New quarantine orders for foreigners and Thais in Chiang Mai

Puwa

21 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Unlike on TVF where racism is an everyday occurrence, national emergency or not. 

So,  are you going to lift a finger and report messages that violate Forum rules, or just complain about them ?

~o:37;

6 hours ago, connda said:

Can you source that.  Not being cheeky but I'd like to know where you read that all drivers must wear masks in their cars.  I drive highway 11 a lot, and I don't see anything like that.  People aren't wearing masks in their cars. But I know where they set up road blocks, so if true, we'll don them before the check points. If true it's simply a ludicrous example of authoritarian over-reach bordering on utter stupidity. 

They'll probably make-up their own rules at checkpoints, so it's safer to wear a mask when approaching. Also, it's behavioural ignorance, lack of understanding and education, prevalent in this society that causes the (authoritarian) stupidity at all levels.

Regretfully, I would suggest non-Thais should keep a very low profile over the next few months. Instead of travelling, stay at home, let your carer do the shopping - and keep your fingers crossed...  

7 hours ago, connda said:

Can you source that.  Not being cheeky but I'd like to know where you read that all drivers must wear masks in their cars.  I drive highway 11 a lot, and I don't see anything like that.  People aren't wearing masks in their cars. But I know where they set up road blocks, so if true, we'll don them before the check points. If true it's simply a ludicrous example of authoritarian over-reach bordering on utter stupidity. 

Yes it is.

I've heard this rule and am driving without a mask through Chiang Mai, past policemen, nobody stopped me, it's unlikely they'll enforce it. Of course if there is a road block you could put one one to minimise the risk of enforced donations at that time.

7 hours ago, connda said:

Sure, I will try to find the origin. I've been ingesting so much news and information I sometimes can't keep track of the sources. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So it was the mandatory BS application they forced her to do and download at Suvarnabhumi giving them all her details and they said they will contact the relevant authorities to come check her out at my house.

Let us know who, if, when & how they come to check please.

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So it was the mandatory BS application they forced her to do and download at Suvarnabhumi giving them all her details and they said they will contact the relevant authorities to come check her out at my house. So this is just F n great! She has a mandatory 14 day quarantine in my house and they gonna come check and then as dominos fall make all of us stay quarantined. I am a little fuming right now she did not tell me that was happening as I would have refused her to come home here as she could have just stayed home with our other family members in BKK. So there you have it. On the other side love to have her home and the down side is there is nothing I can do now. This has supposedly been in effect for a week or so and not just now, but enforced from Bangkok and not CM. Time for a glass of scotch!

Why not stay in bkk lessen the risk to u and your family

7 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

Why not stay in bkk lessen the risk to u and your family

Because she has 3 months off from her job and we as a family need to support each other. So on one end yes you are correct and on the other end allowed her to come and pray all ok.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, samsensam said:

i dont understand the differentiation between thais and foreigners, is there some evidence that the virus behaves differently depending on race?

Foreigners have to go to immigration where they are likely to get infected

• Like 1

23 hours ago, drbeach said:

When will this madness end? Governments going on a power trip.

Anyway, stay home. Don't travel. At least not this month. If you must travel, it should be to your home country only.

I'm already there enjoying the green hills, a Bulmer's and a Jamison and the future to come. ????

8 hours ago, stephenterry said:

They'll probably make-up their own rules at checkpoints, so it's safer to wear a mask when approaching. Also, it's behavioural ignorance, lack of understanding and education, prevalent in this society that causes the (authoritarian) stupidity at all levels.

Regretfully, I would suggest non-Thais should keep a very low profile over the next few months. Instead of travelling, stay at home, let your carer do the shopping - and keep your fingers crossed...  

I asked my wife about the mandate to wear facemask in the car.  She verified it but said that I probably isn't enforced in Lamphun.  However, with the authorities poking at the verbiage indicating that a 24 hour total lockdown may be in the card, we headed into Lamphun today to stock up and groceries and pharmacy items.  The BIB checkpoint south of Lamphun on Highway 11 was manned to so pulled on masks and were waved though without fanfare.  However.  They had probably 50 vehicles pulled over at the side of the road.  They didn't blink at the farang, perhaps too busy with travellers with BKK license plates.  Anyway, we're probably good for 2 months if it comes to that.  Don't plan to be on the road much after today. 

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

How are they going to enforce this. There are probably hundreds of roads into Chiang Mai province, and for bikers thousands of trails through the jungle to get in undetected. 

Until this moment, I had never worried about infiltration by farang jungle bikers ????

~o:37;

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billy Bloggs said:

Its not just Thailand doing this most states in Australia if you go from one state to another you have to quarantine, in Queensland now if you arent a resident you cant get in, so its all over not just there

Yeah, but tell me that in Queensland the authorities at the border screen and quarantine individuals based on nothing but race. 
Authorities at Queensland border, "Aussie blok Ok, Thai Shela, off to quarantine.  She's what, your wife you say, lives in Australia for how many years?  10 years?  Sorry, not Aussie, so foreigners off to mandatory quarantine, no exceptions, chop chop."  
Do Aussie authorities screen like that?  We both know they don't.  That's the issue.  Authorities in Chiang Mai as well elsewhere do just that.  Race-based screening and quarantine.

• Like 1

In some countries such as China, you must be quarantined in specific hotels/residences and you must pay daily rental for it.

Home quarantine is still better than those special quarantine places.

I wonder which approach Thai government will take.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

In some countries such as China, you must be quarantined in specific hotels/residences and you must pay daily rental for it.

Home quarantine is still better than those special quarantine places.

I wonder which approach Thai government will take.

There are at least 4 of those quarantine places here in Chiang Mai currently in use; all hotels. Foreigners must pay, free for Thais. The home quarantine thing was easier a couple of weeks ago, and now requires considerable negotiation with the Dept. of Health police. We have been through it. There is a process where you must register and will be monitored.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, HungDonger said:

So....My Thai wife and I have spent the last month in the clear air down south in a non 'high risk' region. When we drive home to Chiang Mai I need to self-quarantine for 14 days and she is free to roam as she pleases  !!   Thai logic at it's best.

This is happening not only in Thailand. I have colleagues travelling from overseas to work offshore. They are put into a hotel in Perth and  quarantined for 14 days before going to the oil rig. They are not allowed outside the hotel and food is brought to their rooms. Even our Australian workers who live in other states have to undergo the same quarantine before travelling offshore. Everyone has to play their part in trying to eradicate this virus so stop complaining. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2020 at 11:46 PM, Lacessit said:

That's going to be interesting. I have a friend who is coming back from Pattaya in May. He doesn't tolerate fools gladly, so he may well stay there.

And he lives in Pattaya? No fools there? Must be a different Pattaya than where I have stayed.

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, Lacessit said:

That's going to be interesting. I have a friend who is coming back from Pattaya in May. He doesn't tolerate fools gladly, so he may well stay there.

Under current rules for Chonburi, he wouldn't be allowed to leave Pattaya anyway.

51 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

At least he can get an Haircut in Pattaya

Always been a problem for me. My hair has always been difficult to cut properly. In my youth I've been known to make a 500 mile round trip for a decent haircut.

I've found 2 barbers in Pattaya that can give me a half decent cut. I have both of their personal numbers on my mobile. Should the need arise and hairdressers in Pattaya close, I can arrange a home visit from them.

• Haha 1

This is all just going too far now. Foreigners being discriminated like that... (Not even talking about all the other stuff e.g. TM30, Two Tire Pricing, etc). A good perspective of a total curfew and ban on alcohol. Come on! There's a limit! Is there??? ????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, asiasurfer said:

This is all just going too far now. Foreigners being discriminated like that... (Not even talking about all the other stuff e.g. TM30, Two Tire Pricing, etc). A good perspective of a total curfew and ban on alcohol. Come on! There's a limit! Is there??? ????

What discrimination? It says foreigners and Thai. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 11:13 AM, chuang said:

Complain about visa requirements, extra charge for a glass of ice etc etc etc and now covid-19 quarantine.. WHY the fork you are ???? coming to Thailand....

cause they might have family to take care of. 

Edited by tigerbeer
  • Thanks 1

Hi all!

I ran from CM first day of march after report 90 days because of smog season. I’m currently at a Resort in Chanthaburi, do not report M-30 because IO told me that was not necessary if traveling inside of country. My new report 90 days will be in 3 months..on May 30. I am isolated with wife and the plan is come back home to CM at end of May. 

With new rules, don’t know if I’m doing  wrong, IO no answer phone and I’m sure is not in my mind go to any office to get virus free. Far from the city, Ifeel in a very secure place until Cov-19 is gone.

Any advice? Thanks.

Edited by Tarteso

So how are they enforcing the ban on foreigners from other provinces from entering Chiang Mai province?  Do they have road blocks on all the incoming highways? (Highway 11, 118, 1317, etc).