U.S. Navy does not rule out punishing captain who criticized coronavirus response

webfact

Aircraft carrier captain removed from duty after pleading for help with coronavirus outbreak

The captain of an aircraft carrier struggling with a coronavirus outbreak has been relieved from command after a letter he penned pleading for help leaked to the media.

Capt. Brett Crozier was relieved from command of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly announced Thursday.

Crozier wrote a letter to Navy leaders that was obtained and published by the San Francisco Chronicle on Tuesday, in which he warned of dire consequences if most of the sailors on Roosevelt aren’t evacuated.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/490892-aircraft-carrier-captain-to-be-removed-from-duty-after-pleading-for-help-with

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And in this day and age, standing up for your people, demonstrating honor and integrity, speaking the truth, calling out incompetence or dereliction of duty is considered a terrible thing, to be avoided at all costs, by the increasingly thin skinned guys in power, who seem to abhor truth, honesty and transparency.

Someone doesn't understand how one gives up many civil rights when they join the military.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

The question that needed to be asked is how this virus find its way to ships on the high seas like warships and dozens of cruising boats seemingly isolated from land's investments? was it some kind of time delayed trojan horse virus?...

Depends on when it was last in port, when where they last had shore leave.

Has it been at sea since since december 2019? 

More important who leaked the contents of the letter?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Probably someone who felt that sailors should die in war and not because the brass on Washington want to curry favor with you know who 

This is why we have a civilian controlled military, so we can get information freely and if we don't, we have patriots who will get it for us

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's right, we saw this happen in China with Doctors who dared to speak up.

Lets hope the US doesn't choose the same road as the Chinese government - I expect that they will though, they will punish the guy who spoke out, they won't be able to help themselves.

However this is handled in the short term, the facts will eventually out in this case.  History will not be kind to the current administration and their "Class of 86 mafia."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tug said:

Sir with all due respect to rise to command of a nuclear aircraft carrier with the awesome terrifying responsibility that goes with it you can rest assured that man has been well and truly vetted the slightest blemish on his navel career would have disqualified him he imo showed the true qualities of a good captain in his responsibility to his crew and yes he did ruin his career but as a good captain he put his crew first.With the present vindictive leadership in the White House it wouldent surprise me if he is punished in some way 

career over.  he has been relieved.

reasons given: he sent an unclassified memo cc'd to too many people resulting in a leak to the media.

https://apnews.com/5506d2d5fae6b1d3a8430ead966f21d8

I am disappointed in Captain Crozier from a leadership standpoint.  It sounds like he is panicking.  I could be wrong on this perspective.  But I thought a Captain in the Navy would display calm and steady leadership in times of crisis. The Covid 19 Pandemic is not your typical military type response mission.  Fox News(sometimes they are wrong) reported that the San Francisco Examiner got a copy of the Captains’ memo.  Also, not that it is related but Captain Crozier’s hometown is San Francisco(Coincidence?  Maybe, Maybe not).  

Either way now that the Captain has been removed from his command of the Aircraft Carrier he can apply for retirement or he can fight it?  One Congressman is already calling for a Congressional Committee to investigate this.  

Just now, Tug said:

Yea trump will go out of his way to protect a guy who broke the rules but a guy who protects the crew under his command gets canned I think most of us know who needs to get canned I think most of us know who showed the quality’s and courage of a commander 

It all depends on if the Captain was the one who released his letter to the public. There are rules in the military. Do you have some information on this that the rest of us don't have?

5 hours ago, bartolo57 said:

Looks like he was popular with his crew. 

Commanding a combat ship that has the firepower of many entire countries is not a popularity contest.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

This would be the perfect time for China to invade and occupy the USA.

What is China waiting for? It will never be more perfect than this.

I guess they're waiting for a politico-military genius such as yourself to convince them to take advantage of the opportunity.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Logosone said:

What is China waiting for? It will never be more perfect than this.

Henry Guisan. Remember him. If you figure that there are 20 million American civilians with ARs, lets meet them on the beaches of LA! Wolverines!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Commanding a combat ship that has the firepower of many entire countries is not a popularity contest.

No it is not a popularity contest it takes a leader who has the courage to do what’s best for his ship and crew and in captain Crozier case he’s also a carrier qualified fighter pilot kudos captain a fine example of leadership kudos sir

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

No it is not a popularity contest it takes a leader who has the courage to do what’s best for his ship and crew and in captain Crozier case he’s also a carrier qualified fighter pilot kudos captain a fine example of leadership kudos sir

You dont know the guy. You dont know what his leadership ratings were. You dont know all the circumstances of this incident.  Being a qualified pilot is one thing. Being prepared, as a leader, to lead your men into combat knowing that many of them will die, means you need to make hard decisions. Preparing for those moments means you may take actions that would make you unpopular. The servicemen under you dont need to like you, they need to follow your instructions exactly.

You are taking a side in this because your of your hatred of our President. Basicaly, with absolutely no knowledge of the circumstances of this incident other than what you read in the papers and with little understanding of the essence of military leadership, you use this incident as just another excuse to amuse yourself and please the echo chamber with the sameoldsameold. Im surprised you havent claimed tht Putin caused the Cap to be fired.

I will give you credit, at least you keep your hate for Trump supporters a little quieter now, probably because I and others called you out on it. 

On 4/3/2020 at 6:19 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Depends on when it was last in port, when where they last had shore leave.

Has it been at sea since since december 2019? 

port call in vietnam.

you can google the details.  i think it was danang, while there were active cases at the time in hanoi.  from press release photos at the dock, there were no social distancing rules being enforced.  article did say sailors were tested before reboarding.  i assume that was a simple temperature check, as am unaware of any test kits being available on-board.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

from press release photos at the dock, there were no social distancing rules being enforced. 

Whos responsibility was that I wonder?

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Whos responsibility was that I wonder?

don't know the details, and it was so long ago.  march 9th?  that's an eternity given the changing circumstances.  i'm sure there were discussions, but weren't we usa'ers still saying it's just a flu, and masks are useless?  there is a possibility (in my imagination) he could have requested thru chain-of-command to put off the port call or instituted stricter measures, but for political reasons was not allowed to. 

only thing that matters at this point is his response to the virus on board.  aircraft carrier captains and boomer commanders are like gods.  they have the power to destroy nations and are allowed no leeway.  if he panicked and jumped the chain of command, sent unclassified memos with multiple cc's, then he's lost the trust and confidence of his superiors.  they would see him as no longer fit to command, regardless of public pronouncements.

question is, what will trump do?  will he let the military handle this, or will he follow the political winds and interfere, as he has done with people convicted or accused of war crimes?  will he force the navy to reinstate a captain they may no longer believe is capable of running a carrier task force?

On 4/2/2020 at 7:53 AM, ezzra said:

The question that needed to be asked is how this virus find its way to ships on the high seas like warships and dozens of cruising boats seemingly isolated from land's investments? was it some kind of time delayed trojan horse virus?...

That's pretty much why it is so infectious. 

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

You dont know the guy. You dont know what his leadership ratings were. You dont know all the circumstances of this incident.  <SNIP>

I will give you credit, at least you keep your hate for Trump supporters a little quieter now, probably because I and others called you out on it. 

re your first paragraph - nor do you, yet in another of your posts you called him out for failed leadership.

Second paragraph - you've got to be joking,

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1