Covid-19: More booze bans coming? Thai province bans alcohol sale at all convenience stores: cooperate or we'll shut you down

webfact

2 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

What a stupid comment.

Really? The idea of separating responsible from irresponsible drinkers is beyond stupid.

Just an illustration to emphasize the absurdity of it: Drunk people always think they are good drivers.

18 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I think it's called policing, and being responsible, whilst leaving stores open. Or something similar. It's working elsewhere.

What, in the same way that policing prevents drunk driving offences?

I don't often use this phrase, but 'This is Thailand' Get real!

Edited by Moonlover

22 minutes ago, smedly said:

then do the sensible thing and ban people from gathering and drinking in public

Do you honestly think people would listen?  And unless the penalties for violation were strict enough, people would react the same way they do to the traffic laws. Unfortunately, breaking this law could have a more far-ranging, to say nothing about deadly, effect.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

We're in the middle of a crisis, yet you expect the police force to decide on who can drink and who shouldn't. You're the king of "stupid comments".

See. It can be done.

6 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

That's not what I said. Lol. The police can stop social drinkers gathering. After all, they can't be difficult to see or hear. Blimey it's not rocket science. And I'm the stupid one?

Based on your suggestions,  yes, I believe you are.

Why should the police, in the middle of a crisis, make extra work for themselves.

Ban it outright and be done with it. Sorry, that prospect probably scares you to death.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

See. It can be done.

What a great idea - give the police more work in a time of crisis. Get over it - soon you'll be struggling to buy your alcoholic fix.

Edited by tropo

42 minutes ago, smedly said:

then do the sensible thing and ban people from gathering and drinking in public

banning alcohol sales is not the answer

I was in a 7/11 yesterday and bought a can of fanta and drank it outside - should that be banned too ????

It's not banning stuff that is the problem here it's the lack of logic that makes what they are doing complete nonsense although it really is no surprise at all

I just want to add

I was picking up some very negative sentiment when out and about yesterday, make no mistake - there are many Thais on the edge right now and with this constant dangerous anti foreigner sentiment being spread by the authorities do not underestimate how intolerant some Thais can become, most Thais that I personally know understand were it's at but there are a lot that don't and given that we could also be blamed for their loss of income and jobs - be very careful out there 

The stupidity of those that should know better is unrivalled right now - there is anti western sentiment and it will only get worse - be careful 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

and people who don't drink or smoke are always looking for an excuse to make a cheap shot - keep it to yourself

Still upset about your "lack of logic" in the amazing Fanta vs Alcohol comment? You and Wiggy should go out and have drinks together.

• Sad 7

11 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

How's that? I don't drink, but believe in the rights of others to do so, responsibly.

Are you living under a rock? The country is in a state of emergency and your rights under this are very limited.

Your rights ended on this day:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-pm-state-of-emergency-begins-at-midnight

Similar things are happening in most countries. The needs of the many have now superseded your personal rights. Your rights have been suspended until further notice.

• Like 1

Why not just give up alcohol?

It's almost as bad as cigarettes for health; so many people posting could come out of this crisis on the other side with better all round health.

Try it, a life free of being a slave to beer and spirits is a better life.

????

Rooster

(on behalf of the Puritanical Institute of Society Thailand (acronym withheld).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Why not just give up alcohol?

It's almost as bad as cigarettes for health; so many people posting could come out of this crisis on the other side with better all round health.

Try it, a life free of being a slave to beer and spirits is a better life.

????

Rooster

(on behalf of the Puritanical Institute of Society Thailand (acronym withheld).

Steady now Rooster, your halo might slip down and choke you.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

Are you living under a rock? The country is in a state of emergency and your rights under this are very limited.

Your rights ended on this day:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-pm-state-of-emergency-begins-at-midnight

Similar things are happening in most countries. The needs of the many have now superseded your personal rights. Your rights have been suspended until further notice.

Please learn to read.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Steady now Rooster, your halo might slip down and choke you.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

It already has actually - the nippers use it as a makeshift hula hoop.

Hours of family fun.

BTW - how are you doing in "isolation"! Probably like me it is quite similar to 'normal' life!! Hope you are getting on well with the missus!

Rooster

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

But we might go Tropo

Blimey, you can't have been here very long! I went TIT ("Troppo in Thailand")  in the 1980's.

Helps me get through any crisis, especially the current quite minor one ????

Rooster

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jane Dough said:

It already has actually - the nippers use it as a makeshift hula hoop.

Hours of family fun.

BTW - how are you doing in "isolation"! Probably like me it is quite similar to 'normal' life!! Hope you are getting on well with the missus!

Rooster

Wife and me doing just fine, been self isolated now for 3 weeks, same as normal for me.

Just baking some bread, made scotch pancakes an hour ago, all gone, we ate them all, whist they were still hot, butter dripping everywhere.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Blimey, you can't have been here very long! I went TIT ("Troppo in Thailand")  in the 1980's.

Helps me get through any crisis, especially the current quite minor one ????

Rooster

wonder if someone got the double meaning.

• Like 1