus-cdc-says/ar-BB17UZLr?li=BBnb7Kz

So basically a mask with valves can prevent you from getting virus as it does not let unfilltered air in but does not prevent someone who has virus from spreading it as it lets virus out thru the valve.

Like everything about covid, very easy to post studies supporting or ridiculing. Thing about studies, find out who paid for it directly or indirectly, then see if you still believe it. It is very easy for those with the dollars to get a study proving anything.