British Airways expected to suspend 36,000 staff: BBC

webfact

British Airways expected to suspend 36,000 staff: BBC

2020-04-01T231543Z_1_LYNXMPEG30530_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

British Airways planes are seen parked at Bournemouth Airport, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, Bournemouth, Britain, April 1, 2020. REUTERS/Paul Childs

(Reuters) - IAG-owned British Airways <ICAG.L> is expected to announce suspension of about 36,000 of its employees, BBC News reported on Wednesday.

The airline has reached a broad deal with Unite union that will include suspension of jobs of 80% of BA's cabin crew, ground staff, engineers and those working at head office, the news agency reported, adding that no staff were expected to be made redundant.

BA on Tuesday said it was temporarily suspending flights from Gatwick Airport in southern England, Britain's second busiest airport, due to the coronavirus.

(Reporting by Rebekah Mathew in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-02

17 minutes ago, Libai said:

The way I read this in the London Times is that BA staff will receive 80% of their wages up to a maximum of £2,500.00 per month.

That is the government Job Retention Scheme where employees are "furloughed" and as far as I understand it is only agreement in principle with the union. Easyjet on the other hand I believe has already an agreement in place with the union on the same arrangement.

Staff are being asked to work at the emergency hospitals.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-airlines-nhs-volunteers-staff-easyjet-virgin-atlantic-nightingale-hospital-a9433221.html

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

another casualty ..... this will take years and years to recover to normal again.  imo

Hopefully Ba will never recover ,a Spanish owned company carrying  British name , and one of the worst Airlines in the world

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Hopefully Ba will never recover ,a Spanish owned company carrying  British name , and one of the worst Airlines in the world

just saw it on 1300 news BA is laying off 80% of its staff,lucky they had union representation.

Edited by kingdong

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Just some news ... Virgin ( budget in Australia )  - a subsidiary of Qantas I believe is asking the government for $1.4 billion dollars to stay afloat and the Australian government has tentatively said no !!

Perhaps branson will bail them out,must be worth a few bob as he dosen,t pay any tax.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Just some news ... Virgin ( budget in Australia )  - a subsidiary of Qantas I believe is asking the government for $1.4 billion dollars to stay afloat and the Australian government has tentatively said no !!

Wrong again Virgin is not subsidiary of Qantas Jetstar is and Tiger is a subsidiary of Virgin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

Wrong again Virgin is not subsidiary of Qantas Jetstar is and Tiger is a subsidiary of Virgin.

I do not care what you say. Your childish attitude is sufficient to ascertain your intelligence. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I do not care what you say. Your childish attitude is sufficient to ascertain your intelligence. 

Well you better read this

Mr Scurrah has come out strongly to defend his airline, which is 90 per cent owned by foreign airlines

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport/virgin-boss-warns-of-qantas-monopoly-in-event-of-collapse-20200402-p54gb6