Dengue Fever Thailand 2019

Jim Morrison

From first 6 months just last year....." The Department of Disease Control on Friday announced a dengue haemorrhagic fever epidemic this year as there have been 28,785 patients, 43 of whom died.

Dr Preecha Prempree, deputy director-general of the department, said that the figures were from Jan 1 to June 11, when the number of patients doubled the five-year average".............   just a perspective I found. This was just the first 6 months of last year...I've been in Thailand 22 years and got this in Phuket, very miserable!...Regarding COVID19 I believe the total infections 1,700 and 12 deaths I hope the Thai govt. does'nt over react from pressure from WHO...https://www.thailandnews.co/2019/06/dengue-fever-epidemic-declared/

• Thanks 1

As many tourist facilities (hotels, vacation homes, restaurants, bars, cafes, cultural centers etc) are now unmanned, most maintenance has stopped, including the elimination of stagnant water, and the use of insecticide to manage mosquito numbers in drains etc. This increases the number of mosquitoes that could potentially carry Dengue.

This effect will be exacerbated if there is a general shutdown.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

I was only posting 2019 dengue fever as an epidemic from last year as a perspective of the 24/7 news panic of today on COVID19....Right now Singapore has 4,000 test positive for dengue fever and some may die, but I doubt they will shut down the country over this epidemic...My hope is the panic that other countries report as the biggest! problem, will be kept in perspective rather than shut down the country and destroy Thailand for a very long time..Singapore data :MAR 22, 2020, 2:49 PM SGT           MAR 22, 2020, 2:49 P

SINGAPORE - More than 4,000 people in Singapore have been infected with dengue fever this year - double the number of cases reported for the same period in 2019.

• Like 1