British travellers left stranded in Thailand accuse airlines of cashing in on COVID-19 crisis

webfact

British travellers left stranded in Thailand accuse airlines of cashing in on COVID-19 crisis

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: REUTERS/Carlos Barria

British travellers in Thailand struggling to return home due to the COVID-19 pandemic have accused airlines of cashing in by charging extortionate prices for flights.

Travellers also said that some airlines were charging hefty fees to amend existing bookings, while others said that airlines were refusing to issue refunds for cancelled flights.

Earlier this week, a British woman revealed she had to pay almost  £5,000 to fly back to the UK from Bangkok after her original flight, which cost just £1,300, was cancelled.

Another British couple told a local news site in the UK that they are currently stranded in Phuket after their £5,000 flight was cancelled, not once but twice.

While embassy staff work round the clock to help Brits left stranded in Thailand, over on the UK in Thailand Facebook page, there are numerous messages from travellers criticising airlines and accusing them of price gouging.

One poster said that Emirates refused to issue a refund, saying they could only give her travel vouchers once the airline began running again. 

Another poster explained that while he could not get a flight, he also had the issue of his passport being almost full. 

I cant get a commercial flight from Thailand because Emirates have my money and my passport is nearly full.What can I do? I have 2 young kids with me I cant make an extension with a nearly full passport and cant make a new passport since the agency is closed.

Another poster complained of the amount Qatar was offering for an economy ticket:

I looked at Qatar Airways the other day for LHR. 175,000 baht one way. Taking 35 hours. Terrible. We will get you home is Qatar Airways strap line. Yes, at a price only movie stars can afford. 175,000 baht- economy!

KLM was also accused of hiking up prices:

Klm have no flights available until 13th April and then its £10000 for 2 adults, and 2 babies.

Meanwhile, another poster who had recently returned to the UK claimed there were still plenty of seats available on her flight, suggesting that many tickets had gone unsold.

We arrived back at Heathrow this morning on Qatar airways flights from Phukett then Doha. Neither flight was full- I counted at least 25 empty seats in economy and most business class were empty.

But one poster offered a glimmer of hope for people still wanting to return to the UK:

I got one yesterday (Manchester) for 16000 baht, 17 hrs, with Qatar.flying on April 9th .. So the cheaper ones in Economy are there.

And a search by Thaivisa this morning revealed that some airlines - including Eva Air still appeared to have reasonably priced flights back to the UK available. 

91592309_2606713949572611_7548309545597009920_n.png

For anyone still wanting to return to the UK from Thailand, the official advice from the British Embassy in Bangkok is go as soon as possible.

British nationals who are still in Thailand but who want to fly back to the UK are urged to register with the embassy as per the instructions below:

✉️ [email protected]

International travel is becoming more difficult with the closure of land borders and further restrictions are being introduced daily. We are working to find solutions to this.

If you need to return to the UK but can’t, you can help by sending us the info below:

✅Full name

✅Date of birth

✅Passport number

✅Contact email and telephone number

✅Location and nearest airport

✅Date of entry into Thailand

✅Specific needs e.g. if you are taking medication or have young children.

Each day, the Embassy also releases details of airlines that are still offering flights from Thailand to the UK.

Here is the latest flight information for 1 April 2020.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-02
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Checked again. EVA nonstop. 29.245k tomorrow, 22.655k on April 5 and 7.

Quit whining!

eva 3 weekly direct around 22,000thb for a flight in April, dropping to 13,000 in may

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Checked again. EVA nonstop. 29.245k tomorrow, 22.655k on April 5 and 7.

Quit whining!

I came back with them last week, 28th, and there people in the check in queue bleating on about paying over £5,000 for their seats last minute. There will still empty seats on the plane. 
It’s hard to know if they were telling the truth as there are so many drama queens around. 

In the swampy sub forum I have posted a number of threads regarding the flight status of several airlines using BKK. This is just about scheduled flights being operated and will be updated when the airlines post changes.

With regards european flights in general taking EVA, as an example, they fly empty to TPE-BKK no passengers. BKK-LHR passengers. LHR-TPE direct so probably empty. I suspect they will stop this flight soon. 

The real problem came when Emirates and to a lesser extent Thai and Etihad stop flying. Large numbers of people would have been booked on these flights and this is the problem. I'm surprised that BA was not mandated to or at least had their flights subsidised by the government for flying for another week or 2. They could have put a B747 on the route and the backlog would have gone down much quicker. It would have been easy for people to have gotten back to BKK to link up to the flight.

There are some flights back to Frankfurt on Condor. Some of the flights go on to Bali. I have seen TUI flights this week for places like Manchester and Helsinki, these may have been existing flights. 

• Like 1

Got to cover the cost of flying the plane, salaries to staff and fuel etc. If you are carrying so few passangers the price has to go up, Its simple business economics. Cant expect the airline to pay to get you home, just because you didnt have the sense to stay put in the first place..

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sweatalot said:

they have to confront that the price they would pay under normal conditions is valid under normal conditions. 

Now they expect the airlines to fly when the ticket prices are far from covering the costs for their travel. Try gofundme. 

Gosh, how incredibly understanding of you, do you work for an airline? I don't care about the poor airlines profitability , I think they have a responsibility to get people home. ABTA is supposed to protect people from things like this but there is probably some clause that gets them off the hook. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Reminds me of the Icelandic volcano incident. 
I was in Milan at the time and my flight back to the UK was cancelled. So after a while I just went to Hertz to get a car to drive home 

I thought I’d ask some other people who were on my flight if they wanted to join me/chip in, but no.

all they wanted to do was stand around moaning and complaining to Alitalia staff like they had a magic plane that would take them home.

I know someone who was stranded in Ohio after 9-11.  He went to rent a car, and ended up with a moving truck for a 450 mile one way.  Was the only thing available.