Thailand to announce nationwide curfew starting Friday

webfact

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Quite stringent measures for a Country that shows so few cases ????

I don't think they are stringent at all. I cannot see how a curfew during hours that most people are indoors anyway will make any difference at all to curbing the virus. Secondly, the infected people in Thailand is undoubtably higher in Thailand then formally quoted. It is likely higher in every country but adding to the lack of trust in government numbers I suspect it is MUCH higher. Best thing you can do is fill your cupboards and stay in the grounds of your property. stay safe and take care.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Don't hesitate, make it from 9 p.m. till 5 a.m., but just do keep it there, ...and do enforce it! After so many years, I have a bit of an idea how things do work here (well, "work"...?), and, IMHO, with the exception of true emergencies (health, fire) nothing important needs to happen involving the outside "world" within that time bracket. ...It might avoid more strict, later rules, but, maybe, who knows, that doesn't fit into the military dictators' master plan, which could be to progressively turn the screw tighter by half turns, not to release the grip for a looong time?

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

A closed beach will do 100% zero to improve things.....

Do you think all or most people using open beaches would follow the needed SOCIAL DISTANCING? I don't. Thus I disagree with you. Of course they could keep them open and try to enforce the social distancing but that would use resources they don't probably have.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Parsve said:

So, lets say I invent friends to a big party 9.30 pm.  we are partying, drinking and dancing to music on high level and at 10.30 pm some neighbour call the police and tell them what is going on. So what should the police do? they could, because the curfve not ask us to leave before 4 am. So the party could go on.   

Don't know where you come from, but pity you didn't get back there in time! I'm not Thai, or obsessed by Thainess at all, but you're the kind of misfit(!) making decent expats' lifes difficult, get lost!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sambum said:

2200 - 1600?

You do realise that that is 10 o'clock at night until 4 o'clock the following afternoon (a lot later than "dawn"  - in fact I would say approaching dusk again!) ???? 

Darn! Thank you for spotting that, and sorry I got my hours mixed up. Was supposed to be 0400 hrs... LOL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, z42 said:

What's the point? The numbers of covid19 deaths will be astronomical whether or not a curfew is imposed or not. Plus the numbers given up to now are pathetic and an insult to even the stupidest in society.

This curfew will just squeeze the life out of the people even more. The country is gonna be in a dreadful state when this thing is declared over and borders open, etc again.

If the economy doesn't collapse completely i'll be amazed

There is no doubt that there is going to be a huge issue when this ends.  Even NCC1701A was able to cast a spell and end this tomorrow Thailand is still going to be screwed.

International tourism is going to be a thing of the past because 

a, people willhave little money

b. people are going to be wary of going anywhere they do not know.

Thai businesses are going to have to gear their business toward Thais and not tourists.

People are not going to be going to ping pong shows

Massage parlours will not have the business

MBK will not have the huge tourist crowds to rip off. Malls like EMquartier and Siam paragon are going to have a lot of buisiness  because Thais donot have the money for high end clothes like Prada.

NA businesses will also have issues

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

A closed beach will do 100% zero to improve things.....

A closed beach will stop people "congregating" which I believe is one of the main causes for the infection being passed on.

1 hour ago, Walter Travolta said:

Seeing as you were having fun I will come back with "Whats wrong with old fashioned courting, when your eyes met across a 50% populated room?"

i prefer the guaranteed bang at the end of the evening to the courting.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Spot on mate!

im on my 3rd vodka and mango.

cheers! 

Don't know about you, but I will be joining the massive queue outside Big-C at 11:00 am, to buy as much booze as I can, if there will be any left? 

Total ban on alcohol sales will probably be coming soon?

????

• Like 1

Here in Arizona, they now have a 5pm curfew.  Those out after 5pm will have to have a really good excuse for being out.  Restaurants, bars, movie theaters, hair salons, bowling alleys, libraries, schools everything closed down.  Supermarkets and 7/11's still open.  The streets are really empty.  

4 hours ago, z42 said:

What's the point? The numbers of covid19 deaths will be astronomical whether or not a curfew is imposed or not. Plus the numbers given up to now are pathetic and an insult to even the stupidest in society.

This curfew will just squeeze the life out of the people even more. The country is gonna be in a dreadful state when this thing is declared over and borders open, etc again.

If the economy doesn't collapse completely i'll be amazed

Economies are collapsing everywhere

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i mean .... it's not all strict and exact by the rules. Common sense does play a part ....  cheers.

And as we have seen from the example in Phuket with a roofparty a couple of days a go and before that a party on a hotel,  I believe that was in Chiang Mai, common sence is what we can expect both from thais and farrangs? 

4 minutes ago, Terry2905 said:

Don't know about you, but I will be joining the massive queue outside Big-C at 11:00 am, to buy as much booze as I can, if there will be any left? 

Total ban on alcohol sales will probably be coming soon?

????

yes .... i would expect by Sunday ... just imo

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Parsve said:

So, lets say I invent friends to a big party 9.30 pm.  we are partying, drinking and dancing to music on high level and at 10.30 pm some neighbour call the police and tell them what is going on. So what should the police do? they could, because the curfve not ask us to leave before 4 am. So the party could go on.   

No need for the BIB to ASK anyone to leave, I think. They'd probably MAKE you all to leave by throwing you into the back of their van/pickup and carting you off to the Bangkok Hilton (or the nearest local equivalent). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parsve said:

And as we have seen from the example in Phuket with a roofparty a couple of days a go and before that a party on a hotel,  I believe that was in Chiang Mai, common sence is what we can expect both from thais and farrangs? 

why are you even discussing ways that do or don't break the law ????????????????????????? fmd ...

enough said ... 

27 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Don't know where you come from, but pity you didn't get back there in time! I'm not Thai, or obsessed by Thainess at all, but you're the kind of misfit(!) making decent expats' lifes difficult, get lost!

What I tried to say was that a partly crefew do have a very limited effect. Obviously you did not understand that and thus I failed with my intent and I have to apologize.

I am booked to fly to Bangkok on monday 6th to enable me to catch my QATAR flight to Australia on friday. I have to go on monday and stay in airport hotel for 3 days,as Bankok air will not be flying after then. This will be my 2nd attempt to fly out as Air Asia cancelled my flight to Brisbane tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I must admit I've lost interest in the Covid emergency for the time being. Sure, I'll follow all the rules, and do my best, but it's the damn heat that is killing me at the moment. I can't seem to get enough fluids in me to counter all the sweating. I don't see how the virus could survive more than a few seconds outside in the 40 degree heat.

I can't wait until things are getting back to normal and we can have a good whinge and moan about all the normal vagaries of life here in Thailand.

Well, if you choose to reside in the self-declared "belly-button of Isaan", what do you expect in the peak of the hot season? A Skegness climate? ???? I know myself how hot it can be, having lived there or thereabouts for many years right through the hot season. And I know the only thing for it is to cram any physical activity into the early morning hours, the sweat it out for the rest of the day in the shade of a mango tree with just a pakoma on, sipping cold ones regularly and praying for a thunder storm or freak cooling shower in the late pm. 

But I wouldn't ignore the perils of the coronavirus either - it's out there and spreading and doesn't mind a bit of 40 C heat it seems. In fact, it might be quite glad to jump into a slightly cooler human body for refuge, as its overwhelming virus instinct is to survive and multiply. So take sensible precautions and avoid unnecessary contact with others and you might just avoid becoming an unwilling host for Mister COVID-19 to breed and feed. As I can assure you, having the virus and putting up with the heat in a crammed to the gunwhales Isaan hospital would not be a happy combination. ???? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parsve said:

What I tried to say was that a partly crefew do have a very limited effect. Obviously you did not understand that and thus I failed with my intent and I have to apologize.

Sorry to have hurt your positive feelings. Partly curfews actually do work, ...with a large public support and a strong police/army enforcement, both which can hardly be expected here. But, then, a a total curfew would'n work either for the same reasons. And the little green men with a huge ego don't seem to be ready to swallow the, very much expectable, huge fiasco of such a measure, proving the very limited extent of their real authority with the populace...

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

In reality the UK have gone further because the measures bought in are actually being enforced. 
It’s 10pm til 4am. How is that stopping people going to work?

We have a good few factories in this area ,all work  shifts ,and those on afters, 2pm -10pm will still have to get home ,and some night shifts do not start until 10pm .

A vet friend of mine has calved a few cows at night time ,in a past life I have done a few ,what will happen there ,a dead cow and beef burgers for breakfast .

Just give everyone hydroxychloroquin and azithromycin and then we can all go back to normal. Its 98% effective, unless you are a chronic diabetic or already have other major health issues. The USA is slowly waking up to this FACT. Does anyone know if its legal to buy these medicines in Bangkok? They are useful as a prophylactic for prevention.

Edited by joe jadore
  • Sad 1

Needless to say Pattaya will never be the same again!!! When this China madness is over, I predict 50% of all bars and restaurants in Pattaya will be out of business for good! Thailand is going to have to choose between China or the West for customers, China will be the outcasts of the world when this is all said and done!!! Boycott everything evil, communist China!!!!!!! #MAGA2020

• Like 1
  • Sad 2