Hotel prices, changes?

Deserted

Greetings, I have been made homeless in Bangkok and finding anything reasonable is hard.

I've heard Pattaya is empty so have hotel prices come down? COuld I pick up something that would be about 5-600 for 3-400 now? COuld I get someone for a month for say 3-4000? WOuld it be easy? Just somewhere small clean and quiet. Not into all the women of the night and that stuff. just sea air and a cheap room. 

All help with names of hotels appreciated. I normally stay off soi buakhao. Should get something there for 3000k a month, was maybe 5000k before right?

You'll need to walk about and find if any have dropped their prices. I see on Facebook Thais are struggling to pay their rent so if you want 3k a month maybe try the Thai guesthouses.

I hear Navin Mansion 2 dropped from circ 15k to 6k a month

Edited by scubascuba3

7 hours ago, champers said:

In the space of a week Sandalay went from 1250 a night to 1100 to 899. 1250 was a reduced price to start with. A lot of hotels are shut; not enough custom to warrant opening.

A lot more about to shut after today's announcement.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Even if you can find a hotel that's open, sea air is all you'll get as they're closing the beaches down too.

I think you will find the people needing a hotel will be stranded tourists.  The ones that can't get home due to flight cancellations.  They should just rent a condo for a month.  Plenty around, most fully furnished.   

14 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Isnt pattaya shutdown??

It pretty much is, but there were tourists that came here when it wasn't shut down, and despite warnings, either prior to coming here and / or whilst they were here, failed to cancel their holiday, or cut short their holiday, and evacuate. They are now stuck here for the foreseeable future.

With no end in sight, I suggest a monthly rental condo is a better option than a hotel, if there are any hotels remaining open.  A condo would also be better for self isolation.   

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

It pretty much is, but there were tourists that came here when it wasn't shut down, and despite warnings, either prior to coming here and / or whilst they were here, failed to cancel their holiday, or cut short their holiday, and evacuate. They are now stuck here for the foreseeable future.

With no end in sight, I suggest a monthly rental condo is a better option than a hotel, if there are any hotels remaining open.  A condo would also be better for self isolation.   

At least in a decent hotel you'd have a restaurant that would be open to residents. If you had to self-isolate you could get room service. Moving into a condo when you don't have any transport and no reserve of food and drink, just in case the worst happens, could prove to be a lot more difficult, though as you say condos are generally larger than hotel rooms so it would be a better place to self-isolate or stay if a 24-hour curfew comes into effect. As usual, there are pros and cons.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Moving into a condo when you don't have any transport and no reserve of food and drink, just in case the worst happens, could prove to be a lot more difficult,

Nah, Grab and Food Panda will sort all your food requirements.

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Like who? I'm from the UK and could have got a flight out last week. More difficult for people to get home but not impossible.

Edited by DannyCarlton

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

At least in a decent hotel you'd have a restaurant that would be open to residents. If you had to self-isolate you could get room service. Moving into a condo when you don't have any transport and no reserve of food and drink, just in case the worst happens, could prove to be a lot more difficult, though as you say condos are generally larger than hotel rooms so it would be a better place to self-isolate or stay if a 24-hour curfew comes into effect. As usual, there are pros and cons.

I think renting a condo would make you more self sufficient, and ease some worry bout if or when your hotel may shut down. 

Yes, you would need to do a big grocery shop, but after that, you can bunker down, if it gets to that. 

There's also the matter of cost.  Many of these people should be back home, and back to work.  They may not be able to afford an extended hotel stay. 

A good hotel would be nice, but it depends how long someone is stuck here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Like who? I'm from the UK and could have got a flight out last week. More difficult for people to get home but not impossible.

Like these people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/articles/stranded-british-travellers-thailand/

Quote:  "Many other similar messages have appeared on the British Embassy's UK in Thailand Facebook page, with people criticising airlines, such as Qatar Airways, for inflating prices – one poster claimed that one-way tickets for a family of four with the Middle Eastern carrier were showing at over £10,000."

Being able to get home is one thing.  Being able to afford to get home is another thing. 

• Like 1

As for hotel prices changing. Knowing Thai business logic they often put the prices up. It will be very interesting to see what happens when everything gets back to some normality.

Will the hotels be cheaper or my suspicion more expensive.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, Grab and Food Panda will sort all your food requirements.

I must have missed the government announcement that food delivery services would be exempt from the 24-hour curfew, lol.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Like these people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/articles/stranded-british-travellers-thailand/

Quote:  "Many other similar messages have appeared on the British Embassy's UK in Thailand Facebook page, with people criticising airlines, such as Qatar Airways, for inflating prices – one poster claimed that one-way tickets for a family of four with the Middle Eastern carrier were showing at over £10,000."

Being able to get home is one thing.  Being able to afford to get home is another thing. 

I think that article might have a whole thread to itself with it almost unanimous that the folk that are stuck can't have been trying very hard.

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

I think that article might have a whole thread to itself with it almost unanimous that the folk that are stuck can't have been trying very hard.

Sure, initially, there would have been some people not trying too hard, but now the place has shut down, people want out.  The party has stopped and they want to go home.  ????