BANGKOK
Olmate

Bank stop to opening new accounts?

Heard today Bangkok Bank has stopped opening new accounts, anyone heard similar? Could it be due to rush of Thais and the 5000 baht relief package?

Quite possible and there being responsible about social distancing.

But Thai's don't need a bank account to claim there relief money.

But unfortunately this will result in large queue's at the designated banks.

Posted (edited)

It may just be a crisis response. Last year at this time I wasn’t allowed to open a joint account with my new wife. We were told it was because of the uncertainty of the election results. A week after the election results were announced we opened an account with no problem. At that time I waited a month. No telling what they will do now. I’m sure it is not every branch or every bank.

oops I guess it is a coronavirus thing.

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1

I opened a fixed account today at the Bangkok Bank...

Otherwise I think that the Bangkok Bank is not involved in the 5,000 baht scheme.

Note that the money will be only transfered to an existing account...no handouts.

• Sad 1

It's prudent sure.

Drop 250k on the desk and ask them if you can open an account lol.

• Like 1

Along with many Condos not allowing new tenants.

It makes sense.

I paid my KTB credit card today, it was like getting into Stalag 13, but no complaints.

They set up tellers behind PVC frames with cling wrap over. Very smart idea someone.

They have reduced the areas that serve by 80% & it works

If you can't open an account, you probably can't close one either.  A bank manager in CM confided in me in January that they were already losing many farang accounts due to visa related issues.

Most Thai's I know give BKK bank a wide berth anyway never heard a good word said about the bank from locals most use the government bank or Kasikornbank.

16 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Most Thai's I know give BKK bank a wide berth anyway never heard a good word said about the bank from locals most use the government bank or Kasikornbank.

Biggest not best then!

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

That depends on where one lives. Bangkok Bank in Bangkok is as well used as Bank but other places Bank usually has more ATM and branch offices. We bank at both and my Bangkok Bank branch has much better service than Kasikorn in the same mall. 

I tried to open a deposit account yesterday to put my 400,000 in to get the best interest rate (1.1%) at my Krungsri branch on Samui where I already have an account with a debit card.

I was told no new accounts until April 7th, for the safety of customers and staff yet they were happily conducting all other activities including depositing and drawing cash including foreign exchange where there may be a chance of spreading the virus from notes (unlikely I know).

Thai logic?

2 hours ago, fourpack said:

I think it’s more that many Thais don’t fit Bangkok Bank’s demographic customer target. They aim for the middle class and upwards, urban consumer type of client and are not especially interested in rural farmers and the like.

• Haha 1