BANGKOK
Liverpoolfan

Fear Vs Reality (Covid-19)

9 hours ago, transam said:

This virus is a little different, in that you only need the slightest contact with it to go down, hence the pandemic... 

A pandemic is when there is a new strain of a virus that is different enough from other strains that no one has immunity to it.

Posted (edited)

For those who like to make comparisons, the drop-down menu on this site seems to cover them all:

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/influenza-pneumonia/by-country/

Note that Thailand is high for deaths by fire and lung disease. Especially Northern Thailand I would suggest; hint to the those who aren't fulfilling their responsibilities.

Edited by Caspersfriend
Later addition

I swear if I hear Flu and Virus talk anymore I sm going to go Mental , it’s not the flu you ignorant trolls 

• Thanks 1

I fear government reactions to this more than the virus.

Up to a billion people in the world get influenza each year and about 500,000 of them die from it.  This has been going on forever.  We have never freaked out about or intentionally destroyed our economies because of it.  This new strain is just going to become part of that statistic.  The death rate is about the same as other strains.

A couple of good links below:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278149/?fbclid=IwAR3Y3XsHOa6TscwkLKOvrpf_CCCb3waL5bXN7o_FLez3YrSqHxWkrhaCPSs

https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/coronavirus-fatality-rate-or-death-percentage-the-most-accurate-estimate-817752/?fbclid=IwAR1KGgCpm9Z-XV6fak8X5klDInlZR4x4FISJRQygtBU21t7V98_fZ3BvtiY

1 minute ago, rwill said:

I fear government reactions to this more than the virus.

Same here, but unfortunately the damage is done already, we are more likely to survive the flu than what is coming next.

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Same here, but unfortunately the damage is done already, we are more likely to survive the flu than what is coming next.

What do you think is coming next mate?

14 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I swear if I hear Flu and Virus talk anymore I sm going to go Mental , it’s not the flu you ignorant trolls 

Yes they are different viruses.  Even "the flu" is several different viruses.  But they are all viruses that cause respiratory problems.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

1 minute ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Poverty, hunger, mental illness to name a few.

Reported conspiracy post removed.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

500+ deaths in a single day in the UK, that sounds alot more serious than "the flu" to me.

The speed from infection to death in some cases is truly scary.

A normal days deaths would be about 1600.

Without knowing how many are also dying daily without COVID it's impossible to say how much greater is the danger.

Most of those in the COVID statistics are dying because it has brought forward something (they have underlying conditions or/and are elderly) that was likely to happen to them this year anyway.

The reason for all the effort is to stop the NHS being overwhelmed and broken by a years deaths in the space of a few weeks.

(Do nothing estimate with 80% infection = 500,000 deaths)

It would be an infrastructural and societally undermining catastrophe.

It would be as if all the British deaths in WW1 had occurred over the course of about 6 months.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its a serious disease that is no more serious than any other of its ilk (flu) that spreads in densely populated areas and kills off the old, every year.

But it is also a political excersize, especially in the USA and its relations with China that folks can see unfolding about them. Thats where the fear and angst and hype come from.

In essense, its the first shot in a new Cold War. China fired up.

You may be right. Soft power vs. hard power. It will be interesting to see if the US and its allies can make boycotts stick, because IMO that will be the next shot.

evidently some do better than others after contracting the virus.  finding the answer to this is will give us insight into how the virus works and who is more vulnerable

Seems to me a lot of the very high levels of hysteria have to do with how the words virus or epidemic has been weaponized for decades by its use with ebola, HIV, small pox, dengue, malaria etc. What is missing all the time from much mention of COVID19 is to consider what would likely happen if one got the virus oneself. As has been pointed out according one study over half are asymptomatic and those who get it at worst get pneumonia-like symptoms and survive. I find it rather damning that there are almost no reports of how the original epidemiologist at Imperial College in the UK who announced the huge numbers of who would die from COVID19 has back pedalled and drastically dropped the numbers. Another important academic at Oxford sounded rather outraged that they ran with something as inconclusive and open to discussion as the original declarations of millions of deaths. https://www.dailywire.com/news/epidemiologist-behind-highly-cited-coronavirus-model-admits-he-was-wrong-drastically-revises-model

22 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Ebola mutated into airborne transmission.

There's nothing new about this.

Such events have been anticipated and planned for for many years.

But nobody, globally, was "in charge".

So some countries got it as "right" as was possible..........others didn't.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Its a serious disease that is no more serious than any other of its ilk (flu) that spreads in densely populated areas and kills off the old, every year.

But it is also a political excersize, especially in the USA and its relations with China that folks can see unfolding about them. Thats where the fear and angst and hype come from.

In essense, its the first shot in a new Cold War. China fired up. 

Every legitimate statistic on this virus shows it is currently many times more deadly than the flu. You have to completely ignore facts and reality to think otherwise.

• Like 1