Bank stop to opening new accounts?

It may just be a crisis response. Last year at this time I wasn’t allowed to open a joint account with my new wife. We were told it was because of the uncertainty of the election results. A week after the election results were announced we opened an account with no problem. At that time I waited a month. No telling what they will do now. I’m sure it is not every branch or every bank.

oops I guess it is a coronavirus thing.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

I opened a fixed account today at the Bangkok Bank...

Otherwise I think that the Bangkok Bank is not involved in the 5,000 baht scheme.

Note that the money will be only transfered to an existing account...no handouts.

• Sad 1

Along with many Condos not allowing new tenants.

It makes sense.

I paid my KTB credit card today, it was like getting into Stalag 13, but no complaints.

They set up tellers behind PVC frames with cling wrap over. Very smart idea someone.

They have reduced the areas that serve by 80% & it works

If you can't open an account, you probably can't close one either.  A bank manager in CM confided in me in January that they were already losing many farang accounts due to visa related issues.

16 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Most Thai's I know give BKK bank a wide berth anyway never heard a good word said about the bank from locals most use the government bank or Kasikornbank.

Biggest not best then!

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

Most Thai's I know give BKK bank a wide berth anyway never heard a good word said about the bank from locals most use the government bank or Kasikornbank.

That depends on where one lives. Bangkok Bank in Bangkok is as well used as Bank but other places Bank usually has more ATM and branch offices. We bank at both and my Bangkok Bank branch has much better service than Kasikorn in the same mall. 

I tried to open a deposit account yesterday to put my 400,000 in to get the best interest rate (1.1%) at my Krungsri branch on Samui where I already have an account with a debit card.

I was told no new accounts until April 7th, for the safety of customers and staff yet they were happily conducting all other activities including depositing and drawing cash including foreign exchange where there may be a chance of spreading the virus from notes (unlikely I know).

Thai logic?

2 hours ago, fourpack said:

I think it’s more that many Thais don’t fit Bangkok Bank’s demographic customer target. They aim for the middle class and upwards, urban consumer type of client and are not especially interested in rural farmers and the like.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's prudent sure.

Drop 250k on the desk and ask them if you can open an account lol.

I know a guy from the US who had 10 million baht he wanted to deposit to be able to get a visa based on investments. He was refused at something like 13 bank branches in BKK before he could open an account. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how factual that is. I have 3 accounts with Bangkok Bank and my wife also has one and we have never had a problem.

Factual to what I hear in my neck of the woods I can only state what I hear from locals. Plus Friends I have in many different jobs from teaching to banking.

I have a BKK account used solely to move money from and to Thailand as I get a slightly better deal.

Every day living I use Kasikornbank

Found then to be a lot better opened account got a visa debit and online banking on pink card.

Still to this day BKK refuses to open an online banking for me. Stating constantly WP required total Tosh.

Edited by fourpack

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

New accounts and prompt pay application are suspended until the 6th. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/COVID19-Update

image.png.ea0b6fb64175a06d3459d6972b695ac0.png

Clicking that takes you to this in Thai.

048746f3a38d4c2abcb56b7bd8deab75.ashx

Considering a case of Covic was traced back to BKK Bank Pattaya walking street, seems a good move. Is opening a new account a necessatity at present

4 hours ago, fourpack said:

Factual to what I hear in my neck of the woods...

As you did not give the geographical name of your "neck of the woods" your post lacked that essential detail to be useful to the readers and therefore was not, contrary to what you thought, factual in the real sense.

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I know a guy from the US who had 10 million baht he wanted to deposit to be able to get a visa based on investments. He was refused at something like 13 bank branches in BKK before he could open an account. 

Prolly thought it was I'll gotten gains. Should have just gone with a few hunnit'

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Jeez, u are funny.

Up there with the 10,000 baht electricity bills, the millions of baht in my account, the 6 bedroom villa with a pool, the man that spends 30,000 baht a month on food, un <deleted> ck in believable

Anyway Guderian, good post ,I agree, but with two funerals in my village and this obligation that villagers have to either pay respect or give a donation so close to my house despite my wife's warnings to her sister and mother not to go, the obligation they feel might outweigh the caution they should have. 

We have a village restaurant owner that has just returned from Germany and we have have close relatives that have come from Bangkok.

Will they exercise self isolation, hardly.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 1