U.S. Navy does not rule out punishing captain who criticized coronavirus response

webfact

1 hour ago, dananderson said:

Veterans have not forgotten the multiple deferments used by this commander in chief to evade service.  Make no mistake this was his decision.  Only those caught up in his cult of personality will try and defend this lack of leadership. This alone will cost him the support of the military and much more.   

I'm a veteran and I couldn't care less.

Acting Navy Secretary Apologizes for Remarks to Crew of USS Roosevelt
Thomas Modly takes back his tough talk about fired Capt. Brett Crozier

n an about face, acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly apologized Monday night for his profanity-tinged remarks over the loudspeakers of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, in which he called the aircraft carrier’s former commander stupid or naive for writing and distributing a memo about a coronavirus outbreak.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:29 AM, tropo said:

Yes, it's a machine. They are not paid to give their opinions, but to do a job. This reminds me of the Vindman brothers' removal from the White House after one brother gave his opinions on Trump at the impeachment trial.

This is incoherent. Apart from the dubious merits of the case against one Vindman brother, is there any evidence that the other had taken any action regarding the phone conversation? Apparently in your world and the worlds of those who endorsed your post, it's an offense to be related to someone. 

Edited by bristolboy

11 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

I'm a veteran and I couldn't care less.

31 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Thank you for your service 

25 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So maybe "Provisional thanks for your alleged service?"

It's called sarcasm people 

Just now, Langsuan Man said:

It's called sarcasm people 

Not at all obvious from your comment. Now if you had written "Thank you for your alleged service", then it would have been evident. Lots of people in this forum reflexively salute members when they claim to be veterans.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

This is incoherent. Apart from the dubious merits of the case against one Vindman brother, is there any evidence that the other had taken any action regarding the phone conversation? Apparently in your world and the worlds of those who endorsed your post, it's an offense to be related to someone. 

I should have eased your burden and not included Vindman's identical twin brother. I apologize for that.

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

At least you could have accepted my apology LOL.

I thought I was being atypically gracious by suggesting that it was another party who should be doing the apologizing. Unless you really are Donald Trump? But no, you acknowledged an error. So you can't be.

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I thought I was being atypically gracious by suggesting that it was another party who should be doing the apologizing. Unless you really are Donald Trump? But no, you acknowledged an error. So you can't be.

A like would have been sufficient. ????

At the time I wrote that "incoherent post" I did actually consider someone might take it the wrong way. Shame on me!

Edited by tropo

• 3 weeks later...

Navy Recommends Reinstating Ousted Captain Of USS Roosevelt

In what could amount to a stunning about-face for the Pentagon, congressional sources have confirmed to NPR that top Navy leaders have recommended that Capt. Brett Crozier be put back in command of the coronavirus-plagued aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt.

Adm. Michael Gilday, the Navy's top officer, is reported by The Associated Press to have met with Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley on Tuesday and with Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Friday to recommend the fired captain's reinstatement.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/24/844682927/navy-recommends-reinstating-ousted-captain-of-uss-roosevelt

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Navy Recommends Reinstating Ousted Captain Of USS Roosevelt

In what could amount to a stunning about-face for the Pentagon, congressional sources have confirmed to NPR that top Navy leaders have recommended that Capt. Brett Crozier be put back in command of the coronavirus-plagued aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt.

Adm. Michael Gilday, the Navy's top officer, is reported by The Associated Press to have met with Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley on Tuesday and with Defense Secretary Mark Esper on Friday to recommend the fired captain's reinstatement.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/24/844682927/navy-recommends-reinstating-ousted-captain-of-uss-roosevelt

After watching his press conference at the time I think it was Trump himself who gave the direction to fire the good captain.  Of course he should be reinstated and given a medal, but that may have to wait for President Biden to award. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pegman said:

After watching his press conference at the time I think it was Trump himself who gave the direction to fire the good captain.  Of course he should be reinstated and given a medal, but that may have to wait for President Biden to award. 

This is the first I ever heard that Trump had any active role in this.  Got any sources?

1 hour ago, jimmybcool said:

This is the first I ever heard that Trump had any active role in this.  Got any sources?

Former Secretary of the Navy, Modly, was said to have been trying to satisfy the president by firing Captain Brett Crozier.

Modly said that Trump, referring to Crozier, "wants him fired," the colleague said, according to The Post. The remark was allegedly made on Wednesday, one day after The Chronicle published the contents of the letter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-wanted-to-fired-the-us-navy-captain-brett-crozier-2020-4

trump probably vented to esper who vented to modly, would be my guess. Not the first time, nor the last time, someone in this administration will get left out to fry. trump has a way of getting minions to do crazy stuff, without saying any incrininating words.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Former Secretary of the Navy, Modly, was said to have been trying to satisfy the president by firing Captain Brett Crozier.

Modly said that Trump, referring to Crozier, "wants him fired," the colleague said, according to The Post. The remark was allegedly made on Wednesday, one day after The Chronicle published the contents of the letter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-wanted-to-fired-the-us-navy-captain-brett-crozier-2020-4

trump probably vented to esper who vented to modly, would be my guess. Not the first time, nor the last time, someone in this administration will get left out to fry. trump has a way of getting minions to do crazy stuff, without saying any incrininating words.

OK so hearsay.  I wouldn't be shocked if Trump said it but would be surprised if it was public