Thailand announces 104 new COVID-19 cases, total of 505 patients now discharged

webfact

Three patients die as 104 new cases confirmed in Thailand (Updated)

By The Nation

800_a85c24a9811ec4b.jpg?v=1585807506

The government reported 104 new Covid-19 infections and three more deaths on Thursday (April 2), raising the total number of cases recorded nationwide to 1,875 with 15 deaths.

The cases could be divided into three groups, said Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

The first group of 60 are “cluster” cases of infections that began at a boxing match in a Bangkok stadium, Bangkok entertainment venues, and a religious ceremony in Indonesia.

The second group comprises 36 people, 14 of whom had just returned from overseas (11 Thais and three foreigners) and passed the infection on to others, including two close contacts and two medical staff.

The third group of eight are still being investigated to find the source of infection.

Meanwhile, 89 patients have recovered and returned home.

The three new victims comprise a 57-year-old man who died after taking a southbound train from Bangkok, a 77-year-old man with emphysema and diabetes who was in close contact with a Covid-19 patient in Patthani, and a 55-year-old male driver at

Suvarnabhumi airport who was admitted to hospital on March 18 after returning from a family visit to Surin.

Of the total 1,875 confirmed cases, 1,355 are being treated and 23 are in critical condition, while 15 have died. A total of 505 have recovered and been discharged.

200402-2.jpg

The number of known global cases has surpassed 900,000 with around 47,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385267

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-02

Thailand reports 104 new coronavirus cases, three new deaths

2020-04-02T064846Z_1_LYNXMPEG310EN_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

A volunteer wearing a face mask due to the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) gives hand gels to homeless people before they receiving food at the Wat Arun Ratchavararam in Bangkok Thailand, April 2, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 104 new coronavirus cases, bringing its total to 1,875 cases, a spokesman for the government's Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration said on Thursday.

There were three new deaths in the country, bringing the total fatalities to 15 deaths, spokesman Taweesin Wisanuyothin said.

The three new deaths, all Thai men, included a 57-year old who had pre-existing conditions of diabetes and high blood pressure.

The second new fatality was a 77-year-old who had come into contact with an infected patient, and the third case was a 55-year-old driver at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Christian Schmollinger)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-02

It seems nothing short of miraculous that the new cases can hold steady around 100 per day for such a long time, unlike other countries where they doubled about every 3 days. Perhaps this means that since the exodus transmission has moved more into the villages where they have no test kits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Australia has population ~25mill.

They have tested 260,000

How many tests have Thailand done.

Norway tested 73,000 per day before they decided not to mass test anymore three weeks ago as it had no effect. Now they currently test around 3,000 people per day, which only includes the critically ill, people in risk groups and people in critical work positions (medical staff etc). Norway also only hospitalize the once who needs help. Everyone else are in self-quarantine, everything non-essential is closed, people stay home, nor do anyone else get tested despite having symptoms.

Hasn't it dawned on you yet? Small number of confirmations = small number of tests as the likely cause. Anyone surprised? Let's look at life in the UK ... hmm, anyone telling porky pies over there about the availability of the reagents that go into testing kits? How about the USA where the leader of the free world told us the he knows more about South Korea than anyone but then it turns out that he thinks Elevation 38 m means the population of Soeul is 38 million. And the Australian politician who has given everything to god to sort out.

The political world is filled with people who are not fit to shine our shoes but the world keeps on turning.

In the English language briefing in Bangkok today, they said 25,000 test kits had been handed over. Unless these people are corruptly paranoid, I am sure we all agree that the number of confirmed cases will increase from next week. Many more kits to follow, too.

Stay safe and stay sane, everyone. Don't worry about the numbers, worry about the things that matter most to you and your family.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, todlad said:

Hasn't it dawned on you yet? Small number of confirmations = small number of tests as the likely cause. Anyone surprised?

Not surprised at all..no testing = no virus and so the (Chinese) tourists could still come and "save" the tourist industry !!!!   

43 minutes ago, HOAX said:

Norway tested 73,000 per day before they decided not to mass test anymore three weeks ago as it had no effect. Now they currently test around 3,000 people per day, which only includes the critically ill, people in risk groups and people in critical work positions (medical staff etc). Norway also only hospitalize the once who needs help. Everyone else are in self-quarantine, everything non-essential is closed, people stay home, nor do anyone else get tested despite having symptoms.

So, is Norway a good example to follow? Or South Korea who proved mass testing is the only way to stop the virus, as the enemy becomes visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, todlad said:

Hasn't it dawned on you yet? Small number of confirmations = small number of tests as the likely cause. Anyone surprised? Let's look at life in the UK ... hmm, anyone telling porky pies over there about the availability of the reagents that go into testing kits? How about the USA where the leader of the free world told us the he knows more about South Korea than anyone but then it turns out that he thinks Elevation 38 m means the population of Soeul is 38 million. And the Australian politician who has given everything to god to sort out.

The political world is filled with people who are not fit to shine our shoes but the world keeps on turning.

In the English language briefing in Bangkok today, they said 25,000 test kits had been handed over. Unless these people are corruptly paranoid, I am sure we all agree that the number of confirmed cases will increase from next week. Many more kits to follow, too.

Stay safe and stay sane, everyone. Don't worry about the numbers, worry about the things that matter most to you and your family.

Perhaps the 25,000 test kits, presumably in the shipment of aid from China, are already on their way to another country at the hands of our entrepreneurial politicians and bureaucrats.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeNata said:

Only in Thailand: the virus has stopped having an exponential increase. It has "thailandized" itself, becoming unique and rejecting foreign standards.

how many times do need to be told

Thailand keeps coming out with these figures of the number of confirmed infections ....................THE IMPORTANT MISSING INFORMATION ...................................

.........................HOW MANY ACTUAL TESTS DID THEY CARRY OUT..................................

If they said we tested 100 people and 100 people had the virus - WHAT WOULD THAT TELL YOU 

This is becoming more personal now that a Thai acquaintance has died of COVID.  Friends abroad are also circulating news of people known to them who have died of it.   A friend in Bangkok called to say that an ambulance came to his apartment building to cart of someone critically ill with it. 

• Like 1

Since there is very limited testing and official numbers are blatantly untrustworthy, we will only know it has really taken off when we hear that hospitals are being overwhelmed with critical cases. 

This may happen with a time lag in villages since they don't have any test kits in tambon hospitals and won't be able to report confirmed cases. However,  with exponential increases in the numbers of critical cases presenting it would only tale a few days to overwhelm the limited numbers of ICU beds in Isaan for instance.  The small tambon hospitals would have to take care of them as best they could in open wards without test kits and with untested infected doctors and nurses. 

Where has the health minister been the last few days?  His earlier  performances have have even rivaled Dominic Raab's ministerial COVID briefing in the UK where he stood there licking his fingers and spouting nonsense. 

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

how many times do need to be told

Thailand keeps coming out with these figures of the number of confirmed infections ....................THE IMPORTANT MISSING INFORMATION ...................................

.........................HOW MANY ACTUAL TESTS DID THEY CARRY OUT..................................

If they said we tested 100 people and 100 people had the virus - WHAT WOULD THAT TELL YOU 

Exactly.  They are testing more than that but it's unlikely that the positive rate is less than 10%.  That would mean no more than 15,000 tests so far and I would guess it is less than that. The detected and reported cases are probably only 2% of the total including asymptomatic spreaders which would imply a total of 75,000 cases to date. With the daily number of detected cases remaining steady the percentage of cases being detected is probably falling. By now it could be less than 2% and over 100,000 total cases.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SLG said:

Cases by area of Thailand

What is a case ????????

How is it defined ????????

How many untested Thais untreated undiagnosed have died in the last 3 months at home of viral pneumonia and how many of the dead were tested to confirm they DID NOT HAVE CV-19 

This is the very important information that will give a true accurate figure of what is really going on in Thailand, 7000 tests a month doesn't even come close 

They are in denial pushing out this nonsense that means absolutely nothing and contributes nothing to the actual true picture of infection rate and spread in this country

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lifeon said:

was talking to the misses, who said lots of cases in Thailand and going to get messy in country areas. Also said most people cant afford the 8500B fee for test (dont know of any truth in that), so they are being told they have pneumonia and get sent home with rest and drugs.

exactly and therefore never become part of the CV-19 data - I've been saying this for weeks 

No test no report

someone dies - no test no report

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Since there is very limited testing and official numbers are blatantly untrustworthy, we will only know it has really taken off when we hear that hospitals are being overwhelmed with critical cases. 

but that's just it - they won't be, how many Thais right now a sick and at home and are not tested for CV-19 and even die and are still not tested 

If anyone questions if the numbers announced are real and credible, the answer is in another thread

Prayut orders halt to arrivals from overseas to curb virus spread

You really think with those numbers such drastic measures should ever be considered

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

And they are now actively suppressing the information about pending test numbers, also after the fact by editing reports already published: 

Still want to trust their numbers?

I don't know whether you have heard of Dr Max Roser but he runs a fabulous outfit in Oxford University and just today he tweeted a message to the effect that his team's biggest job now is getting the data right. He was talking about data from all over the world, including everywhere!

You might also know that Dr Roser's team rejected the WHO's covid statistics a couple of weeks ago  because his team found mistakes in them and, despite messages from Dr Roser, they didn't correct them.

Moreover, like many people I follow the covid numbers from several sources and I have to say that it's not only in Thailand that previously published figures can change. I don't defend the practice, merely report it.

The UK just announced that its covid deaths had been under reported ... the CCDC web site in China has changed its reporting model twice in the last two weeks.

We all dream of trust and best practice. You are right to want to call everyone to account but sometimes even experts disagree and then what are the rest of us to do?

This will really only finally settle itself when the pandemic is over, I am sorry to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And they are now actively suppressing the information about pending test numbers, also after the fact by editing reports already published: 

Still want to trust their numbers?

After I posted my last message, I read an article from the USA on some Republican Party politician's view of the Chinese data. The essence of what he is saying is blah blah blah ... nasty, lying China and Trump tells it how it is.

The real message is, let the medics tell the story and stop taking any notice of a here today, gone tomorrow politician.

19 minutes ago, todlad said:

I don't know whether you have heard of Dr Max Roser but he runs a fabulous outfit in Oxford University and just today he tweeted a message to the effect that his team's biggest job now is getting the data right. He was talking about data from all over the world, including everywhere!

You might also know that Dr Roser's team rejected the WHO's covid statistics a couple of weeks ago  because his team found mistakes in them and, despite messages from Dr Roser, they didn't correct them.

Moreover, like many people I follow the covid numbers from several sources and I have to say that it's not only in Thailand that previously published figures can change. I don't defend the practice, merely report it.

The UK just announced that its covid deaths had been under reported ... the CCDC web site in China has changed its reporting model twice in the last two weeks.

We all dream of trust and best practice. You are right to want to call everyone to account but sometimes even experts disagree and then what are the rest of us to do?

This will really only finally settle itself when the pandemic is over, I am sorry to say.

Thanks, I found Roser's twitter. He is right, high quality data is essential to fighting this thing. Politicians and other assorted roadblocks must step aside. 

They didn't alter the data from MoPH as far as I can see, but they took out the pending test figures from the Thai documents. There was a large drop in them in the last one, yet no matching rise in confirmations. Logically this means they kicked people out of the testing queue by changing the criteria to get tested. It is my guess this is why they now started suppressing the information.

Or maybe they just got fed up with me yapping about them in TVF.

EDIT: Dr Roser's effort in gathering data can be seen here: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Toany said:

The figures are meaningless, unless you know how many tests were carried out

Considering they removed the break down of test numbers (positive/negative/pending) in yesterday's report I don't think we'll get much on that side.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, Guderian said:

More dodgy numbers, or are the social distancing measures actually starting to work?

Let's hope it's the latter!

According to the papers this morning, the measures in the UK have reduced R0 from 2.6 down to just 0.62, a level at which the contagion will fizzle out. I really hope that Thailand is following a similar path.

Herd Immunity in Sweden has resulted in 308 deaths so far. Lockdown and social distancing in Philippines & New Zealand 106 & 1 respectively