Down, but not out!

BBJ

Most of my riding is 80% is off road.  And no matter how good you think you are you've got to expect to fall at some point.  I've had a few that fortunately have all been at a slow pace on technical stuff.

Just before Christmas I was practicing for the Rimba Raid Rally in Malaysia that was going to happen this year.  Unlikely now of course.   So off I go the the place I often practice at Bo Din, A place I am familier with.  Not wishing to wreck my newish-at-the-time overpriced Klim Krios Pro, I bought myself an Oneal MX Helmet and glad I did!

828985350_Klim1.thumb.jpg.161819b7f61f0aee7d101eb6037f0c13.jpg

oneal.jpg.0184e05165c064308b93a3e323a58a0c.jpg

I was burining down the straight at around 130kph and powesliding the corners just because it's fun before reaching some jumps at the top of the reservoir.  At this point I'd done 5 runs back and forth stopping on each return to adjust the suspension.  "Enough", I thought now time to go home but I decided to do one more run.

1.3.jpg.a930cefc8f9d4f420891b643c105ba65.jpg

IMG_20200306_153645.jpg.d3dfe84346db24c7b236020ce3903edb.jpg

On each round a took a series of small jumps with my camera setup to see how much compression there was on landing, but on the last run my left foot slipped off the pegs, my body sagged to the left and I twisted the throttle, carrying me over another set of jumps throwing me over the bike.  When I woke up under a tree, 20ft are so from my bike, it was like a sledge hammer had hit me on the centre of my back.  When I checked the video, it looked like the bike hit me on the back.  I could barely walk and stupidly I was alone (Social Distancing to the max), crawling to find my mobile phone.

c1.jpg.df073774f2da439bd2245baccd80061d.jpg

c4.jpg.47179a43f59891997938419645fd690e.jpg

My blue jersey visible as I just woke up.  After about 20 minutes I crawled to my bike to get my phone as it was attached the the Ram mount, but when I saw the front I realised the damage.  Unfortuntaly, my phone was smashed so I could not call, and the front of the bike was too damaged to ride.

Before:

bike.thumb.jpg.7c90677485ba6bf48407c39929807170.jpg

After:

bike2.jpg.d6738b683e8cf999aee36e128c0849d2.jpg

The heat was scorching so I had to half crawl and walk to the nearest shop to get some help.  As I kealed over on the floor at a local shop I showed the lady my phone and asked if I could make a call, struggling to get any words out and In typical fashion, my wife wasn't answering her phone as shes always in meetings so the lady called a friend and offered to take me to the hospital.  Thinking more about my bike, I asked her to drop me off at the main road near Nimit Mi so I could take a taxi home.  When I arrived home I collapsed on the floor and aventually got through to my wife via whatsapp.  First priority was my bike.  After recovering it I then went to the hospital.  Luckily, despite the pain to my ribs and back, I came away with a couple of broken toes only.

The Damage:

1x Totally smashed P30 pro.  1x Lost action camera.  1 x Oneal Helmet 1 hour use.  Bike, Smashed LCD display, front fairing and inner.  Bent bars and wrecked screen.  One fork slighly bent.  Honda Quotation, 200K repair.  Camera, Phone and Helmet 65K.

Edited by BBJ

Maybe now you will understand why track guys remove the factory plastic and buy cheap track plastic to clothe the bike ???? 

Or maybe the new black look is exactly that?

Edited by VocalNeal

20 hours ago, papa al said:

Like the new black look.!

Video would be great.

I have the rear view.  But the best one of me flying over and landing in the trees is the action camera that is lost.  On one of the cameras I see myself putting it down while getting some shade.  Think I left it there.  The ground has since been turned over to make another jump.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Maybe now you will understand why track guys remove the factory plastic and buy cheap track plastic to clothe the bike ???? 

Or maybe the new black look is exactly that?

Not really.  Fully understood in the first place and not the first time I have had replaced the fairing.  Some hobbies are expensive.  And the reason I bought the Africa Twin here and not a KTM or BMW, or Husq for that matter.  My Thai mate has just forked out 10,000USD getting his 990 fixed.  He's since ditched it for a modded AT.  MST Kit on its way.  Looks the dog's but more expensive.

images.jpg

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Glad you are OK BBJ! Especially your back considering that the bike hit you there.

And very encouraging that you posted about your and your bikes recovery. Wish you the best for your further recovery and future offroading.

On the other hand discouraging to hear about the service you have received. On a totally unrelated note and not aimed at avoiding said dealer at all: which area are you riding in? Google Maps wasn't helpful in finding "Bo Din".

Head for Korean International School.  The track goes around the reservoir.  Nobody there during the week but a few at weekends.  You are supposed to pay for a year's membership as I did at 1000bht.  They clean and maintain the area and are always deleveoping it for Trials, MX and other.  Many go I don't pay which is a bit cheeky but up to them.

https://goo.gl/maps/xERBdjPcKg5axcgd6

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

You made a big mess of that plane you hit during your jump ????

The worse thing about that plane is it is directly below the take off point of the Airport.  Looking down, passangers at the time must have been cacking themselves.  I thought they were going to turn it into a trials section.  Thai guy was told a new coffee place for bikers.  Interesting to look around it just to see how fragile they are.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You must be young. When I was 16 and I crashed my bike (a little) I was also concerned about my bike and not my bleeding knees...

I always thought one of the positive things with off road biking is that you ride relative slow compared to guys on the track. And falling at relative low speed is obviously not as bad as high speed. But it seems you combine off road and high speed. Good luck for the future. Take it easy!

47-years young.  Only ride fast off road, not on.  Rather collide with nature than head-on with a van or truck. 

17 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Glad you and the bike are fixable. When you have a big accident , the extra money spent on decentprotective doesnt seem too expensive after all. 

Yep, my Fox Titan did its job. 

• Like 1

Glad you came out of it alright BBJ . Your Bike looks like it took a good spanking. I used to dirt ride a lot but always on bikes under 350 cc. Still hurts like a bitch when you wreck. Bike looks pretty nice again & paint is cheap here if you want to color change.

Glad to hear you are okay BBJ.

Bike looks great in the restored condition.

So you didn't involve the insurance, if you have class A I will assume they will have to fork out?

Shocking to hear that Honda service can be so bad, if it was me, I would have reported it.

• 2 months later...

Just a note as some asked me again where the place is on my FB page.  For some reason the link I put here no longer links to the Korean International school near the water park, but to another on Ram Intra.  They are not the same place and for some odd reason I can no longer find it on GPS.