Strongest sleeping pill available at a pharmacy?

Monomial

Much has been said over the past month about the medical need for this shutdown. Very little has been said of the health concerns of forcing extreme financial stress onto a population with no clear end in sight. I wonder which one is actually worse in the end. Personally, I would rather risk the virus than the complete financial evisceration I am currently facing due to this shutdown. But I can't do anything about this, and the stress this is causing me is worse than anything I have experienced in my life. I haven't slept for over 3 days. I've been turning to alcohol to try and numb the anxiety, but ultimately that is a horrible solution. I wonder if anyone has studied how many will die due to weakened immune systems from extreme stress, and if that number is actually less than those who will die from the virus.

In any case, I desperately need to sleep. Does anyone know what is the strongest medication I can buy over the counter at a pharmacy?

Anyone who will sell you sleeping pills without prescription will be breaking the law never mind the doubtful origin of the pills, but if you insist, try to get anti anxiety pills of the benzodiazepines class like Xanax and Lorazepam that works to come one down and also help in sleep, best to go see a doctor and get them from reputable sources rather than dodgy pharmacies, not cheap but at least you know what you put into you...

Where are you? If you can't be assed going to the doctor to get a script your best bet is a pharmacy near a farang entertainment precinct. Most of them have a box under the counter with all the goodies. Best bet valium or xannax. If you want to save some money ask for the generic version which is probably all they've got anyway. The more upmarket the pharmacy, the less likely you will be able to get what you want without a script.

19 minutes ago, timendres said:

I rarely need help falling asleep, but when I do, I find the active ingredient in Benadryl to be extremely effective. You can purchase diphenhydramine (or it's cousin diphenhydramide) at nearly any pharmacy. It is cheap, safe, and never fails to knock me out.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll give diphenhydramine a try. Sounds promising. Quick reading about it says it inhibits the histaminergic pathways in the brainstem. Since it is my lizard brain which is causing me so much stress right now, this might be exactly what I need. It also appears to have an anticholinergic effect which should make active cognition more difficult. I'm sure much of the stress comes because I can't stop thinking about my problems at the moment.

The only serious negative I see is that long term use may be associated with dementia, but I'm just looking for something as a short term solution to my immediate problem.

Use strong alcohol if you must to knock yourself out to get over a short term crisis. Sleeping meds can be very addictive and cause more problems down the line with your brain. 

Im not a doc but have had some adverse experiences quitting the sleepers.

though diazepam and xanax can be bought from some pharmacies, a lot of them are duds these days, i expect this is so they don't incriminate themselves. it's also a waste not to take them in the daytime

atarax (hydroxyzine) is a common drug most pharmacies have as a sleep aid, but is a short term fix, but you'll feel wiped out until lunchtime the next day, and not in a good way

i'd actually choose alcohol + hangover over this. hope this helps

17 minutes ago, SteveK said:

You can't buy diphenhydramine in Thailand, at least not on it's own.

What you can buy is dimenhydrinate, which is a mixture of diphenhydramine with a very weak stimulant, a bit like caffeine. Still very effective as a hypnotic as the diphenydramine in it is stronger than the stimulant. 

Avoid stuff like diazepam and lorazepam, as well as being illegal to possess or consume without a Thai doctor's prescription, they are much more dangerous and addictive, especially when used in combination with other drugs including alcohol. Not only that but they will also be likely to gouge you on the price of these things seeing as they aren't supposed to be selling them or even sell you fakes.

Now that you mention this, I do remember that the pharmacist here could not sell me diphenhydramine specifically, but had something what was essentially the same thing - maybe is was dimenhydrinate. It was a small yellowish pill. Worked well for me.

2 minutes ago, timendres said:

Now that you mention this, I do remember that the pharmacist here could not sell me diphenhydramine specifically, but had something what was essentially the same thing - maybe is was dimenhydrinate. It was a small yellowish pill. Worked well for me.

Yes that's it, tiny little yellow pills, 10 baht for a strip. Very bitter if you chew them. Diphenhydramine is also a mild local anaesthetic.

• Thanks 1

Sominar

or

various brands of hydroxyzine e.g. Drozine

Both are antihistamines/minor tranquilizers and sleep dosage usually 50 mg but can go as high as 75-100mg assuming normal liver function.

Don't drive after taking and don't mix with alcohol.

• Like 2

I second the advice on antihistamines - legal, widely available and effective at inducing drowsiness. I have allergies anyway, so I often turn to Tiffy, which is regular dose paracetamol, mixed with an antihistamine and a vasoconstrictor. If I take a couple of pills before bed I sleep like a baby.