BANGKOK
webfact

Koh Samui and the virus: What happens to stranded tourists if hotels are ordered to shut?

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

This is really getting my goat today,just about every story points the finger at or emphasises foreigners,like it is us who have given it to them,makes me feel angry.

Huh,i bet that guy who gave me a hard time when i was talking about them making a monk,and sharing bottles of hong tong is grinning on the other side of his teeth now.

If they would have left when their government told them to get home ASAP they wouldn’t have an issue.

no pity here.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

This is really getting my goat today,just about every story points the finger at or emphasises foreigners,like it is us who have given it to them,makes me feel angry.

In fact if i could use my daily mail handle of 'disgruntled of Cheam' i would that's how angry i am!!!!!

8 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Yes indeed,  possibly instructed to do so by that idiot Anutin!!

• Like 1

Have any areas ordered their hotels to close -or are they voluntarily closing from lack of business?

15 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Scratched my head while reading this, only 2 foreigners. No one else infected. So its not so contagious after all. What is everyone worried about.😂

Those two foreigners must be among those "dirty farang" as so wisely mentioned by no-one else than the land's minister of health. Proves him right, it seems ......... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have any areas ordered their hotels to close -or are they voluntarily closing from lack of business?

so far they only closed due to lack of business and not ordered.

it will be interesting to see how they treat staff, I understand that for small hotels without cashflow it will be impossible to pay staff. However, 5 star places letting people go on unpaid leave after a month only is despicable. Would expect a bit more loyalty to especially their low paid workers. The "we operate in a social responsible way" phrases they all use in their advertising clearly is no more than just PR.

One to remember in the far future when friends will come back and asking for hotel recommendation. I am sure there will be exceptions who will do the right thing and hopefully karma will apply.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, huberthammer said:

it will be interesting to see how they treat staff, I understand that for small hotels without cashflow it will be impossible to pay staff. However, 5 star places letting people go on unpaid leave after a month only is despicable.

Staff with Social Security, i.e. from larger resorts and compaies, will be paid unemployment support. People without any source of support, i.e. staff from for example small resorts and self-employed, can seek for a 5,000 monthly support from the government, so far for 3 month; some 4 million have used that possibility according to news articles a few days ago.

Hopefully Samui will return to its former glory of 20 years ago..all the new backpackers can squat in the abandoned beach front hotels, playing guitars around campfires...be great

• Haha 1

If Koh Samui sinks into the ocean

Like the mystics and statistics say it will

I bet your hotel will stay floating

Until you pay your bill!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 1:01 PM, Canuck1966 said:

And not a single Thai is infected on one of Thailand's foremost holiday paradises🤣

And should a Thai become infected, then every remaining farang on the island will be suspected of being a dirty, Covid carrier and will become a target.

On 4/2/2020 at 1:27 PM, marko kok prong said:

And all foreigners, especially from European decent, are set up to be the whipping boys and scapegoats for all infections on the Island as well as the mainland.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1