USA now think better to wear mask.

Yinn

Only N95 masks will protect you against the virus.  A week ago Trump said he ordered a million N95 masks.  Now he talks about scarfs, go figure, 

A common surgical mask will not help much, and you need to replace it several times during the day. That's what doctors and nurses do.

Walk into a store and if someone breathing on you from close distance , the virus particles will go straight through the mask.  But if you wear a N95 mask it will stop the particles. 

33 minutes ago, tropo said:

Thailand didn't end up with this amazingly low mortality rate due to anything they have done as they were very slow to react.

No, they reached it by using a very selective admission criteria to get tested and then executing those tests very slowly. Tha gauntlet you have to run to get listed as covid-19 death is longer than getting permanent residency.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

I am using a mask and gel sanitizer. You would have to be pretty inept and thick headed to not think that they are not important to use against a virus. I liked how 4myego posted his usage. For me I even wipe my ATM and visa card after using it, then my wallet, car door handle, motorcycle grips, keys, you name it even the bags and the product bought inside the bags. The virus is no joke, so not a time to laugh and joke about precautions.

Luckily my friends and family in the USA have always said use a mask. Well except for one who said no it should be for the ones only sick to wear them, but now he changed his mind in fear.

image.png

OOPS. It posted without my permission. Darn adds bombarding me are messing with my controls. 

34 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I used Worldometer as my source. 

I only listed countries with a similar development status. So I did not include countries such as Nigeria and this never claimed that it is the most successful at fighting the outbreak. I consider Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and specifically Taiwan as the most successful. Plenty of testing there, almost no lockdowns, and still a very low death rate by size of population. Just look at the rich countries on the list where people wear masks, versus where they don’t. It can’t get any clearer than this. 

Using the Johns Hopkins figures as of today, deaths as a percentage of cases:

Japan - 2.39

Taiwan - 1.51

Germany - 1.19

The others, Hong Kong and Singapore, don't count because they're not real countries but city-states with mini populations. 

But anyway you can see above that Germany's mortality rate is lower than Japan's or Taiwan's.

It doesn't matter, btw if you use statista or worldometer, using the in population method you end up with Nigeria being the country that fights Covid19 the best. It's a nonsense.

Germany has the lowest mortality rate. And in Germany masks are not widely used. So, yes, it can't get any clearer than this. Masks are not necessary.

Again, if you want to wear masks, feel free to do so. But nobody should be telling anyone else to wear a mask.

Edited by Logosone

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Germany has the lowest mortality rate. And in Germany masks are not widely used. So, yes, it can't get any clearer than this. Masks are not necessary.

Why are you trying to connect fatality rate with mask wearing? It makes no sense. Masks affect the number of infections. Masks have almost no effect on fatality rates or how the disease progresses. 

Germany currently has 78,801 cases, that's a lot, a lot more than the US  and higher than France per capita, , not far behind China in total. If anything, the data suggests Germans should wear more masks. Many German and regional authorities are telling Germany to do so quickly:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/calls-grow-for-germany-wide-use-of-face-masks-covid-19

Calls are growing in Germany for the government to implement mandatory wearing of a face mask to help counter the spread of Covid-19.  After Austria ordered shoppers to cover their mouths and noses in supermarkets, increasing numbers of regional officials in neighbouring Germany are urging the federal government to introduce a similar rule. The Czech Republic and Slovakia have also just made masks mandatory.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2

This article basically spells out a handbook for politicians, but many don't seem to get any grasp of it: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Here's an example of what they should be doing, after getting reliable data from testing, testing, testing and testing more:

Capture.JPG.b0c675808fda66c146173a5212e9d066.JPG

And in Thailand it's a non-starter because they don't test enough. All they can do is randomly copy measures from other countries and hope it happens to work. Extremely frustrating.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

Only N95 masks will protect you against the virus.  A week ago Trump said he ordered a million N95 masks.  Now he talks about scarfs, go figure, 

A common surgical mask will not help much, and you need to replace it several times during the day. That's what doctors and nurses do.

Walk into a store and if someone breathing on you from close distance , the virus particles will go straight through the mask.  But if you wear a N95 mask it will stop the particles. 

Maybe the particles will come in contact with your eyes!

Let's see... at my local store, the following items are not available:

1. Face masks

2. Hand sanitizer gel

3. Paper towels

4. Toilet paper

I watched a stupid segment on a show yesterday evening that showed how to make your own masks. Step 1... procure a sewing machine; Step 2... procure materials. Step 3... yeah, whatever. Freakin' unbelievable!

Yinn... do you have any comments you would like to add?

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Chalk that one up, I'm agreeing with you.

I will withhold my usual smarmy ands supercilious comment, indeed one that is bordering on passive aggressive narcissism, because of the high regard I now have for you.

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

Good job.

if everyone same you corona be finished 21 days.

You said Qantas UNDER $2 before. 

I did look at it. But not will buy, curiousity. I not have market account.

i tell you, my company will make more! After coronavirus + one year.

Of course, I think the world is starting to think, the Asians might be onto something wearing these masks after all ?

Yes Qantas at $2.00 "if could get it for that price", but when markets opens and you see the stock going up, you have to jump, $2.20 was still a good buy and then sell at $3.20, nice easy money, BUB bought at $0.46 and sold at $0.61 but went up to $0.645 a few hours later, still good money made, more than I made on Qantas, e.g. 15.5% in under a week.

Now to sit back and wait for more opportunities when the market dips again, as for the other stocks, will still wait for a year before I sell, if I can hold my nerve.

Stay safe and keep annoying us farang on TVF ????✌️????

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Why are you trying to connect fatality rate with mask wearing? It makes no sense. Masks affect the number of infections. Masks have almost no effect on fatality rates or how the disease progresses. 

Germany currently has 78,801 cases, that's a lot, a lot more than the US  and higher than France per capita, , not far behind China in total. If anything, the data suggests Germans should wear more masks. Many German and regional authorities are telling Germany to do so quickly:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/calls-grow-for-germany-wide-use-of-face-masks-covid-19

Calls are growing in Germany for the government to implement mandatory wearing of a face mask to help counter the spread of Covid-19.  After Austria ordered shoppers to cover their mouths and noses in supermarkets, increasing numbers of regional officials in neighbouring Germany are urging the federal government to introduce a similar rule. The Czech Republic and Slovakia have also just made masks mandatory.

Infections affect the number of deaths. You have to be infected with SARS Cov2 before you die of Covid19, last I checked.

Germany has identified more cases per capita. That is a mark of success.

Because we know that the real case numbers are ten or twenty times higher than identified cases.

So higher number of identified cases is actually a mark of successful testing.

As for Germans wearing face masks:

"German Health Minister Jens Spahn said on Tuesday that he currently sees "no need for an obligation" in his country to wear masks.

"It gives a false sense of security even though it virtually does not help at all," the head of the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians, Andreas Gassen, told the Handelsblatt newspaper."

https://www.dpa-international.com/topic/need-face-mask-requirement-germany-officials-say-urn%3Anewsml%3Adpa.com%3A20090101%3A200331-99-544600

Edited by Logosone

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

The others, Hong Kong and Singapore, don't count because they're not real countries but city-states with mini populations.

Huh?

Sorry, your country is too small to be important.

You're not a real country so you can all die now.

Thanks for playing.

44 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

1. Face masks

2. Hand sanitizer gel

3. Paper towels

4. Toilet paper

I watched a stupid segment on a show yesterday evening that showed how to make your own masks. Step 1... procure a sewing machine; Step 2... procure materials. Step 3... yeah, whatever. Freakin' unbelievable!

Yinn... do you have any comments you would like to add?

While we're waiting for POTY, with regard to:

45 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

1. Face masks

2. Hand sanitizer gel

3. Paper towels

4. Toilet paper

Try a bit harder next time instead of racing home to moan on TV.

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

We were just talking about this a few days ago, Germany mortality rate at 0.73%. What is it today? 1.19%.

I even called it, I gave you the figures showing early on Korea had a better mortality rate than Germany at the point cases peaked. I'm betting Germany mortality rate settles at a number higher when the dust settles.

Except none of that matters, since as others have pointed out, masks aren't about reducing mortality rate, but infection rate.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Dr Anthony Fauci, the doctor number one, fight coronavirus, now say the people SHOULD wear mask in public place.

Fauci is a weasel.  He and the rest of the chuckleheads told Americans that a mask would not protect them.  I predicted correctly, that when the masks are available to everyone, that everyone will be advised to wear one.  What changed?  

Only availability.  So these doctors are liars to the American people emboldening idiots here to go against their own common-sense and tell us here how masks don't provide protection.  Yet, they provide at the same time, protection to health care workers. 

I am always amazed at how many here who obviously suck at the government tit of knowledge, will tell us all to do things they know is wrong.  Daddy government told them to say it, so they dismiss their own common-sense and knowledge.  I do not have sympathy for any of these people.

Human doings, not human beings.  Again, thinking is aways optional, here and there.

However, thinking optional is a sport here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Chrysaora said:

Fauci is a weasel.  He and the rest of the chuckleheads told Americans that a mask would not protect them.  I predicted correctly, that when the masks are available to everyone, that everyone will be advised to wear one.  What changed?  

Only availability.  So these doctors are liars to the American people emboldening idiots here to go against their own common-sense and tell us here how masks don't provide protection.  Yet, they provide at the same time, protection to health care workers. 

I am always amazed at how many here who obviously suck at the government tit of knowledge, will tell us all to do things they know is wrong.  Daddy government told them to say it, so they dismiss their own common-sense and knowledge.  I do not have sympathy for any of these people.

Human doings, not human beings.  Again, thinking is aways optional, here and there.

However, thinking optional is a sport here.

They needed to somehow reserve masks, especially the N95 ones, for health care providers only, since they are in a very high risk environment with aerosolized SARS-CoV-2 from patients coughing flying around all the time. Since people have a survival instinct, telling them at that time the masks help would have, and did, result in hoarding of the masks by people who have no immediate need for them. Politics and human nature, it'll be the death of us all.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

We were just talking about this a few days ago, Germany mortality rate at 0.73%. What is it today? 1.19%.

I even called it, I gave you the figures showing early on Korea had a better mortality rate than Germany at the point cases peaked. I'm betting Germany mortality rate settles at a number higher when the dust settles.

Except none of that matters, since as others have pointed out, masks aren't about reducing mortality rate, but infection rate.

Of course it will because it takes around 3 weeks for people to die.

Doesn't change the fact that right now Germany's mortality rate is considerably lower than South Korea's.

Obviously it matters because the reason you wear a mask is not to get Covid19 so you don't die. So mortality rate is the ultimate measure of success.

Imagine the shock of people who wear masks when they find out that there's a whole country where people mostly don't, but it has less deaths than those countries where masks are worn.

Edited by Logosone

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

The world's most successful country in fighting the coronavirus, Germany, is saying the following:

"German Health Minister Jens Spahn said on Tuesday that he currently sees "no need for an obligation" in his country to wear masks.

Interior Minister Horst Seehofer also argued that the focus should first be on ensuring that medical personnel and the police have enough masks, while several officials warned against sending the wrong signal by requiring the public at large to wear them.

"It gives a false sense of security even though it virtually does not help at all," the head of the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians, Andreas Gassen, told the Handelsblatt newspaper."

https://www.dpa-international.com/topic/need-face-mask-requirement-germany-officials-say-urn%3Anewsml%3Adpa.com%3A20090101%3A200331-99-544600

Don't be like silly mask person. Be like a successful German Covid19 fighter.

Are not you the same who supported the other idiot who refused to wear a mask at a 7/11?

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

If you want to wear masks you're very welcome to do so. But stop all the Mask Tyrants in Thailand who are assaulting people like we saw with the terrible case of Jim Luce that is now trending on the Internet. It's getting ridiculous.

"Terrible case". He must be a friend of yours for you to be so blindly supporting that fking idiot. He should be jailed then deported for the trouble he caused.

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

Read this link that Rabas recommended:

Calls grow for Germany-wide use of face masks

“The more people who wear [masks] voluntarily, the more they are protecting others,”

.... a distinction had to be made between mouth and nose protection and the filtering facepieces worn by medical personnel, which hold viruses back. “Mouth-nose protection serves to protect other people, so that if you as the wearer are infected yourself and you cough or sneeze, the droplets don’t travel so far, which makes sense,” Wieler said. “We recommended it from the very start [of the outbreak] and continue to do so.”

.... the premier of Baden-Württemberg, which is one of the worst-hit states in Germany, said he supported the idea of home-sewn masks, and would raise the subject at a meeting of state leaders with Angela Merkel on Wednesday. “At the very least they serve as spit protectors, reducing the risk of infecting fellow citizens through passing on the droplets,” he said.

Why is it so hard for folks to grasp that no one is recommending you run out and buy an expensive "filtering facepiece" mask used by medical personnel -- and which are in short supply (thus such a recommendation would exacerbate the problem). No, the focus on masks has now become preventing outgoing -- NOT incoming. And bandanas, home made masks, etc will do the trick -- simple, cheap, and easily implemented -- unless there's unreasonable pushback.

So, for the fella who keeps saying that Germany doesn't recommend masks and just look at their death rates -- please define which type mask you're talking about: Prevention of incoming or outgoing.

5 hours ago, Logosone said:

Okay, I'm game. Post a link to those multiple studies that conclude that masks work against Covid19.

All of the reasons to wear a mask will eventuate once the health services have a steady supply. You, like all other sheep, have believed for so long that a mask has no protection. Wake up and smell the roses. Wear a mask for the following reasons:

1. To protect yourself.

2. To protect others.

3. To be respectful to the culture of the country you choose to live in.

4. To protect against the air quality.

5. To wear to protect others if you have a cough or cold.

In the day and weeks to come, you will all realise the importance of wearing a mask. 
Do not (Should be in bold capitals) listen to your government on issues of your own health.

12 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

All of the reasons to wear a mask will eventuate once the health services have a steady supply. You, like all other sheep, have believed for so long that a mask has no protection. Wake up and smell the roses. Wear a mask for the following reasons:

1. To protect yourself.

2. To protect others.

3. To be respectful to the culture of the country you choose to live in.

4. To protect against the air quality.

5. To wear to protect others if you have a cough or cold.

In the day and weeks to come, you will all realise the importance of wearing a mask. 
Do not (Should be in bold capitals) listen to your government on issues of your own health.

You're completely wrong, and of course like a sheep following the herd, in the absence of solid scientific data.

Just like you're probably slavishly following 1.5 metres or 2 metres "social distance", when MIT has demonstrated that you'd need to be at least 8 metres from any person to escape the droplets you worry about so much.

Social distancing does not work. Masks do not work. The only thing that works is testing and isolating the infected.

But don't let that get in the way of your illusory sense of psychological comfort when you clutch your precious mask.

I will not wear a mask, and I will tell everyone I know that they do not need to wear a mask. What's more anyone that does I'll straight out laugh at them. It's like wearing an amulet. No basis in science whatsoever.

I will certainly listen to the German government, by far the most successful country in fighting Covid 19, a country that bases its approach on real science.

Btw, Taiwan also advised its people not to wear masks:

In early February 2020, the Executive Yuan adopted the recommendations of professors Huang Li-min (黃立民) and Chang Shang-chwen (張上淳) of the National Taiwan University Medical School, advocating that healthy people do not need to wear masks in open spaces. On 8 February, Chen Shih-chung, commander of the Central Epidemic Prevention Center, further stated that there was no need to wear a mask on public transportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Taiwan

So excuse me if I rather take the advice of health professionals from the countries that are actually succeeding in fighting the virus, rather than some obviously over-frightened netizen.

Wear a mask if you want to. Don't tell me what to do.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 2

Everyone knows wearing a proper N95 or above respirator / or a 'proper' mask is the best way to proceed.

This is why I purchased a couple of boxes of N95s and a couple of half face masks with plenty of P100 filters.

The Chinese were very busy buying up all the masks across the US and the rest of the world throughout January and February.

When the government speak about wearing a face mask they're talking about the useless surgical masks which provide very little in the way of protection.

When a government says something, it's not a time to act immediately without thought - it's a time to think and take our own actions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Of course it will because it takes around 3 weeks for people to die.

Doesn't change the fact that right now Germany's mortality rate is considerably lower than South Korea's.

Obviously it matters because the reason you wear a mask is not to get Covid19 so you don't die. So mortality rate is the ultimate measure of success.

I'm saying that odds are Germany will have a higher mortality rate than Korea, as Korea has had time to stabilize while Germany has not. The measure of success is deaths per capita.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're completely wrong, and of course like a sheep following the herd, in the absence of solid scientific data.

Just like you're probably slavishly following 1.5 metres or 2 metres "social distance", when MIT has demonstrated that you'd need to be at least 8 metres from any person to escape the droplets you worry about so much.

Social distancing does not work. Masks do not work. The only thing that works is testing and isolating the infected.

But don't let that get in the way of your illusory sense of psychological comfort when you clutch your precious mask.

I will not wear a mask, and I will tell everyone I know that they do not need to wear a mask. What's more anyone that does I'll straight out laugh at them. It's like wearing an amulet. No basis in science whatsoever.

I will certainly listen to the German government, by far the most successful country in fighting Covid 19, a country that bases its approach on real science.

Btw, Taiwan also advised its people not to wear masks:

In early February 2020, the Executive Yuan adopted the recommendations of professors Huang Li-min (黃立民) and Chang Shang-chwen (張上淳) of the National Taiwan University Medical School, advocating that healthy people do not need to wear masks in open spaces. On 8 February, Chen Shih-chung, commander of the Central Epidemic Prevention Center, further stated that there was no need to wear a mask on public transportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Taiwan

So excuse me if I rather take the advice of health professionals from the countries that are actually succeeding in fighting the virus, rather than some obviously over-frightened netizen.

Wear a mask if you want to. Don't tell me what to do.

What a complete ignorant post.

Try and post in a couple of weeks when world opinion changes.

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

Look, I have already shown you above that, as of today, even taking the unusually large increase in deaths yesterday Germany has a mortality rate that is considerably lower than South Korea's or any other major Asian country where mask wearing is common.

The German health minister and top German doctors are saying that wearing masks is not helpful and can be counter-productive.

And yes, I don't like wearing masks, it's hot on the face, it makes breathing harder and the only ones that supposedly work, N95, are so tight they rip your ears off.

If you want to wear masks you're very welcome to do so. But stop all the Mask Tyrants in Thailand who are assaulting people like we saw with the terrible case of Jim Luce that is now trending on the Internet. It's getting ridiculous.

I am not going to enter the mask or no mask 'argument' ... However if the pain on your ear is a big problem .. it was for me ... Just tie a string to the two loops so that you can run the string behind your head ...  Now no strain on the back of your ear ???? .. Works wonders ..

55 minutes ago, Chrysaora said:

What changed? Not that a run-of-the-mill cotton mask provides much protection against becoming infected, i.e. against incoming virus. What changed was the discovery by the CDC that 25% of those infected by the corona virus are asymptomatic. Thus, you've got who knows how many sickees walking around, feeling just fine -- but also passing the virus on to others.  Answer: Why by golly, make these folks wear masks to prevent outgoing virus infected droplets. And such masks needn't be expensive models. What's so hard to understand...?