Thailand’s bar Workers Screwed by the Government They Help Support

scubascuba3

So many nuances to this topic it's hard to now where to start.

The 'entertainment' industry is integral to the whole attraction of Thailand to many who visit, anyone who deny's that fact is basically an idiot.

In general from the bar girl to the teacher, Thai's never plan for the future, beyond next week, so lets not castigate the bar girl for not having a rainy day fund, thats endemic across most of Thai society.

My wife yesterday ended up sending a couple of hundred bucks to some cousin or other who was high tailing it out of Pattaya to weather out the storm.

One thing you have to admire about Thai's, is that they will help out family in a crisis, regardless of their own stupidity for not being prepared, and this for most of the globe is a crisis.

Edited by GinBoy2

57 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think the reason that they do not qualify is that the Owners of the establishments they work in do not pay into the social security system or pay employment taxes to the government.  Then the ladies themselves do not pay into the tax system in order to file a tax return and therefore are not seen as truly employed.  It is an under the table world they live in with backhanders given as protection to those in power by the owners to keep them running and not getting shut down for what is deemed illegal activity by some.

Yes you get it

most of the girls don't have any work contract with the bar

in fact regarding the hours they have to do and the salary they receive

from the bar they are well under the minimum Thai wage 

(They work usualy 12 hours\day for 5000\7000 a month with only 3 days of ''holidays'')

So they need to have a lot of lady drink, short times and long times to do a decent wage

also a lot of them don't have any health cover, if they are sick they have to pay for themselves if they can. If they can not work their salary is cuted

Basicaly all the system exploit the girls, they are mostly uneducated and unaware of their rights then it's easy for the bosses at all the levels to do money on the girl's a>>

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

no way you were born as poor as those in Thailand, in the west you get benefits, council houses, all sorts of things that stop you being poor

I was born poor. My parents both have phd and made 200 German marks (before Euros) a month.

Then the civil war hit me and I was even more poor.

Yet, very few women prostitute themselves in my country. 

Bye with your stupid thread.

44 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Plenty of people voted for the usurpers in the last one. Should have been zero. But they are happy with the handouts so somnamnaa.

Cheap shot - enjoy it ???? 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

they need to do house calls and food delivery, do door to door bangs during the day and then at night offer more with every pepperoni pizza.

They could easily rake in 20k a month doing that.

too much hard work for them

• Like 1

Heartless wretches,  my Buddah it's support your favorite bar girl week. A little hand out goes a long way right now. Go walk around and share or buy a meal with them , hand out a few baht afterward or are you afraid ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A few guys on this thread who seem to have been burned by girls hence the negativity. It wasn't the beaches and temples that made Thailand very popular

Nah, more likely you married a bargirl, shelling out about 100k a month for extended family  and now think that everyone should be a fool and support them.

Newsflash!

A friend of my wife was put on temporary leave due to a virus. She used to make close to 100k a month working at car dealership, but now she is only getting 10 thousand while on temporary leave. Not enough for her so she started delivering food and parcels during the day. She makes 1k-2k a day, but she works 7 days a week. 

So there is always a demand for something. 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not true at all, born poor, just be thankful you weren't

.... there are billions of people on this planet born poor; and only a very small minority of them lower themselves to bar-girl "work". The real problem is that most of them are emotionally troubled due to family attitudinal problems.

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Alas my girl who owns her own salon and is from Myanmar, pays taxes for her employees and they were able to collect, but she could not as she is not Thai.  However, she pays into the system herself and files her taxes every year.  So I can see, once again what this was about and unfortunately it is about politics in general.

Provided she had filed for a minimum no. of years. Has she been a resident for many years? Thailand has far less resources to give because it is a relatively poor country.

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

Nah, more likely you married a bargirl, shelling out about 100k a month for extended family  and now think that everyone should be a fool and support them.

This thread isn't about guys sponsoring girls, it's about girls not having money to eat let alone feed family and the govt should help

22 minutes ago, graexx said:

Provided she had filed for a minimum no. of years. Has she been a resident for many years? Thailand has far less resources to give because it is a relatively poor country.

She has lived here for 20 years, and has only owned her business and payed taxes for the past 2 years.  prior to that she worked for another salon that never paid her taxes nor di she.  I put her on the right path.  However, its not enough as she still has to jump through the hoops like all of us expats do....

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

What a post! Since when are prostitutes entitled to sign up for the SS?

You can't just sign up for it. 

Then the employer would have to pay the same amount.  

How can they file a tax return for work that';s basically illegal? 

Without bargils, the country wouldn't be as developed as it is right now.

But does the government know that?

Without the bar girls ,  many expats  would not have settled in Thailand .

Bought land , houses , cars, motor bikes etc..

Without bar girls, the country wouldn't be as developed as it is right now, sure.

The goverment must know that, but won't admit it ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, elliss said:

Without meeting the bar girls ,  many expats  would not have settled in Thailand .

Bought land , houses , cars, motor bikes etc..

Without bar girls, the country wouldn't be as developed as it is right now, sure.

The goverment must know that, but won't admit it ..

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

desperate sexpats

or some worker from a ship out at sea for six months alone in his cabin and arrives in Pattaya and don't know anything about any virus ...  or a desert Bedouin who just come from his camel heard and want's f... all night  

10 hours ago, Pravda said:

A friend of my wife was put on temporary leave due to a virus. She used to make close to 100k a month working at car dealership, but now she is only getting 10 thousand while on temporary leave. Not enough for her so she started delivering food and parcels during the day. She makes 1k-2k a day, but she works 7 days a week. 

So there is always a demand for something. 

Was that 100k fixes salary or commission based ?

If it was fixed salary she should be getting 75% under the Labour Protection Act.

Those girls never pay any tax but earn more than enough yearly to do pay them. They would laugh if you tell them to do so. Most not even bother to vote.
Now they want the 5K while not being employed officially. Do we really have to care? They should have some buffer easily, not even a month passed.

I am sure they can earn more than 5K if they finally get back to normal prices of 1K instead of 3K, even during Corona there will be takers.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Was that 100k fixes salary or commission based ?

If it was fixed salary she should be getting 75% under the Labour Protection Act.

Obviously commission based, anything is in TH with such jobs. Even in HomePro and shopping malls.

Life is touGH for the poorly educated that is a fact and selling sex well it's an easy road to easy money.....a hell of a lot easier than farm work which pays 300 baht a day!  But, to make so much money,  as the cute ones do,  and not save a little is silly to the extreme.  Coming from a poor background you would think they would know to save for a rainy day.

17 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Life is touGH for the poorly educated that is a fact and selling sex well it's an easy road to easy money.....a hell of a lot easier than farm work which pays 300 baht a day!  But, to make so much money,  as the cute ones do,  and not save a little is silly to the extreme.  Coming from a poor background you would think they would know to save for a rainy day.

You can try to sell your body to 50 - 60 - 70 years old ladys in every form and mental state. Drunk, smelly, I guess you get it if you just think about it! Same jokes every day, 

I could not, but they do, and I find it quite arrogant and ignorant to state it is an easy way out. 

Hi everyone, I read the Pattaya One article and wondered if it's really true - the lady said "Yet our kind of work means that we have zero chance of any income during this time." surely the girls have other ways to find customers like social media - does anyone know how they are doing it? My guess is they are using Facebook or Line. I know the Chinese app We Chat has a feature where you can find people nearby, but not sure about other apps. 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Obviously commission based, anything is in TH with such jobs. Even in HomePro and shopping malls.

Agreed, she'll have a base salary and then commission on top. Another thing I've noticed many Thais do is just quote their highest ever month and say that's their income. Like if a lady had a good month and made 100k, she'd tell people that's her salary - it wouldn't matter if she only made that much once. She wouldn't do anything complex like calculate the average or anything like that. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, darrendsd said:

These girls need help from the Government - anyone here who looks down on them really have no idea how Thailand works

One might hope that Pattaya's bar girls might have squirreled away a few baht. The real tragedy is these girls, working all over the county, for enough money for dinner! 

working hard.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Coming from a poor background you would think they would know to save for a rainy day.

It tends to be the exact opposite to what you say...

People living day to day on minimum wage don't have the luxury of saving for a rainy day !!

So that is how these girls have been raised and they don't know the concept of saving, even though some earn a good wage now...

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This thread isn't about guys sponsoring girls, it's about girls not having money to eat let alone feed family and the govt should help

Can see your point,however the sex industry in pattaya was in decline before corona struck,kak exchange rate,girls wanting silly money,let's hope things will get better soon,and this might be the kick up the <del pattaya needs.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, baansgr said:

Maybe they should have saved some of that money the numerous sponsors were sending them, or from the 3/4k short times or from the 150 BAHT drinks...rather than blowing it on fast food,flash phones and making out they are some thing they are not....sorry don't get any sympathy from me.....15 years go maybe 

Not sure I've been to a bar in the last 3 years where a girly drink was only 150baht? But back on point I'm sure they only get something small like 30baht from them..