Fear Vs Reality (Covid-19)

WineOh

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

No, it's not the case that SARS Cov2 (Covid19 is the illness) mutates rapidly. They've found quite the opposite actually, that SARS Cov2 mutates very little, as indeed is the case generally with coronaviruses when compared to influenza viruses. The Chinese study that suggested that Italy and Spain got a more virulent strain has been shown to be faulty, inaccurate and unreliable.

Also your mortality figures are completely false.

That is probably why you, falsely, think that the SARS Cov2 pandemic is more dangerous than past flu pandemics which is of course not the case. The flu pandemics had significantly higher mortality rates.

Thank you for posting some accuracy and logic instead of emotional blather

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although any death is tragic I'm starting to ask myself where are the bodies (Not meaning to be morbid) 

But close to zero personal social media stories, pics, accounts of actual funerals or alike. 

I'm not saying it's not happening but something doesn't add up to me I guess time will tell. 

12 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

It's not about who to blame, really the world as a whole needs to find a solution.

No, its about blame too. China lied, people died. More victims of communism. The world needs to wake up and treat this like it is, the first shot in a war, albiet not a hot one yet. 

4 hours ago, Sharp said:

Although any death is tragic I'm starting to ask myself where are the bodies (Not meaning to be morbid) 

But close to zero personal social media stories, pics, accounts of actual funerals or alike. 

I'm not saying it's not happening but something doesn't add up to me I guess time will tell. 

Oh please, conspiricy man maybe one state or even country could fake news of a pandemic or terrorist attack but how do you get hundreds of countries to report Pandemic deaths from Covid19. They are not sending  reporters to take photos of dead bodies (too morbid) and in many places you cannot even attend a funeral as they don't want to spread the disese. Have seen photos from local US news of a boy being buried by men in hazmat suits, they wouldn't even let  his mother attend.

It is the potential for death which is frightening. In the UK, in one month from the first death we now have 5,000. at that exponential death rate, you could have half the country dead by May, if it continued. Obviously it will  not happen, as you will run out of people to infect and not everybody dies. The control measures are also slowing it down. But by the end of April there will be over 20,000 dead, and it will not be fully controlled until at least June. what is the actual death rate? Seems to vary a lot between countries, but you can only count that once the epidemic is over (some of those currently infected will die). But if we take China as an example, death rate was 4% of those known to be infected. In Italy, currently over 10%. There are over 50,000 dead in Europe so far - nearly all in the last month.

Have to remember that most of the world has not caught it yet, and most of those are in under developed countries who cannot fight it once it takes hold in their countries. Final death toll will not be much different to Spanish flu, globally.

On 4/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, CharlieH said:

500+ deaths in a single day in the UK, that sounds alot more serious than "the flu" to me.

The speed from infection to death in some cases is truly scary.

Not sure. 2008-2009 there were 13,000 deaths in the UK alone related to the flu.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:01 AM, KhaoYai said:

That viewpoint is rapidly diminishing. Your reality is wrong in fact, otherwise healthy people are dying here in the UK. The deaths of 2 nurses on the frontline of the fight against this disease were announced today, yesterday a 13 year old and a 19 year old - I believe they were both previously in good health. There are many more - those are just the ones that made the headlines...

Not true. ALL casualties that young make the headlines big time. There's a reason for that.

In fact this virus is remarkably stubborn in its ageism. Much more so than the flu virus if I remember right.

17 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Not sure. 2008-2009 there were 13,000 deaths in the UK alone related to the flu.

Which equates to around 260 a day,, thats around HALF ! and current figures will rise not decrease as yet.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Logosone said:

Things became many times better, indices went many times higher, than they were before Black Tuesday.

That's even assuming Covid19 and the reckless and incompetent government overreactions could have an impact like the Great Depression, which seems very unlikely. 

The Great Depression lasted for almost ten years.

Paul Tudor is saying that within months the markets will rally:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/man-who-called-1987-crash-says-be-careful-not-to-mythologize-coronavirus-into-a-pandemic-godzilla-predicts-stocks-will-rebound-in-a-few-months-2020-03-26

This is the man that correctly predicted the 1987 crash.

Our current scenario is lot different than the worst of depressions. 

In the past folks werent prevented from keeping and running business and folks werent banned from even going outside.

What is happening now is the ridiculous virus of fear being spread to all and sundry, first from the media and now going rife through governments, all trying to outdo each other with more restrictions on simply living.

I dont have any confidence in the stock market bounce back theory either, im sorry to say.

Many are ma and pa investors, who, without incomes are gonna be needing every cent they can muster, just to survive.

They certainly wont be putting their cash in anything that has even the slightest smell of risk.

And if the present panic buying and hoarding on goods is anything to go by, people will also be hoarding money in the same way.

money that might be needed just to survive.

Our idiot economists and bankers are largely the blaim for this and the cรap that is surely about to happen.

They lowered interest rates to zero, encouraged everyone to borrow and be in debt, while slowly draining peoples savings..

All in the name of trying to achieve financial "growth" and trying to stimulate economies.

Well, they made the bed and now they will have to lie in it.

Lets see how the financial sector handles it when theres no money coming in for them.

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Yes but, the bug we are dealing with is 10 times more contagious than the yearly flu, which has been shown by the numbers of folk being hit, plus this bug attacks the lungs waaaay harder, so not only the old folk, with life long lung work, the young lungs are being tested too.

we are all as clueless as those working on a solution, things they are finding can help but its too early to call any vaccine useful. 

Every paper so far has failed to be conclusive, some scientists arnt sure its a virus anymore let alone how it actually works...take the lungs for instance, it seems to effect both to roughly the same degree, thats not like any normal viral attack. as one would very normally be much worse than the other, with covid19 both are hit most of the time to roughly the same degree. The Virus also looks and seems identical to something the body produces called exsomes.

One latest theory is the red blood cells are impaired from carrying oxygen in them whilst also leaking Iron ions out into the body.. a combination in lack of oxgen being delivered to organs whilst a build up of toxins poisons the body .. also findings that blood type is relative, A seems to be more susceptible than 0... the malaria drug  appears to help if administered early enough as it acts like an armour coating on red blood cells. Later stages its too late to be of much use... extremely high doses of Vitamin C seem to help some though no papers are conclusive as yet.. Stress along with other immunity issues and conditions along with age is a huge factor, high vit D and a meat/high zinc diet seem they might also help... smokers seem to get it less but when they do are hit worse, ex smokers more often get it than smokers and display worse symptoms even more often, Men are 3x as likely to get it. 

So much is variable, its a real mean little honey badger.

Stay safe out there,stay positive, well nourished and rested.   

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Which equates to around 260 a day,, thats around HALF ! and current figures will rise not decrease as yet.

I would have thought the figures were for the 2008-2009 flu season, say from November through March. Not for 24 months.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:01 AM, KhaoYai said:

That viewpoint is rapidly diminishing. Your reality is wrong in fact, otherwise healthy people are dying here in the UK. The deaths of 2 nurses on the frontline of the fight against this disease were announced today, yesterday a 13 year old and a 19 year old - I believe they were both previously in good health. There are many more - those are just the ones that made the headlines,

This virus is highly contageous, more so than any of the others you mention. None of those resulted in worldwide lockdowns or the economic meltdown that is beginning.  This is the most serious situation the world has faced since WW2. Do you think countries would be spending trillions on a flu?

You are exaggerating and embellishing this Corona Virus impact. Killer Virus - what 28 dead in Thailand since early January. Please go take a look at statistics for - YES the Flu. Brushing the Flu off without looking at the real stars is juvenile. H1N1 - Swine Flu had the following:  

THAILAND: first week of February 2010, the Department of Epidemiology announced the second wave of the outbreak. From 3 May 2009 to 10 March 2010, the accumulated number of confirmed H1N1 flu patients totaled 35,446 persons. The number of deaths amounted to 208 persons, 105 males and 113 females.

Does anyone even remember? 

Worldwide the H1N1 stats are quite sobering. 

Covid-19. Has had 28 deaths in 3 months x 4 = 112. And the death rate is likely to be less than 28 each 3 months in this next 9 months. 

Italy was a total anomaly. Aside from having a large elderly population that is part of the reason for a high Covid-19 death rate in Italy... Many Italians in Northern Italy sold their leather goods and textiles companies to China. Italy then allowed 100,000 Chinese from Wuhan/Wenzhou to move to Italy to work in these factories, with direct Wuhan flights. Result: Northern Italy is Europe’s hotspot for Wuhan Coronavirus. The full Chinese presence in Italy was / is many times what I posted above 

Edited by JDGRUEN
Number correction and more fully answer