Germans lift off from Phuket ahead of airport shutdown

webfact

Germans lift off from Phuket ahead of airport shutdown

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1585800921_1-org.jpg

Check-in took two hours before the flight lifted off at 10:10am. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: About 250 people departed Phuket this morning on a special flight organised to take German nationals home on board Condor Airlines flight DE8759, which lifted off at 10:10am.

Phuket International Airport General Manager Thanee Chuangchoo said that people wanting to board the flight started queuing up at the check-in counters at 6:20am.

German embassy staff and airline staff checked travel documents and provided passenger information before check-in opened at 7:10am. Check-in staff took two hours to clear all passengers boarding the flight, Mr Thanee said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/germans-lift-off-from-phuket-ahead-of-airport-shutdown-75544.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-02

10 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You would have to arrange how to get to your home from Germany but that should be much easier than trying to get a flight from here.

If one can trust the table there is still a surprising number of flights from FRA to destinations in Europe.

https://www.airport-fra.com/frankfurt-departures

(and first flight today, Condor to Phuket, empty outbound I assume ????)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Here's some important info for Germans who need a consular certificate: 

To issue a consular certificate to extend your Thai visa, please email [email protected] with the subject: “Visa extension”.

We ONLY need a copy of the data page (personal details) of the German passport.

With this consular certificate you can apply for an extension of your visa with the responsible Thai immigration.

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

As a German I am happy to hear that the German government is trying to help people that are stranded to get back home.

I would also like people (especially Europeans) from other nationalities to know that Germany allows others to book these flights if there are available seats. You would have to arrange how to get to your home from Germany but that should be much easier than trying to get a flight from here.

You can book these special flights via https://www.condor.com

The latest scheduled flights from Phuket to Frankfurt (flight number DE8759) can be seen at: https://www.condor.com/eu/flight-preparation/travel-advice/latest-travel-updates.jsp

Please consider that from April 10th the airport of Phuket will be locked down and it is not clear if any special flights will be allowed to depart from that moment on. And since the land and sea ways are also locked down you'll be stuck in Phuket for better or worse.

It is no longer so easy to get away from Germany. 

25 minutes ago, Letseng said:

It is no longer so easy to get away from Germany. 

Yes travel there is also restricted but the airports are still open as far as I know. Flying inside EU is surely easier than trying to find a flight from Thailand to your home country. But as always, planning and checking before commiting is a good idea.

• Like 1

I left a few weeks ago and came back to New Zealand. But honestly, I would prefer to  be on Phuket right now. Numbers are going up here day by day, also lockdown and a useless government which are letting another 4000 Kiwis in this week trusting on them to self isolate! It's like believing in Father Christmas. These are people who LIVE overseas so they will have to stay with friends of families... what a great way to spread COVID-19!

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

No more flights available, according to their website.

Seems like maybe the flights from Phuket are booked out. Last last chance is to grab a flight to BKK and fly from there. Still available.