Thai Airways grounds flights for two months

webfact

Thai Airways grounds flights for two months

By The Nation

800_aa743c3c06397bc.jpg?v=1585804613

Thai Airways International Plc will stop flying for two months.

The company has asked employees to take two months off from April 4 to May 31. Along with this, staff salaries will be reduced by 10-50 per cent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385261

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-02

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

there is a really good hint in this story as to how long this is virus lock down going to last.

and this is only April 2nd.

The lockdown and most social distancing measures in Thailand could easily be here for the whole of 2020- that's realistic thinking based on quarter of a million expected deaths in the US over the next 2 weeks in a best case scenario. Anyone hoping bars, shops etc will be allowed to open before July in Thailand will be disappointed.  

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let's hope the highest paid get 50% less and the lowest paid 10% less

Yes e.g. all Captains are in the 50% group. In reality it is more than 50% as that applies only to salary and when not flying all the allowances go to zero. A junior cabin crew might see their income cut by 70-80%.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

2 months is just a stab in the dark. They have no idea – nor anyone else – as to how long this will last.

Very true, and thats the really scary part for airlines.

Now, TG isn't a real commercial enterprise, if it was it would have been bankrupt and shut up shop several years ago.

Thats the reason it's kept going longer than most of the commercial airline industry.

For most of them, the reality of this whole awful situation is that you burn cash really really fast in an industry that works at the best of times with razor thin margins.

Thats why most of them very quickly moved to slash routes and park up aircraft. Most major airports now just look like like enormous aircraft parking lots.

We'll have to wait and see where this all ends up, but it will be the death knell for quite a few airlines.

Whether TG is in that list, I sincerely doubt it, it will endure in it's own weird Lala land 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrwinner said:

The lockdown and most social distancing measures in Thailand could easily be here for the whole of 2020- that's realistic thinking based on quarter of a million expected deaths in the US over the next 2 weeks in a best case scenario. Anyone hoping bars, shops etc will be allowed to open before July in Thailand will be disappointed.  

I have been saying September, that was my optimistic guess but there could still be flare ups until this time next year. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The company has asked employees to take two months off from April 4 to May 31. Along with this, staff salaries will be reduced by 10-50 per cent.

Saving the company, finally.

And will they do anything because of Covid 19? 

This is a decision that was taken almost a month ago. When I tried to re-book my ticket through a Scandinavian TG office 7th of March, they told me about the shut-down of flights in April/May.

Now the earliest ticket to Copenhagen is the 27th of June, but let's see if that's possible in a couple of months.....

5 hours ago, mrwinner said:

Edited 5 hours ago by mrwinner

Please note that the "typical seasonal flu", which happens EVERY YEAR has a dead-rate between 290'000 - 650'000 with estimated infections of over 1 billion!

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 1:31 PM, mrwinner said:

Just wondering where is the data for 250,000 deaths in the US in the next two weeks coming from? 

And a best case senerio to boot. 

Edited by AKJeff

1 hour ago, AKJeff said:

Just wondering where is the data for 250,000 deaths in the US in the next two weeks coming from? 

And a best case senerio to boot. 

In the White House briefing Dr's Fauci & Birx said the estimates for deaths in the US was 100K-240K in the best case scenario

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/31/coronavirus-latest-news/

21 hours ago, Pesche said:

Please note that the "typical seasonal flu", which happens EVERY YEAR has a dead-rate between 290'000 - 650'000 with estimated infections of over 1 billion!

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_pandemic

Yes the flu might have these numbers as you say every year, but with this new COVID-19 virus, we will have the same estimated number of dead from the COVID virus in just a weeks, so really, the "This is just the Flu Crowd" needs to jump on another sinking platform.

Air travel or any type of international and maybe domestic travel is going to be hit  or miss with Air lines as this thing plays out.  So as my former partner would say when he was driving for the shift, Sit Down, Shut up, and Hold on. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

51 minutes ago, AKJeff said:

Okay, I had read that before.  So best case senerio is 100,000 deaths over multiple months not 250,000 in two weeks. 

Yes, the quote 100-240K over the next couple of months, not weeks.

Even so, thats pretty bleak reading

Being curious, I’ve just done a test purchase on my Thai airlines app for an economy flight in December 2020 for about a month. Travelling from LHR-BKK.

Was surprised that they were asking £968

The cost my most recent return flight this year was just over £400.

if Thai airlines continue asking this amount, I will not be paying it.

• Thanks 1