Bangkok Immigration Temporary Office

4 hours ago, Finlaco said:

Application must contact again in person'.  My extension ends April 7 and like most today was expecting April 7 + 30 days.

Your ' common sense ' does not apply here ...

In times of a Pandemic where people are advised to ' self isolate ' , they are still forced to queue up at immigration ?

Should be granted an amnesty because stuck here ... Other neighboring  countries do that , but not Thailand .

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the report, I hope you can answer a couple of quick questions:

1.  Did you see a carpark area for those that are driving?  (we will have a car)

2.  How large were the queues by opening time (8:00 am).  We must bring our 4-yr old boy (for his own extension) and going at 5:00 am is not feasible.

3. To your knowledge were the "emergency" extensions queuing in the same line as the regular extensions?  We only need a regular.

Appreciate any response from the OP or anyone else that has been to the temp office in that last day or two.  We had hoped to avoid this mess after the announcement from MFA indicating automatic extensions, but alas this seems to be fake news so we have no option but to go by Monday.

Edited by eppic

4 hours ago, eppic said:

@epic

1. Yes.  Once the gate opens at 6am, you can drive right to the building.

2. Opening time is 8:30.  I can only offer a very weak guess at 200.  On our floor 100 and others directed to queue on floor above.

3. Yes.

Monday is a public holiday and immigration will be closed.

As the day gets hotter and ur queue without fan or Aircon, earlier would be better with a kid.  Try to find a sympathetic IO and see if u can move up the queue.

Any other questions, just ask

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Finlaco said:

@epic

1. Yes.  Once the gate opens at 6am, you can drive right to the building.

2. Opening time is 8:30.  I can only offer a very weak guess at 200.  On our floor 100 and others directed to queue on floor above.

3. Yes.

Monday is a public holiday and immigration will be closed.

As the day gets hotter and ur queue without fan or Aircon, earlier would be better with a kid.  Try to find a sympathetic IO and see if u can move up the queue.

Any other questions, just ask

What documents were you required to submit ??

For those extending with young child: I extended my 1-year-old son and my stay at MTT last week. Got there at 6:30. (Suggest getting there by 6:00.) Although you have to wait outside under an awning (coming early enough gets you seats under the awning, otherwise you stand in the sun as it comes up), when they open for processing (@8:00), an officer will (or should) come take you to a priority area (for those with young children/elderly/frail/injured, and you'll be among the first let in and processed--before they have the rest of the people (with numbers) come in. Was done by 9:30 a.m. The main issue to be aware of now is whether MTT will begin ask for the extra documentation (and landlord's presence) mentioned in the thread: "Nine separate documents are now required."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smooth said:

For those extending with young child: I extended my 1-year-old son and my stay at MTT last week. Got there at 6:30. (Suggest getting there by 6:00.) Although you have to wait outside under an awning (coming early enough gets you seats under the awning, otherwise you stand in the sun as it comes up), when they open for processing (@8:00), an officer will (or should) come take you to a priority area (for those with young children/elderly/frail/injured, and you'll be among the first let in and processed--before they have the rest of the people (with numbers) come in. Was done by 9:30 a.m. The main issue to be aware of now is whether MTT will begin ask for the extra documentation (and landlord's presence) mentioned in the thread: "Nine separate documents are now required."

You said "whether".  So were you asked to provide those Nine documents? And what type of visa did you have prior to extending?

Just a quick question about the normal extension for a 60 day SETV. I entered on Feb 9 and my normal +30 day extension is on April 9, so do I just follow the process as usual. I mean just go to CW with my passport+photocopy and one photo or should I expect some surprises?

I'm of course hoping all this nonsense would stop before that and we would all get automatic extensions or an online option. Like most of us here in the forum, I'm not up for going to the immigration to fool around and risk anything. If the immigration is still operating normally next week, can I use an agent (or hire someone else) to do my extension. Never done this so I'm wondering if someone could tell me how that might work?  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

@Finlaco and @cauchy, thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

This is an extremely stressful time and since Bangkok Post "kindly" shared the information about insane document requirements as though it was required by all immigration departments, I have been pretty flipping stressed about going next week.

Thanks as well to @ubonjoe for starting another thread and commenting regularly to answer people's questions.

It's incredibly helpful for people to share their experiences and what was asked of them here and I realise that you have zero obligation to do so.

Hard to fully explain how much this means to other desperate travelers (many of whom are solo travelers and therefore are in complete isolation during this period).  Because we are online, there is not a lot people can do to express thanks (no doubt if this information was given in person you would be able to see relieved looks on peoples' faces and receive warm thanks, hand shakes and pats on the back), so I want to make it very clear to you that you are having a very positive impact on peoples' lives simply by contributing here.

Thank you again.

Yes! Kudos to those who are taking the time to post their experience here. It does help calm the nerves for those of us who are anticipating our next visit to immigration.  One thing I am curious about, which we won't know until the last week of April, for those who get the "under consideration" stamp, what happens when they come back to the office on the scheduled "return" date?
1) Get approved with 30 days from the original application date? Some folks had their under consideration return date fall 28 days from when they first applied. This would only give them 2 days to come back in and repeat the process if they needed an additional extension.
2) Get approved with 30 days from the "under consideration" date?  That would help remove some stress of going back and forth to immigration.

If 1, then a person conceivably would be visiting immigration 3-4 times in a month. That is hellish.

If 2, it would reduce that to perhaps 3-4 times in 6 weeks, a little bit better, though still not ideal.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

14 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

I think one person said that the IO they saw said something like "you will need another letter next month".

As you say, if we got say 20 days, then 10 days visiting twice each month, it would be quite a pain.

I wonder if they are using that stamp as they really have no other stamp to use and they will allow another 20 or so days with the same stamp when you go again.  I'm sure those that go for a second emergency extension will be taking all the normal forms, plus a "new" letter from their embassy.

Reports from BKK immigration would at least seem to suggest that, as long as you have the correct documents, it is being treated similarly to the regular extension.  (I.e. queue up, check forms, pay, get stamp, go.)

Fingers crossed that if the circumstances don't change it will remain this way.  If we have to go once every 20 days until things return to normal without too much fuss, it's not too bad given the situation.

Edited by BangkokReady

@audaciousnomad 

The usual. No additional photocopies

- Passport detail page

- Copy of visa and entry stamp

- Copy of TM card

- 1 Photo

Cos I was using a letter from my Embassy

- Original Embassy letter (they kept it)

- Copy of my previous extension of my Visa Exempt

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Fingers crossed that if the circumstances don't change it will remain this way.  If we have to go once every 20 days until things return to normal without too much fuss, it's not too bad given the situation.

Except...it is not once every 20 days.(depending on what we see reported from the first ones to come back on their appointed dates towards the end of April.)
Example:
1. *FIRST VISIT* Person came in on 26-Mar. Completed the process, got the Under Consideration stamp with instructions to return on 22-April *FIRST VISIT*
2. *SECOND VISIT* Person comes back on 22-April, gets the APPROVED stamp with a Stay Until date (possibly 25-April, if immig counts 30 days from 26-Mar from step one.
3. *THIRD VISIT* Person would need to come back on 25-April to avoid overstay, and repeat the extension process again with letter in hand, 1900baht, etc. Then they would get another Under Consideration stamp to return again sometime in middle of May.
4. *FOURTH VISIT* Middle of May.

You see where this is going?  That is 4 visits in a month and a half. Might as well camp out right next to immigration office if this is how it will be handled moving forward.  Now if in STEP 2 above, they grant 30 days from 22-April (Not 26-Mar), that would be more reasonable in terms of number of times a person will have to return to that office per month.  

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

@Finlaco and @cauchy, thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

I echo this sentiment, very much appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Finlaco said:

Monday is a public holiday and immigration will be closed

Ouch, didn't know this.   We delayed getting an extension after seeing the bogus MFA announcement that specifically tells people arriving after March 1st "no need to queue for extension".  WRONG.  Our exemption stamp expires Monday, so it appears our family will be on overstay (not to mention especially massive queues because of the 3 day weekend) when applying Tuesday and subject to fine of 3x500.  Hopefully, won't affect the actual extension.

I went to MTT for 1st 30 day extension with 2 kids under 5 year old. 

Document:

1. Passport + copy

2. TM6 + copy

3. recent photo 4x6

4. TM7 form

5. embassy letter

6. cash THB 1900

We come through at 1pm, ask the IO if there is special lane for families, that guys not sure. Its located on car park where no lift so we need to fold the pram and climb the stair. At the end we queue to same lane with others. In front of us about 200 people, take 2.5 hour to get our turn and wait another 30 minutes to get the passport back. They give us full 30 day extension.

This journey really exhausting especially for the kids, i hope our flight re-open soon so we will not experience the same nightmare again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pervaud said:

I went to MTT for 1st 30 day extension with 2 kids under 5 year old. 

Document:

1. Passport + copy

2. TM6 + copy

3. recent photo 4x6

4. TM7 form

5. embassy letter

6. cash THB 1900

We come through at 1pm, ask the IO if there is special lane for families, that guys not sure. Its located on car park where no lift so we need to fold the pram and climb the stair. At the end we queue to same lane with others. In front of us about 200 people, take 2.5 hour to get our turn and wait another 30 minutes to get the passport back. They give us full 30 day extension.

For the first extension, was an embassy letter really needed? I thought the embassy letter was only a requirement when you do not qualify for an extension under normal circumstances.

• Like 1