Jump to content
BANGKOK
Mama Noodle

Portable Generators, Single Phase, What kind do you have?

Recommended Posts

Kicking around the idea of getting a smallish 5.5kw - 7.5kw gas or diesel generator for the house in case of emergencies. 

 

Im not planning on using any kind of ATS or auto switch, but in case the power goes out I might build a little power box to supply a single 12,000 but aircon when its hot, ran by itself, and then my fridge, freezer and water pumps in the daytime when the aircon isn't in use to keep everything frozen and cool. 

 

What brand or manufacturer to you guys recommend? I have alot of experience with generators and engines so im not at all worried about any maintenance, but really just want to make sure I can locate something of decent quality that will at least last a year or 2 with proper maintenance. 

 

This one on Lazada is catching my eye and its an example of what ive been thinking about. 

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tekster-75-kw-18-hp-tk8500e-i389182537-s755820581.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.75.3e894844QgplJg&search=1

 

I would prefer a diesel unit, but they are quite a bit more expensive from what I can see. If anyone has any pics of their setup and can make any recommendations, I would really appreciate it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a KwaiThong 6kVA which is very similar to the Lazada one you link to. We got it in 2012 during the flooding and it's been perfectly reliable since.

 

I have modified it to full auto (there's a thaivisa thread all about that). Trust me, going outside in the dark and the rain to start the beast gets old very quickly, as does realising that the power has been back on for an hour and you've been burning your own fuel.

 

Also, these open frame units are NOISY if you have any neighbours I would seriously consider one of the "silent" units.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crossy said:

We have a KwaiThong 6kVA which is very similar to the Lazada one you link to. We got it in 2012 during the flooding and it's been perfectly reliable since.

 

The 2 plug circuits on the unit you have, what is the rating for each of the outlets? Its one bit of info that nobody seems to put on any of the detail pages. 

 

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Also, these open frame units are NOISY if you have any neighbours I would seriously consider one of the "silent" units.

 

I don't have any immediate neighbors, and I have a perimeter wall, but I totally understand the noise problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

The 2 plug circuits on the unit you have, what is the rating for each of the outlets? Its one bit of info that nobody seems to put on any of the detail pages. 

 

Ours has Schuko outlets which it looks like the Lazada unit has too. They are rated at 16A but being typically German designed they are quite happy at well over that.

 

They are linked together internally so you could wire two plugs together. I did have plans to fit a 32A Commando outlet but since nothing has got hot over the years running with just one (good quality) Schuko plug I've never bothered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Crossy said:

They are linked together internally so you could wire two plugs together. I did have plans to fit a 32A Commando outlet but since nothing has got hot over the years running with just one (good quality) Schuko plug I've never bothered.

 

This was gonna be my next question, I would imagine that behind the panel its just one set of power cables going into 2 plugs, I could just go with a single commando connection to a little sub panel with breakers inside it to switch power to the things I want to use. Sound reasonable? 

 

You think the plugs that come with the generator (from what you can see) can support one 12k BTU Non-Inverter aircon plugged in directly with nothing else running? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and how much did you end up paying for the generator you purchased?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 12k BTU A/C will use about 1,200W when the compressor is running, that's about 5.5A, no issue whatever for the outlet.

 

You need to consider the start-up surge, our genset will (just) start our 12k BTU non-inverter bedroom aircon, it has no problem at all with the 23k BTU inverter unit in the lounge (not at the same time of course).

 

Our chap was 18k Baht in 2012, but it was at the time of the floods when there wasn't one to be found and our existing unit had gone pop!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These very much look like the Rambo generators that I have seen around on my quest for alternative energy, priced around the 15k baht (5k version)

The pot of coins eventually went to solar so no generator here (yet).

 

7 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

This one on Lazada is catching my eye and its an example of what ive been thinking about. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

The pot of coins eventually went to solar so no generator here (yet).

 

But you aren't running an air conditioner or several pumps to make RO water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 11:39 AM, Mama Noodle said:

 

But you aren't running an air conditioner or several pumps to make RO water

No.

But the generator was a serious option as I couldn't bear my paralized bedridden stepdad suffering in the heat when the power went off. Now I have batteries and a 12volt fan ready for him.

 

 

RO water I can get just outside my frontdoor, 5 bath a double gallon.

Coffee taste good. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...