Koh Samui and the virus: What happens to stranded tourists if hotels are ordered to shut?

webfact

Koh Samui and the virus: What happens to stranded tourists if hotels are ordered to shut?

7pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Manager reported that tourism on Koh Samui is completely devastated by coronavirus. 

Locals wanted to shout out that the island is not in lock down and only two foreigners have tested positive.

And not a single Thai is infected on one of Thailand's foremost holiday paradises. 

But the facts speak for themselves. 

About 80% of hotels have shut down and sent their staff home. 

The 1% of tourists that are left are scattered about various hotels. Many of these are stranded in Thailand. 

Operators at a crisis meeting at a Bo Phut university campus on the island wanted the government to announce what they are supposed to do with them if and when hotels are ordered to close. 

Source: Manager Online

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-02
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

When I go shopping for food at Tesco Lamai I still see a lot of foreigners!

They are probably local residents and not tourists, and have their own home to go back to.

Why not do like Singapore and keep one hotel open for stranded Tourists, close the rest down?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

And not a single Thai is infected on one of Thailand's foremost holiday paradises????

2 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Scratched my head while reading this, only 2 foreigners. No one else infected. So its not so contagious after all. What is everyone worried about.????

Be careful what you wish for. From another thread

2 hours ago, churchill said:

Koh Samui Hospital Announcement of strict control measures
Prevent COVID-19 after finding the 3rd patient

91221914_3166029133432060_5558938414155300864_n.jpg

Thai community news is saying that it's a doctor, though they haven't said from which hospital, according to my wife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Lots and lots of places for rent on Samui. Low season combined with Covid means prices are likely lower than ever. With or without the hotels this will not be an issue for anyone. 

However, this will be a huge issue for millions, who were employed in the tourism sector, many making just enough to live, with no savings. And since a total lockdown has never been done before, what are the expectations for a recovery in the tourism sector? Does anyone think it will just "bounce back" to 38 million arrivals? I for one believe tourism will never be the same here. Perhaps a total of 11 million arrivals in 2020 and a slowdown to 20-25 million arrivals in 2021 and 2022. After that it is anyone's guess. The industry is decimated. And not just Covid. It was in a slow decline already, for a dozen good reasons. 

Expect a real spike in unemployment here that will last for years. 

Agree, there are lots of accommodation available on Samui and Phangan right now, and also some at almost cost price, as some resort owners just try to survive, and not loose everything.

I think that "recovery in the tourism sector" is not only for Thailand, but for many countries around the World; it might take some time to recover as many people are, or will be, hit financially, and therefore forced to skip a holiday trip or two.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

This is really getting my goat today,just about every story points the finger at or emphasises foreigners,like it is us who have given it to them,makes me feel angry.

Huh,i bet that guy who gave me a hard time when i was talking about them making a monk,and sharing bottles of hong tong is grinning on the other side of his teeth now.

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

This is really getting my goat today,just about every story points the finger at or emphasises foreigners,like it is us who have given it to them,makes me feel angry.

In fact if i could use my daily mail handle of 'disgruntled of Cheam' i would that's how angry i am!!!!!

8 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Yes indeed,  possibly instructed to do so by that idiot Anutin!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Scratched my head while reading this, only 2 foreigners. No one else infected. So its not so contagious after all. What is everyone worried about.????

Those two foreigners must be among those "dirty farang" as so wisely mentioned by no-one else than the land's minister of health. Proves him right, it seems ......... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have any areas ordered their hotels to close -or are they voluntarily closing from lack of business?

so far they only closed due to lack of business and not ordered.

it will be interesting to see how they treat staff, I understand that for small hotels without cashflow it will be impossible to pay staff. However, 5 star places letting people go on unpaid leave after a month only is despicable. Would expect a bit more loyalty to especially their low paid workers. The "we operate in a social responsible way" phrases they all use in their advertising clearly is no more than just PR.

One to remember in the far future when friends will come back and asking for hotel recommendation. I am sure there will be exceptions who will do the right thing and hopefully karma will apply.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, huberthammer said:

it will be interesting to see how they treat staff, I understand that for small hotels without cashflow it will be impossible to pay staff. However, 5 star places letting people go on unpaid leave after a month only is despicable.

Staff with Social Security, i.e. from larger resorts and compaies, will be paid unemployment support. People without any source of support, i.e. staff from for example small resorts and self-employed, can seek for a 5,000 monthly support from the government, so far for 3 month; some 4 million have used that possibility according to news articles a few days ago.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:01 PM, Canuck1966 said:

And not a single Thai is infected on one of Thailand's foremost holiday paradises????

And should a Thai become infected, then every remaining farang on the island will be suspected of being a dirty, Covid carrier and will become a target.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:27 PM, marko kok prong said:

And all foreigners, especially from European decent, are set up to be the whipping boys and scapegoats for all infections on the Island as well as the mainland.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1