Covid-19 video: Russian/Thai couple fear for their lives after hospital send them home with high fever

webfact

Covid-19 video: Russian/Thai couple fear for their lives after hospital send them home with high fever

4pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A couple just back to Thailand from Russia went to the media to complain after they contacted a hospital in Chonburi and despite having a high fever were sent home with some paracetamol and cough medicine. 

The couple are a 22 Thai woman and her 30 year old Russian boyfriend.

They made a video that they sent to a hospital that was not named in the 77kaoded story. 

They said they arrived back from Russia on the 21st of March and went into 14 day self quarantine. 

By the eighth day both had developed a fever and three days into that they had high fever and were feeling much worse. They took paracetamol as coughs and diarrhea developed.

They contacted the hospital in the morning and an ambulance picked them up in the evening at 4 pm. 

They were examined and deemed not to be in danger, were given more paracetamol and cough mixture and sent home to continue quarantine. 

"B" (an assumed name) told the media they were not given chest x-rays and now she and her husband think they are going to die. 

77kaoded contacted the hospital who wouldn't give them any details and said to call the Chonburi authorities. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-02
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

A test for the virus, perhaps? Seems a reasonable expection after telling the hospital about their symptoms and voluntary quarantine.

I dont think countries have enough tests, but even if they get tested and are positive then what? There is no cure and until there are symptoms of difficulty with breathing they wont admit you. Spoke to a friend of mine in the USA and her husband was sick. Wanted to get tested they wouldn't test him, as he had not been out of the country. They sent him home and was told if he starts having breathing issues or gets worse come back.  Two days later he started having breathing issues. He's in the hosp now and on a ventilator.  Hopefully they will find a cure soon!

• Like 2

Just now, ericthai said:

I dont think countries have enough tests, but even if they get tested and are positive then what? There is no cure and until there are symptoms of difficulty with breathing they wont admit you. Spoke to a friend of mine in the USA and her husband was sick. Wanted to get tested they wouldn't test him, as he had not been out of the country. They sent him home and was told if he starts having breathing issues or gets worse come back.  Two days later he started having breathing issues. He's in the hosp now and on a ventilator.  Hopefully they will find a cure soon!

As with all viruses, prevention is the best cure. If you're elderly, pull up the drawbridge and fill the moat.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

They were examined and deemed not to be in danger, were given more paracetamol and cough mixture and sent home to continue quarantine. 

Seems perfectly normal.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

"B" (an assumed name) told the media they were not given chest x-rays and now she and her husband think they are going to die. 

Seems like an overreaction.

• Like 1

They are young and not in the risk group, yes it's a nasty flu but all you can do is to stay home until its over. Drink a lot of fluid and paracet for the fever. 

On 4/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Probably a case of hypochondria

Wow, the glib responses here...

Apparently the lot of you aren't following this with much attention. Many younger people with no underlying conditions have died. It's random in that regard and something they do not understand. When it does take a turn for the worse, the turn comes quickly.

Further, I'm guessing that if the symptoms are accurate (now a high fever, cough and diarrhea), and it was YOU, or a loved one, it wouldn't be quite as comical.

I'd think they'd be tested with these symptoms- a modest expectation. Further, if it were you, you'd probably want a medical intervention somewhere north of a tylenol--- say a test, at least a bloody x-ray.

If I actually had this Chinese virus, I would also want hydroxychlroquine and azithromycin. 

But, of course, as per your response, if it were you or a loved one, you'd want none of the above. Sure.... ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, idiot farang said:

Apparently the lot of you aren't following this with much attention. Many younger people with no underlying conditions have died.

Yes agreed, worrying. The information coming out of the UK is suggesting that, although it could be the media focusing on it too. A couple of NHS nurses in their 30's. And data suggesting if you go to hospital, it is a death sentence (4% recovery). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, idiot farang said:

Wow, the glib responses here...

Apparently the lot of you aren't following this with much attention. Many younger people with no underlying conditions have died. It's random in that regard and something they do not understand. When it does take a turn for the worse, the turn comes quickly.

Further, I'm guessing that if the symptoms are accurate (now a high fever, cough and diarrhea), and it was YOU, or a loved one, it wouldn't be quite as comical.

I'd think they'd be tested with these symptoms- a modest expectation. Further, if it were you, you'd probably want a medical intervention somewhere north of a tylenol--- say a test, at least a bloody x-ray.

If I actually had this Chinese virus, I would also want hydroxychlroquine and azithromycin. 

But, of course, as per your response, if it were you or a loved one, you'd want none of the above. Sure.... ????

We know all that. Have you noticed that everyone has Corona these days, normal coughs, colds and flu don't exist. Of course if symptoms are bad then you need treating, but the lightweights are clogging hospitals all over the world

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

We know all that. Have you noticed that everyone has Corona these days, normal coughs, colds and flu don't exist. Of course if symptoms are bad then you need treating, but the lightweights are clogging hospitals all over the world

Not UK I think, they have to be referred I believe. At 4% recovery rate they are either doing badly or seriously ill on arrival.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, balo said:

They are young and not in the risk group, yes it's a nasty flu but all you can do is to stay home until its over. Drink a lot of fluid and paracet for the fever. 

The young are not in the at risk group, but can easily be carriers.  The young also need social distancing, and to abide by the theory behind shut downs, for the benefit of the community, particularly the elderly. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, balo said:

They are young and not in the risk group

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

The young are not in the at risk group

It is worth noting that she mentions, in her Instagram post, that her husband, presumably around the same age, is on a ventilator. Intubation is always a last resort and usually causes a lot of ancillary damage, most notably permanent damage to your brain function.

Yes, just one couple, but the risks for us are not as low as we might like to think. Anyone presuming they can just get this, feel a bit ropey for a week, and then come out the other side with immunity and just as healthy, could end up regretting not taking it more seriously.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, balo said:

They are young and not in the risk group, (snip)

everyone IS in the risk group. younger persons stand a better chance of recovery BUT are still at risk....                  …….. of dying...

4 hours ago, jastheace said:

younger persons stand a better chance of recovery BUT are still at risk....                  …….. of dying...

98% of younger people recover from the virus, most only have light symptoms.  Yes you will have a few cases of kids dying, nurses dying, but the point is sooner or later most of the population will get the virus , it will not go away for many years.  

When we have a vaccine, the virus will end up as a seasonal flu , and the risk groups will get vaccinated. 
COVID19 will not go away, it will just be another CORONA virus we have to live with. 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, Eindhoven said:

On the other hand;

If this woman is well enough to be taking selfies and posting, no sign of a ventilator or having problems breathing, WHY is she taking up a valuable hospital bed and resources ??

Its the same situation all over the world, if you are not having problems breathing , the same as the couple in the OP, you dont need to be in Hospital. They should start fining people that unnecessarily present at over crowded hospitals

• Like 1
  • Sad 1