BANGKOK
Thomas J

3BB Internet Speeds - Confused can someone explain

I have a dell latitude E6430.  It has an  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 
8 gigabyte of Ram 
Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN Wireless Card  Intel 82579 Ethernet card

I was on 3bb 200/200 plan and upgraded to their 1gb 500 gb plan. 

I get wireless speeds up to about 200 mpbs on both uploads and downloads but no faster.  

I hooked it up to the ethernet directly to the router and it was even slower.  

I would think my computer processor is fast enough and the internet says the Intel 82579 is called a gigabyte network connection.  The Centrino wireless is suppose to go up to 450mbps  

Is the problem with the computer hardware or is 3bb still not pushing the speed fast enough?   I have an apple iphone 8+ and it records speeds of about 350 mbps.  

Ethernet cable CAT at least 5 should be faster than WiFi ?, dont

know why yours is not, 

1 GB - 500 GB package you are never going to get that,especially

connecting overseas,so you are wasting your money,does your

router have a Gigabyte port ? if not you will never get the speeds

promised.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

Just used their test site:

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

(you used the same?)
All other results won't be interesting to 3BB!

Numbers are about OK (898/495).

All wired.

I don't have a mobile/WiFi that could come anywhere close to these numbers.

What you can do: check the properties of the LAN/ethernet connection.

Does it say that it is indeed a Gigabit connection?

How to? Depends on your OS.

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

so you are wasting your money

I know that is not of much practical use.

But well it was just a 100 Baht more.

Best I get is youtube Video downloads at about 400 Mbit/s (depends on age and type of video, some are much slower).

Nice to have and I prefer watching with VLC much over the web player.

• Like 1

worgeordie,

It is the router from 3bb.  It has 4 lans ports but none indicate that they are all marked the same. 
I recognize I will never get the 1gb speed advertised.  However the fact that my phone gets faster speeds than my laptop means something in the hardware is part of the issue.  The fact that the Ethernet is slower than the wireless is particularly baffling. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

the Intel 82579 is called a gigabyte network connection.

Small correction: Gigabit. That's one eigth of a Gigabyte.

I think considering that the network card is 9 years old around 200mbps in real world is kinda OK. Maybe it's running on 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz? Check that.

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

1 GB - 500 GB package you are never going to get that,especially

connecting overseas,so you are wasting your money,does your

router have a Gigabyte port ? if not you will never get the speeds

promised.

1 Gbps / 500 Mbps. GB would mean Gigabyte, see above.

I highly doubt the router supports more than 100 Mbps Wifi but has no 1Gbps ethernet port.

All in all a bit hard to diagnose the issue. One hint is that the iPhone gets better speeds so maybe it is using the 5GHz band while your laptop is on 2.4GHz. That's the first thing I would check. The ethernet being slower seems strange, maybe wrong cable?

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just used their test site:

KhunBENQ  Yes I used their test site for both the wireless and ethernet tests.  Strange that the wireless was faster than the ethernet connection and the iphone was faster wireless than the laptop. 

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I highly doubt the router supports more than 100 Mbps Wifi but has no 1Gbps ethernet port.

eisfeld,

It is the router supplied by 3BB and I always got speeds ranging from about 120mbps to 175 mbps on it even with the 200/200 package.  So it must have a speed above 100.  Also my iphone wireless recorded speeds up to about 350 mbps so it is definitely more than 100. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Strange that the wireless was faster than the ethernet connection and the iphone was faster wireless than the laptop. 

The first part yes that is strange, as mentioned possibly a cable issue. But the iPhone being faster than the laptop is not a surprise. The laptop wifi card is quite old and supports only up to "n" standard while the phone is a lot younger and supports "ac".

Nevertheless I think the speeds for both the laptop and your iPhone are too low. Have you also tried at different times of the day with the iPhone? Especially during times when others might not be using the internet as much. Early in the morning for example.

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

It is the router supplied by 3BB and I always got speeds ranging from about 120mbps to 175 mbps on it even with the 200/200 package.  So it must have a speed above 100.  Also my iphone wireless recorded speeds up to about 350 mbps so it is definitely more than 100. 

Exactly, so it can't be a 100mbps Ethernet port and the next speed is 1Gbps and while in the real world it's unlikely to get the full speeds, usually one can get pretty close. More than 20% of the max for sure 🙂

Edited by eisfeld

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Nevertheless I think the speeds for both the laptop and your iPhone are too low

eisfeld,

They just upgraded today so I don't know if it is too many people on the same node.  I just tested my fiance's iphone 10 and she got 450/350.  So the speed is definitely better, I just don't know why the speed on the laptop is so much markedly slower. 

12 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The first part yes that is strange, as mentioned possibly a cable issue.

It is not a cable issue, and neither a Ethernet port issue, currently 3bb has A LOT of issues with their network, and they know it.

There is a topic from me here

And this is the 3bb speed log for 30 days on my "Gigabyte" package. Please note this log is provided by 3bb technical department.

1615731595_speedlog3bb.png.b3e087d2184da70baf29001ab24ba507.png

And my speed tests done today with 3 different browser and connected by LAN Cat5e

1372439596_Firefoxbrowser.PNG.e4f4ecb407e9de3a2c72d486242a7778.PNG1109253045_GoogleChromebrowser.PNG.3f1cf57818630fbfd089e29328c466f8.PNG232912797_Operabrowser.PNG.03c2335b8230ff5d0d7dbcdd5252bd99.PNG

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

It is not a cable issue, and neither a Ethernet port issue, currently 3bb has A LOT of issues with their network, and they know it.

How do you explain that he gets much lower speeds via Ethernet than via Wifi?

I agree though that it's not a port issue.

The total speed of his 3BB uplink is at least 450/350 Mbps as shown by the test with the iPhone 10. His laptop is getting about half of that. The difference can't be because of 3BB.

So there are three things to figure out:

1. Why only 450/350 with iPhone 10. Likely 3BB right now not being able to do more. Test at a time in the middle of the night or early morning.

2. Why his laptop is getting slower speed via Wifi. Could be old card, only "n". Maybe not using the 5GHz band. He can check that easily.

3. Why his laptop is getting even slower speeds via Ethernet. Possibly bad cable. Need to get the cable specs and try a different one.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

How do you explain that he gets much lower speeds via Ethernet than via Wifi

eisfeld,

I 'think" you are correct in terms of the network card.  It is a Gigabit not Gigabyte which would mean it will only deliver about 20% of the speed.  However, the Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300, Dual Band

shows a speed of 450 mbps.  Given the fact that the Iphone x gets that speed there is obviously something different about the ability of the hardware in the laptop versus the iphone.  Any thoughts? 

Why don't you get the 3BB tech round your house to sort all this out?

Make a report and they will send the tech round. I had an issue on Monday, I had them back and forth for three days until it was sorted out and I was happy.

I was only getting slow speeds, the guy changed the hardware, spoke to his local office that gave me the wrong router, then returned the next day because my test results didn't match his, we changed a couple of settings and I was satisfied.

• Like 1

Try each of the Ethernet ports, one at a time. Another topic thread recently mentioned issues where only some of the Gigabit Ethernet ports actually delivered that speed, while the others were vastly less.

How many pieces of equipment have 3BB deployed at your endpoint?

If more than one router/WiFi box then there might be an incompatibility, not to mention double-NAT, occurring. 

I'd also check to see if the computer has any updated network drivers posted on the manufacturer support website.